KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Your take on cloning and genetics.

Your take on cloning and genetics.
Started by: The Omega

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Omega
Z10N0101

Question Your take on cloning and genetics.

With such a wide distribution of people, from all over the world, I'm curious to learn your opinion on genetics and cloning.
Yes? No?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 01:00 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am cool with it.

But do remember that if this turns into a contentious debate that might have in the past belonged in the Debating forum, then I will probably close this.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 01:05 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

No prob, Ush.
I can’t make up my mind, so I’m interested in what other people think. If it belongs somewhere else, I’ll just open it in the appropriate forum.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 01:25 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

Kinda scary.You know playing God (thou I dont believe in God) stick out tongue
Its just so complex with so many things that can go wrong...Dolly wasn't made at the 1st try messed Plus she had all these health problems. Now imagine that in a human.
I guess it can be good and bad. Depends on who uses it.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 01:57 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skule
blissfully ignorant

i like the aspect of genetic research and the idea of cloning certain cells to help diseases.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 05:31 PM
skule is currently offline Click here to Send skule a Private Message Find more posts by skule Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChinaNiki
Dancing Queen

I worry about the use of genetics by insurance companies to deny coverage to people who are carriers of certain genes. Or to deny coverage to pregnant women who choose to have a baby who has been diagnosed before birth with spina bifida, downe's syndrome, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, or other conditions that will require a lot of medical upkeep.

Made by the talented Godshinto

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 05:50 PM
ChinaNiki is currently offline Click here to Send ChinaNiki a Private Message Find more posts by ChinaNiki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I think its a door in science if opened itll open many, many more doors of discovery. Goals in genetic cloning to find cures for paralysis and nerve damage,and organ transplants and if a cure for these problems lie within genetic cloning then i think its a must. However the people who want to clone humans just for the sake of cloning humans i think is totaly un nessicary. Humans already have the beautifull gift of being able to give life why do we need another source that is un pure.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 05:59 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

cloning sheeps and other animals are good for studies but cloning humans is wrong.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 06:22 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

i definitely agree w ith cloning helping in medical advancements. like cloning organs for transplants. But i'm against human cloning.
genetical tampering might bring us some advantages...but you know...it's a dangerous toy to play with. We'll see

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 06:26 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
buffymitch
Colossus

I am against cloning but i'm all for genetic research. i'm not exactly well informed on this subject but i do know that there is a posibillity that they can cure a lot of diseases. the stem cells research sounds like a miracle. but cloning another human being just feels inhumane

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 07:30 PM
buffymitch is currently offline Click here to Send buffymitch a Private Message Find more posts by buffymitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is our future. Cloning will, in the long run, both save and destroy humanity. You didn't really think those tall grey aliens were actually aliens, did you? That's us from the future. After we've genetically manipulated ourselves to the brink of extinction. But, really, I think the benefits of human cloning far out weight the disadvantages. I say we go for it full steam. All we have to do is get rid of the religious extremists and we can proceede the way god intended.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 07:45 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChinaNiki
Dancing Queen

down with extremist!

Made by the talented Godshinto

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 08:01 PM
ChinaNiki is currently offline Click here to Send ChinaNiki a Private Message Find more posts by ChinaNiki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I think they should clone headless humans, grow them in mechanical wombs (matrix) and harvest the organsbig grin

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 08:10 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"I worry about the use of genetics by insurance companies to deny coverage to people who are carriers of certain genes."

Are you saying insurers have no right to do that? And if so, why don't they? They are running a business, not a public service.

What you are actually worried about there is that by unlocking the understanding of genetics we will be able to tell who is better built than others- what we have been given by chance. This is, indeed, quite a Pandora's Box- but staying in ignorance is rarely a better option.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 10:04 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Let's say I lose an arm while disc golfing, right. I'd be all for the idea of cloning me a body part and attaching it back on, hence a new arm. Also cloning plants like tomatos and herbs is right on as well. I believe cloning is here to stay. I guess we'll find out if that George Lucas guy right.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2003 10:21 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

why clone humans when the can already be made, genetic cloning is another thing but why waste time energy and funding on amking somthing we already can

Old Post Aug 20th, 2003 01:20 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

For people that cannot.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 20th, 2003 01:49 AM
Dexx
wingless

it SHOULD not...tell me. anyone..i can't think of any reason(morally accepted) of clining humans.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2003 01:57 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

i dont condone cloning. its not natural.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2003 02:12 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

unless we are talking about troopers. big grin

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2003 02:13 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote