KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Japan here we come

Japan here we come
Started by: sand person no. 10

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sand person no. 10
where are the other nine

Japan here we come

I have just finished watching the england game in the pub and for all those people who knock football and the players i.e. beckham I challenge anyone to come up with something more exciting than the last minute of the england game, backs against the walls, playoffs here we come, upsteps Beckham, villain of 1998, goal, goal, goal, Japan here we come. For all of the girls who moan about football, this is why lads love it and why we yearn it so much.

p.s. football is soccer in american, quite why when all you do is THROW the ball, i don't know. still football sounds cooler than handball i s'pose.

p.p.s. Any Finnish posters, I will email you a pint.

Wooo Hoooo

Old Post Oct 6th, 2001 06:52 PM
sand person no. 10 is currently offline Click here to Send sand person no. 10 a Private Message Find more posts by sand person no. 10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

and Belgium isn't there already, first we have tp beat the team that ended second in group 8...

Old Post Oct 6th, 2001 07:15 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Edna in her infinite wisdom seems to think that Beckham isn't fast enough.

There is a lesson to be learnt there. Witches know nothing about football.

I also phoned a friend and reminded him that three years ago he had said that Beckham should never be allowed to play for England again. Heheheh...

I don't want it to EVER be that close again, though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 6th, 2001 10:36 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

"You could be so lucky,
lucky, lucky lucky." Kylie stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 07:34 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yeah, a shame isn't it?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 08:53 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

It is such a sham,e that we could only field 10 monkeys and Beckham for the first half. He was the only player earning his money in the first half and was definately man of tyhe match in my book.

Sherringham did his normal magic out of no where trick and the 93rd minute penalty was great. But as Beckham himself said, p[ity he couldn't get the 1st one, rather than he 9th. smile

But, as the end of the day, it is the final result that really counts and the English team can now wait out the next couple of months until the draws are made for the playoffs.

Just think, in 98 the nation were ready to throw Beckham to the wolves. Now, in 2001, he has matured and led a team by such fantatsic example.

The boy definately done good!!!

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 02:57 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I wouldn't say Beckham is fast. He's slow, he can't tackle, he can't beat anyone, he has a dodgy temprement. But what he can do he does very very well. Anyway at least you made it.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:09 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sand person no. 10
where are the other nine

I wish they would throw beckham to the wolves,

i'm a wolves fan big grin

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:14 PM
sand person no. 10 is currently offline Click here to Send sand person no. 10 a Private Message Find more posts by sand person no. 10 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Hmmm, don't agree on the whole temprement issue, form what I have seen at any rate. I would agree that in the past he did, but I think he has really grown since getting the captainship.

IMHO OC.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:15 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
field 10 monkeys and Beckham

the England goalie did well in the first half

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:36 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

If by that you mean he was able to stop the bal but not maintain a grip on it? The UK commentators were slamming his slippy fingers really badly.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:38 PM
yerssot

I think that Beckhams temprement was never big; I mean you got shuffeld very hard but when you touch the other he plays 'commedia de la arte' and you get red!

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 03:42 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Beckham is NOT slow Just because he's not Owen fast does not actively make him slow.

he also seems to be virtually tireless; he continually runs down every person he can get to and as Motson said, it seemed as if he had been playing Greece all on his own.

He HAS got a temper, though. Better than it was, but I gave a little smile after that foul he did in the Albania match when someone knocked him over, then he got up, sprinted over to the guy and shoulder charged hoim. THAT'S the Beckham everyone hated for a while...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 04:58 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

That's what I mean. He's been okay for the past few games but it's always there just waiting to get the better of him. It's the same with players like Gazza and Roy Keane. For months they behave themsleves and then they get sent off for being stupid.

Beckham is slow for a midfielder. That's why he always crosses early. He knows he can't get to the by-line.

Last edited by KJ on Oct 7th, 2001 at 05:16 PM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 05:13 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

that's Beckham for you...

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 05:27 PM
KJ
Sausages

And that's why a lot of people want to see Beckham in the middle of the park rather than on the right side.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 05:37 PM
finti

Regardless what the UK commentaters were saying the golie had some impotrant saves on 0-1 that kept England in the game. What they should have slamed is the Englands midfield and defence, they looked dizzy at times and without any communications between them at all.
And Beckham is not slow and he is not very fast either. What he got is a lot of stammina and that whats a midfielder needs. Those lightning fast football players tires quickly. Look at Owen he is in front all the time and doesent need to run around the pitch as much as midfielders does.Thats why he is fit to do those lightning charges of his from time to time.
I must give Beckham credit, he has grown a lot as a captain for England and by doing so his perfomance as a football player has grown as well. At the moment he is just superb.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 06:24 PM
Ratcat

I agree Finti, and so did the commentators, they said the same as you just did.

Beckham was everywhere in that match, he had to be.

If he had been super fast I doubt he would have managed the full 90 minutes, I would suggest that he paced himself perfectly for the game.

Notice how he sprinted to the touchline when he made that free kick? He can put on the burst but he'd never manage a full match if he did.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 06:29 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think most of the country will agree with you on the poor performance of the England team there. What the heck was wrong with Scholes, anyway?

BtVS

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 06:29 PM
finti

Scholes is like that, up and down performances all the time.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2001 06:33 PM