KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Street-Level Tournament: Planning Phase

Street-Level Tournament: Planning Phase
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Street-Level Tournament: Planning Phase

Rule #1: Don't "sign up" or post your picks in this thread. This is just to discuss the details of the tourney. Here are the rules as they stand now, and at the bottom is what I'd like you guys to help me decide.

Number of participants: 16

Number of picks: 3 Each (not at the same time though…spread out through 3 rounds).

Fight format: Still torn between 'team' and 'amalgam'. Will be decided later (please vote).

Draft format: Each member will PM me their pick for round 1, then 2, etc. (I'll make threads for each). If it's already been picked, I will PM them back and tell them to pick again. Once 16 are picked, I will post all 16 so that other can eliminate them from their list of potential picks, but will not say who has picked each person (so that full teams will not be known so one person can't pick based upon another's strategy). At this point, if there are any problems with other people's picks (you think they're too powerful, etc.) it can be discussed. You will know who you are fighting and when, but not your opponents picks until the fight begins (eliminating the need for pre-fight write-ups and making people debate on the fly).
Important: A link/bio must be provided for each character, just like the last tourney. I will not consider that character ‘picked’ until it is accompanied by a link that provides a credible bio.

Mind/Body: If we decide on an amalgam format, one of the 3 picks body's will be chosen as it has been in this tourney. However, you will get everyone's "mind" so all of you powers will be utilized to their full extent. But the minds will have to "work together"...if heroes are mixed with villians (think Batman/Slade) it might not be so good (a perfect example would be Loki/Thor...if they had to share control, they'd ruin everything). This will give everyone full control of their abilities, but still keep a layer of strategy to the "mind" portion of the amalgam (if we do amalgam). This way, heroes and villains can still work well together toward a common goal, but obvious enemies or people who approach fights in different manners might hinder the process.

Voting Eligibility Date: To be announced

Limits: In general, the limit is "powerful street level" which includes up to Spider-Man and his villians. Carnage is a bit beyond them, so he is banned. But anything “below” Carnage is acceptable.
-Strength: Class 20
Speed: Enhanced Human (Spider-Man limit)
Durability: Below Luke Cage (i.e. Cage is banned, any below is ok) Black Panther is ok.
No magic (that includes anything…spells, items, etc.)
No telepathy (Psylocke is ok though)
No phasing, illusions, invisibility, or flight
Energy Projection Limit: Upper limit Cyclops. Acceptable picks would include Gambit, Electro, Shocker, etc.

Characters come equipped with “standard equipment” (I'm not knowledgable enough to know what each character's standard equipment is, but Bats will at least have a few batarangs and his "latcher" and whatever other standard stuff he normally has, Cap will have his shield, Daredevil will have his cane-weapon thingy, Wolverine will have a couple fanboys to use as a human shield, etc.)

Sign-Ups: A specific thread will be started to sign up for the tourney. I will post in this thread when I will make it. The winner of the recent amalgam tournament is assured a spot in the tourney if he wants it. Other than that, no assured entries...anyone who is a member will be eligible. Others can sign-up afterwards as 'alternates' in case someone drops out. Sign-up thread will be posted next Sunday…I will announce the exact time later in this thread. The first draft thread will probably be the Sunday after that, and we’ll follow a weekly schedule like that (1 draft per week, then 2 fights per week)

Specific Banned Members: Longshot, Luke Cage, Havoc, Carnage, (others as I think of them)

Character Notes: Cyclops cannot take off his visor. Hawkeye comes with the following equipment (to be announced).

Other Notes: Characters do NOT have to be from comics. But you must still provide a credible link/bio for them and they must meet the criteria for the tournament. Also, characters will understand that they are in a death-match scenario. Thus, an argument of “Spider-Man never kills” is invalid.

Battles: Who will face whom in the first round will be chosen randomly (by my dog, actually). All battle environments will also be chosen randomly by me. All of them will be “Earth environments.” Thus, we won’t have any space battles, or battles in other dimensions, but there will still be some occasional unique scenarios, and possible advantages based upon the surroundings. Characters needing a specific environment to use certain powers will not be accomodated (like Jack Hawksmoor with cities), and each team/amalgam will have to adapt to the environment provided in the battle.

I retain the right to make final judgments at any time on matters, since otherwise it could devolve into chaos and arguing. But I will listen to any and all comments and try to make the best decisions I can based upon them.

Here’s what I need from you…If you are very displeased with some aspect of the tourney, say so, and it can be discussed. I realize some different methods of drafting, fighting, etc. have been discussed. The current rules are merely what I thought was best based on the majority of peoples’ opinions. I also need votes for either team format (separate characters) or amalgam format (picks melded into one fighter). There are pros and cons to both formats, and feel free to discuss them. If a clear consensus cannot be reached, we will do amalgam. I also need votes for or against flight. Personally, I’m against it, since I think it would require everyone to either have a flyer or a good energy guy, and thus would limit picks more than they would be otherwise, but if enough think flight is ok I’ll change it.

-DM cool

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 05:34 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

i vote for amalgam and against flight

the having three minds thing is kinda weird.... what about one mind, but with full access to the experience and knowledge of the other two?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 05:58 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zachrivard
Kratos

sounds good i vote for amalgam and i vote agianst flight i think the battle would be more interesting on the ground

Dr. Polaris," Arent you gonna wash your hands?" Lex Luthor,"........No, Cause I'm Evil." thanks to digi for the sig

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 07:47 PM
zachrivard is currently offline Click here to Send zachrivard a Private Message Find more posts by zachrivard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like the amalgam, and I don't want flight allowed either.
And I agree with scoob about having total control over all the minds and getting all experience and such.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 07:55 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zachrivard
Kratos

Thats 3 votes for amalgam and 3 votes for no flight and 3 votes( counting me) for "having total control over all the minds and getting all experience and such."

Dr. Polaris," Arent you gonna wash your hands?" Lex Luthor,"........No, Cause I'm Evil." thanks to digi for the sig

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 08:34 PM
zachrivard is currently offline Click here to Send zachrivard a Private Message Find more posts by zachrivard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dizzle
KMC Authority!!!

I vote amalgam as well... And I'm also against flight. Cuz amalgams rule and flight limits the team I have in mind. big grin

2 things though...
1) Will we allow passive magic enchantments to items and/or technology enhanced weapons? (Deathstroke's staff)

2) Are we allowed to pick a certain stage in a characters evolution? I have one in mind, but his "full power" form is way the heck too strong, where his initial state is perfect for this tourney.

DarkCrawler is my hero... RESPECT LEONARD NIMOY!!!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 09:23 PM
Dizzle is currently offline Click here to Send Dizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Dizzle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zachrivard
Kratos

i think we should stick to comic charecters

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 09:58 PM
Dizzle
KMC Authority!!!

And I don't. You can pick 3 comic characters, but as long as the non comic ones fit the restrictions, why do you really care?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 10:48 PM
Dizzle is currently offline Click here to Send Dizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Dizzle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nataku8188
KMC Tyrant

I say we either do amalgam or 3 character teams with 1v1 matches. So, I send in my order and my opponent sends my order to the host, and then he posts the orders. So my first guy vs his first guy, etc. etc.

No flight is good, no split mind b/s. I say abilities like precog and spider-sense shouldn't be allowed, healing factors should have specific limits set on them, and all character's strength must be established before fights.

This forum sucks.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 10:56 PM
Nataku8188 is currently offline Click here to Send Nataku8188 a Private Message Find more posts by Nataku8188 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

I vote for amalgam, and vote for flight. Not that it apparently matters. One thing: are we allowed to limit a character, if one aspect of their power is against the rules, can we limit that while still allowing the character itself? I used my example of Sauron in SS' tournament. Life draining was against the rules, but he had other useful powers, so I could have used him if I had wanted to minus life draining.

EDIT: I disagree with the proposed limit on "spider senses" Nataku brought up. The whole justification for allowing characters like Bullseye and Cyclops is that many of use would have some spider-sense type of thing to help use dodge better.

Last edited by Khellendros on Aug 14th, 2005 at 11:05 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 10:58 PM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dizzle
KMC Authority!!!

I like the mind amalgamation idea... It brings strategy into the character picking. You need all good guys, or all bad guys, or at least guys that wouldn't immediately want to kill each other. Though I admit, it's gonna make some of the psychos impossible to accomodate. Carnage would have been a bad choice even if he were allowed...

Oh yea, and spider sense is all good. No one's gonna be fast enough to dodge everything, even with some precog.

Or Nataku could just want Bullseye+Electro to run through everyone without trying...

Last edited by Dizzle on Aug 14th, 2005 at 11:08 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:05 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Amalgam seems to be the overwhelming favorite.

Khell's the lone vote for flight, so right now it's a no go, but if enough people vote for it I'll reinstate it.

And the mind thing...personally, I thought my method was kinda cool, but apparently no one else thinks so. We'll take it back to "One Mind. All experiences of the three characters." It should simplify things a bit.

All other things (passive magic enchantments, limiting a character's abilities, picking certain stages in evolution, etc.) will have to be dealt with on an individual basis. Some people might have 'mystical' power, but they aren't any more powerful than a regular street-level. They would be ok (as long as they didn't phase, create illusions, etc.). I actually see no problem with picking a character at a certain point so that they're within the limits, or 'taking away' a power from someone to make them legal. But like I said, I'll assess them on a more individual basis either in the draft, or when we discuss the picks (feel free to PM me with questions about specific picks if you don't want to say their names on this thread).

Speaking of the draft, each round will be a different week, but I'm changing it slightly. If someone is a popular pick (and a few like Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Deathstroke will be) I don't want people PM'ing back and forth with me to try and find a not-taken pick. But I also don't want to see this in draft Pm's..."I pick Deathstroke, but if he's taken I want Doc Ock and if he's taken I want Beast." So we'll have a "First Round Draft Thread" and when a character is picked I'll post it in the thread (but I won't say who picked them) so that everyone will know not to try to pick him/her. It should also give us longer to discuss picks in case they're border-line with the rules.

And please don't try to 'sneak past the rules' with a pick. Be honest with who you try to draft. It could very well backfire, and the pick will get banned and you'll lose time and possible picks to other participants.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:13 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nataku8188
No flight is good, no split mind b/s. I say abilities like precog and spider-sense shouldn't be allowed, healing factors should have specific limits set on them, and all character's strength must be established before fights.

Spider-sense will be allowed. Spidey still gets hit...he's not untouchable.

Healing factor...I agree, but what limit? We're allowing Wolverine, and does anyone have a better healing factor than him who's legal? Logan doesn't heal automatically from wounds, so he'll be an asset (and so will other healers like Lady DS, Deadpool, etc) but not an automatic win. If you can quantify healing factor better than me (since I can't accurately do it) feel free to suggest it.

And as for the charatcer strength, the limit is set (I'm thinking about making it 10 Tons though) and power melding is acceptable (if you figure out a way to increase your strength meshing 2 legal characters). And I wasn't planning on letting the teams be known until the actual battle, so the fights will be less planned out and more 'think on your feet' debating. Setting a strength of each character might mess with that some, unless you were to PM me with details, or if it was obvious what the character's strength is.

Scoob, Hawkeye's in your sig so I'm assuming you know something about him...What's a decent "standard equipment" for him where he'd be formidable enough to be a good pick but not too powerful? And I don't know enough about everyone to say what their standard equipment should be, but assume that you'll have the basics (and characters like Bullseye will get things to throw)...I'll determine what standard equipment is as the draft goes on...if someone's pick might be determined based upon what a character does or doesn't start with, PM me to ask.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:28 PM
zachrivard
Kratos

i dont think u should be able to limit charectersit makes it more chalenging to find charecters that fit the "street level" requierment

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:32 PM
Nataku8188
KMC Tyrant

Well, Wolverine's healing factor has done some random ass things, but I say we set a 100% sure limit to it so that it's like;

"Can heal wounds up to bullet wounds in several minutes, broken bones fractures and torn ligaments in an hour or so, and no healing from serious internal injuries/acid/heavy burning" Which is pretty much how it's defined in the handbook, even though Wolvie exceeds his 'limits' regularly.

As for the no removal of spider-sense, we have to set a standard, because, like the healing factor, it's had great days and bad days. Sometimes he can't dodge a punch from Wolverine, but he can dodge a flurry of attacks from doc ock, or a shot from Bullseye. So we should set it so he can like "Easily dodge attacks from untrained opponents, and can dodge bullets/arrows/well trained opponents a modest amount of the time."

This forum sucks.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:43 PM
Nataku8188 is currently offline Click here to Send Nataku8188 a Private Message Find more posts by Nataku8188 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Healing factor...I agree, but what limit? We're allowing Wolverine, and does anyone have a better healing factor than him who's legal? Logan doesn't heal automatically from wounds, so he'll be an asset (and so will other healers like Lady DS, Deadpool, etc) but not an automatic win. If you can quantify healing factor better than me (since I can't accurately do it) feel free to suggest it.

Well, I don't think Wolverine can regrow a severed limb, whereas Deadpool and, I believe, Agent X can regrow limbs, and Deadpool has come back from being shot in the head. So, maybe we limit it to around Wolverine's average. You have to try harder to kill him than most people, but enough damage will bring him down eventually.

Last edited by Khellendros on Aug 14th, 2005 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:48 PM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Sounds good Nat. Unless there's objections, I'll use that limit word-for-word for Wolverine, as well as for Spidey (with possible slight changes). But thanks.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:50 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Khellendros
Well, I don't think Wolverine can regrow a severed limb, whereas Deadpool, I believe, Agent X can regrow limbs, and Deadpool has come back from being shot in the head. So, maybe we limit it to around Wolverine's average. You have to try harder to kill him than most people, but enough damage will bring him down eventually.

For anyone beyond Wolverine, we'll have to set a limit slightly beyond what Wolvie can do, but not outlandish. If Deadpool loses an arm, he might grow it back but not before the match is over (same with a bullet in the brain). I'll write one up that's similar to what Nat provided for Wolverine, but slightly more powerful.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:55 PM
zachrivard
Kratos

sounds like its gonna be a fun tournament

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 11:56 PM
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

Originally posted by DigiMark007
But I also don't want to see this in draft Pm's..."I pick Deathstroke, but if he's taken I want Doc Ock and if he's taken I want Beast." So we'll have a "First Round Draft Thread" and when a character is picked I'll post it in the thread (but I won't say who picked them) so that everyone will know not to try to pick him/her. It should also give us longer to discuss picks in case they're border-line with the rules.

Wouldn't it be easier to post the picks here? I don't think knowing which characters the other posters are drafting is going to make any difference anyway. It'll save a lot of to and fro.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 12:03 AM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote