KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tourney!

Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tourney!
Started by: curryman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (90): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
curryman

Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tourney!

Curryman's Meta-Amalgam Tournament

Step 1; Drafting
Choose any 3 characters from High Meta or below.

Body: You choose the body of a character.
Mind: You put the mind of a character in said body.
Powers: You endow said person with a power-set.

Simply put; Body + Mind + Power = Your Amalgam

Step 2; Power Limitations
Make sure that your character does not violate any of these rules/limitations

- No death-moves, this means attacks that by their very nature are completely unavoidable and un-defendable against.
- No offensive matter manipulation (ie. Can not be used directly on the battlefield/opponents)
- No multiplying (ie. Multiple Man, dupli-kate, multi-paul).
- Power Absorption/Copying/Amplification is not allowed beyond the obvious benefits on your amalgamation.
- No going past mach 10
- No time manipulation
- No complete/inherent invulnerability
- No body-swapping; as I feel this goes against the purpose of an amalgam tourney.
- Changes made to the tier list after this date will not count towards the tourney.

Step 3; Personalize it
Look at the characters you've drafted and terrible yet wonderful amalgamation of them.

Think of a name for your creation.
Find a theme song for your creation.

Step 4; Strategy Limitations
These are restrictions in which you'll be fighting

- 30 seconds prep-time
- Prep-time is strictly 30 seconds to choose your gear, nothing can be created
- The amalgamated characters' resources have been conveniently pooled
- Only basic knowledge of opponents (participants are subject to mind-wipes)
- No memory retention (ie, knowledge of previous fights in-tourney)
- 1 independent construction; Can not go above high-meta, must be created in-battle.
- Battleground is surrounded by an enormous forcefield, if you go through one side then you reappear at the other. Combatants are not aware of this
- No loopholes; I, the host, will decide what is within the rules and what is not
- Feats from after the draft finishes will not be eligible

Draft Information:

- Drafting starts June 27th 8:00 AM GMT+0. British standard
- Characters will be drafted one at a time
- First come first serve
- Specify what part of the amalgam you draft your character for
- If your character is rejected, you have to pick again
- You might be forced to redraft if someone makes a valid case against a character when the drafts are posted

Information of battles will arrive later, depending on the number of participants and judges. Ideally I'd like 7 days to a fight and then 3-4 days to judge.

Participants sign up here!
Judges PM me!
Please ask if you have any questions/need clarifications.

Last edited by Badabing on Jul 25th, 2013 at 09:59 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 10:25 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Sign me up.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 12:04 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Down to judge. Just PM me to remind me when I'm up. I'm not around occasionally.

You may have to tweak a couple of those rules, or clarify some. The mind/body/power things opens a couple interesting loopholes as well. I'll have to see if I can remember what was done in the past that you may want to prepare for (but right now I'm drawing a blank).

But, good start.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 24th, 2013 at 01:36 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 01:33 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Looks good Curryman. I have a few questions. First, say somebody chooses the mind of someone with tp or tk, does that translate into the amalgam as well or would that be strictly considered a power? Second, people will likely try to find loopholes around the prep time limit, or flat out exceed it. Is it up to the judges to figure out what's plausible or will that fall on the tournament host?

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 03:14 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Badabing
Looks good Curryman. I have a few questions. First, say somebody chooses the mind of someone with tp or tk, does that translate into the amalgam as well or would that be strictly considered a power? Second, people will likely try to find loopholes around the prep time limit, or flat out exceed it. Is it up to the judges to figure out what's plausible or will that fall on the tournament host?

A very good question, our scaled Moderator.

Mind: What constitutes as a mind-ability are things that the characters have learned. While I am a bit reticent to give away possible strong picks, it is safe to say that any skill that a character has not been "given" but earned would count as "The Mind." Fantomex' ability to read body language, Stark's intelligence, Karnak's ability to perceive weaknesses and so on smile

Telepathy/Telekinesis. These things often come as a result of a freak accident, being some kind of advanced human or as a mutant gift. As such they would count towards powers. However, if a form of telepathy has been "learned" through mental discipline, I would be willing to allow it.

I plan on deciding what is allowed and what isn't, but it will naturally be up to each individual judge to determine if they felt that the abilities "meshed" well. There will not be hundreds of participants and as such it will be possible to deal with this on a character-by-character basis, if need be.

Judge input will naturally be very valuable, as will feedback and advice from the Tourney Veterans!

I hope that helped clarify things.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 03:25 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by curryman
A very good question, our scaled Moderator.

Mind: What constitutes as a mind-ability are things that the characters have learned. While I am a bit reticent to give away possible strong picks, it is safe to say that any skill that a character has not been "given" but earned would count as "The Mind." Fantomex' ability to read body language, Stark's intelligence, Karnak's ability to perceive weaknesses and so on smile

Telepathy/Telekinesis. These things often come as a result of a freak accident, being some kind of advanced human or as a mutant gift. As such they would count towards powers. However, if a form of telepathy has been "learned" through mental discipline, I would be willing to allow it.

I plan on deciding what is allowed and what isn't, but it will naturally be up to each individual judge to determine if they felt that the abilities "meshed" well. There will not be hundreds of participants and as such it will be possible to deal with this on a character-by-character basis, if need be.

Judge input will naturally be very valuable, as will feedback and advice from the Tourney Veterans!

I hope that helped clarify things.
Okay. It sounds like you're covering things well. thumb up

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 03:40 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I'd be down to judge, can't really commit to much more than that.

You might want to add a limit on killability or regeneration though.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 03:40 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Ready to judge on command.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 05:11 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Need participants. Looks like that will be harder. 3 judges already, sorry 4 since delph said he would in the vs. forum. We've done as few as 6 competitors with an odd round-robin style, but usually you need 8 or more for a viable tourney.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 06:18 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i'd be down with 4 competitors. everyone wants to be a judge. blah. y'all suck.

what if the battle format were changed to match the title style matches? 5 post max/person/battle? might generate more interest if everyone knew there wouldn't be 10 pg battles. just a suggestion.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 10:22 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by leonidas

what if the battle format were changed to match the title style matches? 5 post max/person/battle? might generate more interest if everyone knew there wouldn't be 10 pg battles. just a suggestion.

thumb up

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 11:34 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

I left a few things "unbanned" so that people wouldn't feel like their creativity was shut down completely, however: Newjak brought up a very interesting point for mind, magic!

Magic; I'm willing to allow this under the Mind category. I looked at a few of the other tournaments and as far as I can tell, at least one of them rolled with magic available through magic. Keep in mind that there will be a few restrictions.

- They can only cast spells shown in comics
- They won't be able to use magic that rely on their body/other powers. In example you couldn't draft the mind of Spiral in the body of a 2 armed person, and then access her magic since so much of it relies on her having 6 arms.
- Magic resistance will be allowed only through body drafts and/or counter spells.
- The other restrictions naturally apply to magic also, no "eid-ydobyreve" or offensive matter manipulation.

Originally posted by leonidas

I'm willing to switch things around if need be.

Most important thing for me is to make sure the Tourney happens.

Judges

Digi
Delph
Jake
Bentley
Curryman

I'm still waiting on 10 more responses or so from PMs, but I think I'll send out a couple of more. If the personally written messages won't get them, then maybe I should include some music or a haiku smile

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 12:28 AM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I'd be happy to be a judge.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:00 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

If I can get my amalgam to work within the confines of this tournament, I may join as a participant. One of them is considered a low herald though and I'm not sure I can do what I'd like to do without them. Not sure if there is a suitable replacement for them either.

If not, I'm more than willing to judge.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:20 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Originally posted by Blair Wind
If I can get my amalgam to work within the confines of this tournament, I may join as a participant. One of them is considered a low herald though and I'm not sure I can do what I'd like to do without them. Not sure if there is a suitable replacement for them either.

If not, I'm more than willing to judge.

While I've been advised against letting in certain characters under restrictions, I feel like having a tourney with said character is far better than no tourney at all smile

To avoid potentially revealing your draft here, we can discuss this in PM.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I'd be happy to be a judge.

Haha, what a co-incidence. I just sent out your invitation smile

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:24 AM
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

i'm in as a competitor

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:38 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

I'll give it a whirl. Why not?

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:42 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

wait, was curryman the person who had me on ignore?

lulz

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 01:44 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Immortality:
No characters who are functionally ageless, immortal. Ie: No one who has been blacklisted in death's domain and/or fated to never die. This also means that character with extreme regeneration will be limited.

Originally posted by Oliver North
wait, was curryman the person who had me on ignore?

lulz

No ignore list for the purpose of tournaments, as it goes beyond the petty VS-forum! Anyone who wants to participate/judge are free to do so, regardless of past falling outs with me. Here I have no enemies or allies, only friends!

And no, you're not on ignore stick out tongue

Updated Judge List

Digi
Delph
Jake
Bentley
Curryman
Omega Vision
Oliver North
Blair Wind

Updated Participants List

Abhilegend
Leonidas
Srankmissingnin ? (Iffy about the Meta-Tier)
Damborgson
Psycho Gundam
KM ? (Might be busy with work)

Blair Wind We've spoken in PM and he would rather function as Judge since 2 of his planned picks fall into the low-herald tier smile

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 02:43 AM
tsilamini

Originally posted by curryman
No ignore list for the purpose of tournaments, as it goes beyond the petty VS-forum! Anyone who wants to participate/judge are free to do so, regardless of past falling outs with me. Here I have no enemies or allies, only friends!

And no, you're not on ignore stick out tongue

god, who was it then...

also, cool smile

Old Post Jun 25th, 2013 02:45 AM