KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Starfleet Uniforms - Why Not Combat Fatigues?

Starfleet Uniforms - Why Not Combat Fatigues?
Started by: Darth Truculent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Starfleet Uniforms - Why Not Combat Fatigues?

During the Dominion War (or any war), they do not wear combat fatigues or body armor like the Klingons. Why is that?

War Doctor

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 07:01 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Starfleet Uniforms - Why Not Combat Fatigues?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
During the Dominion War (or any war), they do not wear combat fatigues or body armor like the Klingons. Why is that?

Body armor is pointless considering the weapons they're facing. A simple phaser can disintegrate a person and everything on him/her.

As far as combat fatigues, they don't nearly look as fashionable.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 08:45 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

My guess would be that fatigues essentially become pointless when the technology to scope a person out using tricorders and sensors is so readily available.

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 08:54 PM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I'd be for some kind of basic camo, in the case of sensor blindness.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 03:56 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

The same reason that phasers looked like ugly remote controllers: Gene Roddenbery didn't want Starfleet to be an overly militaristic military (I know it sounds oxymoronic).

There were many times in TNG that the crew members stated that their ship (despite being the flagship of Starfleet) was not a ship of war but a ship of discovery.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 04:46 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Omega Vision
The same reason that phasers looked like ugly remote controllers: Gene Roddenbery didn't want Starfleet to be an overly militaristic military (I know it sounds oxymoronic).

There were many times in TNG that the crew members stated that their ship (despite being the flagship of Starfleet) was not a ship of war but a ship of discovery.

thumb up

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 06:53 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

To be fair, towards the end of DS9 (and in First Contact) the uniforms did change to the black and grey patterns, which were much more practical and hard wearing to reflect Starfleet's readiness to deal with anything combat related.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2010 03:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

In the series Enterprise, Archer does take in a squad of Marines during the Xindi war story; they do have fatigues. Though this is before the Federation.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2010 05:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Robtard
In the series Enterprise, Archer does take in a squad of Marines during the Xindi war story; they do have fatigues. Though this is before the Federation.

Back when mankind still had balls.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2010 10:16 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Back when mankind still had balls.

Sisko/Worf/Pre-beard Riker > Enterprise Marines.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2010 03:57 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by -Pr-

Worf is a Klingon.

Riker and Sisko are outliers.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2010 03:32 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by -Pr-

The beard comment is spot-on, that thing grew and Riker's balls shrinked.

Remember in the ep. Deja Q. Q makes a couple of hot women appear on each of Riker's arms as a reward; Riker looks back in disgust and states "I don't need your fantasy women."

Pre-beard Riker would have been all over that shit and given Q the nod to make those two hot bitches appear in his quarters.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2010 04:13 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Robtard
The beard comment is spot-on, that thing grew and Riker's balls shrinked.

Remember in the ep. Deja Q. Q makes a couple of hot women appear on each of Riker's arms as a reward; Riker looks back in disgust and states "I don't need your fantasy women."

Pre-beard Riker would have been all over that shit and given Q the nod to make those two hot bitches appear in his quarters.

I personally think that beard Riker was much cooler than pre-beard Riker.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2010 04:21 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Yeah, beardless Riker was kind of a shit. But to be fair, that beard was so astounding that the charisma bonus might be throwing me off.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2010 03:18 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Yeah, beardless Riker was kind of a shit. But to be fair, that beard was so astounding that the charisma bonus might be throwing me off.

He did become a better character once he had the beard, didn't he?

For the new movies - I was pleased at how they handled the old style uniforms, with the extra touches that didn't date them as much. But they have no pockets. Give them Han Solo-type TESB jackets to carry extra things like phasers & communicators, when they go off ship.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 31st, 2010 03:38 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote