KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Do we need something like Space Marines into the new Trek alternate universe?

Do we need something like Space Marines into the new Trek alternate universe?
Started by: Shey Tapani

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Abu-Bactr

Do we need something like Space Marines into the new Trek alternate universe?

I mean the federation has no real ground forces, just starfleet.

Old Post May 29th, 2010 06:46 AM
Abu-Bactr is currently offline Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I don't think many ground vehicles would be viable in the Star Trek universe. But it would be nice if they upped the ante on their security teams though. Like up their tactics and whatnot. For everyone. Granted, fight scenes weren't usually the backbone of the entertainment but it'd be nice if it was a little more "realistic".

Old Post May 29th, 2010 07:52 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

" don't think many ground vehicles would be viable in the Star Trek universe."

Why?

Old Post May 29th, 2010 10:14 AM
Abu-Bactr is currently offline Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I think technology is to the point where the amount of resources you'd require to keep such vehicles safe would leave you with pretty much a land shuttlecraft. So why not just heavy up some shuttlecrafts? Also, at that point, when one of these tanks do explode the explosion would wipe out a lot of people.

The dunebuggy thing was okay, though in the context it was pretty goofy, because it's fast and lightweight. You can get troops in quickly, maybe put a small forcefield on it. If transporting doesn't work that is.

Old Post May 29th, 2010 08:27 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

Yeah but we still need groundfrce, Starfleet is just not enough.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 06:32 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I think technology is to the point where the amount of resources you'd require to keep such vehicles safe would leave you with pretty much a land shuttlecraft. So why not just heavy up some shuttlecrafts? Also, at that point, when one of these tanks do explode the explosion would wipe out a lot of people.
^This. And I think the Runabouts, Delta Flyer, and other heavy support craft pretty much prove that simple shuttlecraft aren't Starfleets only air superiority ships.

Seriously, with the level of technology that we see in Trek (sensors able to target huge groups or individuals from orbit, or transporters for example) ground force simply aren't as important as space/air superiority. Besides that, the Dominion War states the existence of ground soldiers, we just aren't given the specifics of size how they operate. We know the technology they use, however, from previous episodes.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 12:52 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

They canat station Starships above every planet, sometimes they have to occupy planets.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:14 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shey Tapani
They canat station Starships above every planet, sometimes they have to occupy planets.
Occupation really doesn't align with Starfleet or the Federations way of working. They don't conquer planets; they're a peacekeeping and defense force. However, as I stated above, the Federation has ground forces numbering in the millions, which have been referred to in several Ds9 episodes.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 12:45 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

What if they have to occupy one until the new just government is set up?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2010 07:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

The Federation does have elite forces like "Space Marines", they're just not abroad the exploration vessels. They're essentially just higher combat trained Federation personnel.

Unless the story involves a war, I don't see a need to bring this in. Besides, there's nothing Cpt. Kirk can't handle himself with a punch and/or kiss.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 12:01 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

"Unless the story involves a war,"

There were many wars in Trek.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2010 03:55 PM