KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Can anyone help me?

Can anyone help me?
Started by: Vicky

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Vicky

Can anyone help me?

I'm an ignorant being, and obviously unlike some of you guys, I've never ever read a single Star Wars novel. But I've discovered that this is not a good way to live, and have promptly decided to get my head in a book.
Having no knowledge of the books or their authors, I wondered if someone would be kind enough to suggest one to start me off? Maybe your favourites?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2001 11:40 PM
Vicky is currently offline Click here to Send Vicky a Private Message Find more posts by Vicky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, I think we have fielded one like this before...

I assume you are talking EU books here (which get varying degrees of respect from board members... long story).

Some of them are total rubbish and some of them are surprisingly good. best not to take them too seriously, of course. But I am not an expert.

Truce at Bakura is a good place to start- it is set very shortly after ROTJ, directly following on.

I understand the NJO series has been doing good business but I haven't read any of it.

Rogue Planet has received mixed revioews but is also a good place to start as you only need to have seen TPM to know the nackground.

I'm sure others can help more.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 12:25 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vicky

Thanks, I've always managed to pick them up in shops but never seem to get any further.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 01:07 AM
Vicky is currently offline Click here to Send Vicky a Private Message Find more posts by Vicky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

IF you like the OT then get the 'Tales' books. Tales from Mos Eisley, From the BOunty Hunters, and Jabbas Palace is a great place to start and if you dont happen to like one story you can skip ahead to the next one without missing anything. Its also a good place to see how the authors style's fit. THat way you can see what else they wrote in the EU.

I've stayed away from the NEw Jedi Order for now because I have one or two books left to go.

I really liked the Thrwan series, I think it was the best of the bunch. I also liked the Young Han Solo books. But my favorites are the X-wing series (and I- Jedi) Wedge is great and so is Hobbie and Wes (Yub Yub commander).

Sorry Ushgarak, but I thought Truce at Bakura wasnt that good. Neither was The Crystal Star. I'd also stay far away from any books made before the '90s. Although I did like Splinter of the Minds Eye it had nothing to do with the actual events between ANH and ESB. (As many of my friends thought in '79)

To sum it up, just enjoy the books but dont take anything that happens in there along with any charactor that is mentioned as LORE, just take it as fun. big grin

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 02:40 AM
Jameous Woodshire is currently offline Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I've read one book..can't remember which one it is though laughing out loud I'm not big on EU myself.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 10:58 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

Well, you should read some of those books I posted.

If you like Han and Leia you should read The Courtship of Princess Leia. It is a fun book to read and 3p0 sings a great song laughing out loud

It also has a great view of how Han feels about Leia.

I'd also recommend The Young Han Solo Trilogy again. It has a great story and lots of drama that some of the other books are missing.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 01:13 PM
Jameous Woodshire is currently offline Click here to Send Jameous Woodshire a Private Message Find more posts by Jameous Woodshire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I didn't think Truce at Bakura was too bad. I'm still collecting EU books cause I want to read them in order of publication (just because I'm goofy like that about things). Splinter of the Minds Eye.....not a bad story, but who would have known....hehehe.

Have you read the OT, Rhea ?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 02:58 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Start reading the novelisations first, I'd say. I liked the Timothy Zahn trilogy (Heir to the Empire etc.) and I have the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy which is okay if you like Fett and Bossk. Not great stuff but entertaining.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 03:44 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Just like the real EU then not great stuff but entertaining. big grin

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 05:24 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Tales from Mos Eisley is very cool if, like me, you like finding out about on-screen characters background stories. Tales from Jabba's palace is the same....especially if you wanna find out what happened to Boba Fett after falling into the Sarlacc Pit. eek!

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 05:55 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Tales from Mos Eisley? Is that the one with Cantina stories? Written by lots of SW writers? I wouldn't mind reading that one...

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 06:53 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vicky

No, I've not read the OT, any good?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2001 08:21 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Well I'm a "see the movie" then "read the book" kind, so I saw each one before I read the novelization. They weren't bad.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 12:39 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jameous Woodshire

Yep queeg, it's the Cantina stories. They are great short stories, and it gives a look into the lives of the Cantina patrons including the Bith Band. big grin I like that each story includes the films events from the point of view of the individuals.

I also really liked the Rancor Keepers story in Tales from Jabbas Palace. It brought a tear to my eye. wink

Also George wrote ANH, and it includes the missing scenes that are on the Behind the Magic CDs. Red squardren is named Blue for some reason confused

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 08:27 AM
queeq
Chaos

Yes, that's right. Guess he had the blues when he rewrote the script. Okay, sorry, bad joke.

I see-and-read to, Gundy. We are so much as one. evil face

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 12:14 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Well, great sith minds think alike, you know..... smokin'

Old Post Jun 6th, 2001 03:43 PM
queeq
Chaos

Not just think. wink

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 12:19 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

George Lucas did NOT write the novel of ANH, even though he is credited as such. Alan Dean Foster wrote it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 03:11 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keokiswahine
Confusion

Yes, Ush, but ANH is still GL's story even if someone else novelized it. big grin

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 10:35 AM
keokiswahine is currently offline Click here to Send keokiswahine a Private Message Find more posts by keokiswahine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Well on the book I have of ANH it says George Lucas and George Lucas only, not a singele word is mentioned about Alan Dean Foster.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2001 11:28 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote