KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Underestimated

Underestimated
Started by: finti

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

Underestimated

The pr stunt ,which is the right word for the first ground action in Afghanistan, is over. The US forces was surprised of the though resistance they met . Did they belive this would be a walk in the park. If they dont change their views on the opposition they gonna meet they will suffer large casualties

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:23 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

remember Russia...

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:25 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

We will smack Afghanistan!

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:27 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

well the russians were in a different situation. They fought a united Afghan opposition, not the case now. And To I hope you ment Taliban regime and not Afghanistan

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:30 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Of course that's what I meant. You have to remember, it's 2AM here, and I'm tired.

I don't think we underestimate our enemy. Bush said it will take a LONG time, and cost MANY lives. We know it's not going to be over in a few months. He was talking in terms of years.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:34 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

before or after they had the troops there?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:39 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

He said that on September 11th, when he addressed the nation.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:40 AM
yerssot

roll eyes (sarcastic)
and now there was someone saying that they will probably never find OBN... why the attack then?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:43 AM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

No one said that. They said it is like "finding a needle in a haystack." They never said they'll never find him. He's gotta come out of his cave sooner or later, even if it's in five years.

Besides, killing bin Ladin won't end terrorism. That's why we are wiping all of it out, which is why it will take so long. Ladin AND all of his followers must pay for what they've done.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:48 AM
yerssot

quote:
Originally posted by ToMacco
That's why we are wiping all of it out, which is why it will take so long.

also women and children....
And besides: 5 years? yeah right! remember that he finance Afghanistan and that captioring will not be easy, they have to wipe out most of Afghanistan...

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:54 AM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

6,000 innocent people were killed September 11th.

If Afghanistan decides to hide bin Ladin, then they must be destroyed too. Bush has warned REPEATEDLY that we will not tolorate harboring these terrorists.

We've given the Taliban dozens of warnings to hand over bin Ladin, and they havn't. So, we had to use force. And even several days ago, Bush asked them to hand him over, and we would stop the bombings, but they didn't hand him over. They just don't get it.

It sucks that innocent people are dying. But America and the Brittish arn't killing them on purpose. Remember that America is dropping food and supplies daily into Afghanistan for the civillians.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 07:58 AM
yerssot

there are every day people that get's killed, because it is now in the USA you hear about it:
Somalia, Timor, Indonesia, DR Congo,...

Now you are saying that it is JUSTIFIED to kill innocent people who don't even KNOW what happend september 11? Killing women and children because 5 mans decided NOT to exile OBN???

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 08:06 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

American forces WERE surprised by the strength of opposition. Pentagon said so. It's part of why they have asked for SAS squadrons to help.

The Russians were really in the same situation, Finti. The Mujihadeen may have vaguely unified against the Russians but in broad terms the country was just as divided as it is now.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 08:19 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Great. Now the Taliban have caught and killed Abdul Haq, America's choice to unify the resistance. It had already been in serious trouble because Haq, despite being one of the biggest haters of the Taliban, had condemned the American bombing campighn. another example of how removed the US is from the Northern Alliance.

The bombing does seem to have achieved nothing other than alienating the entire Arab world. I hope it is later shown to have had some positive effects.

And I know the US means well with the food packagaes, but it really isn't helping. I mean, they will eat the food but it won't make them like you. Ask a few Londoners from the war whether they would have liked the Germans more if they had also dropped food during the blitz. Of course they wouldn't! And I know the Taliban aren't exactly popular out there but once you start bombing a country they hate you no matter how much food you drop as well.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 26th, 2001 at 09:45 PM

Old Post Oct 26th, 2001 09:40 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

.......and they've bombed another Red Cross food shelter sad

Old Post Oct 27th, 2001 03:39 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

quote:
Originally posted by ToMacco

Besides, killing bin Ladin won't end terrorism. That's why we are wiping all of it out, which is why it will take so long. Ladin AND all of his followers must pay for what they've done.

do you think you're wiping all terrorists out? do you not think that the extremists in pakistan and other neighbour countries, are pissed off at US, and are possible terrorists. o
one guy on the news said "the people in afghanistan who earlier were against the Taliban, now have forgotten that and just wants to defend their country, because of the attacks".

i am really not happy with this bombing, not at all, and i don't have the slightest faith in ''the worlds most powerful man'', president bush. he's a jack-ass.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2001 10:43 AM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

mah, that is a BOLD statement.

President George Bush is an elected president. Calling him a jack-ass is calling the American people jack-asses for voting him to office.

Of course Afghanies are going to be angry when their homes get ACCIDENTALLY bombed. In no way, is the US trying to kill innocent people. If they didn't give a shit, then we would drop a nuke on the entire country. We are NOT doing that, we are dropping supplies on the innocent. And the bastard Taliban is confiscating those supplies.

Honestly, what are we supposed to do? Should we sit here, and say "Wow, you guys got us! You attacked a business building without warning, you sure caught us by surprise! Our bad!" Give me a F*#@ing break!

We WILL find those terrorists. We WILL hold them responsible. We WILL kill them. Don't EVER, EVER have sympothy for these sons of bitches. They should die for their actions.

America, and those who support us, will WIPE OUT TERRORISM. I have no doubts. God damnit! I am a citzen of the United States of America, and we WILL NOT FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 04:36 AM
yerssot

last thing I heared was that Gore won the elections with the stuff in Florida...

accidently bombed? I don't know about you but if you bomb the Chinese ambassy and than a few years later you accidently bomb houses...

and mind you there WAS a warning of OBN in 1997 or 1998 that there would be an action around 2000 of him that would shock the world...

little question: if you kill terrorists, where would that leave you? than you are no better than they are...

PS: I'm NOT defending them!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 08:26 AM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

ToMacco:
i don't know why you elected bush, it's a mystery to me. i'm sure your not jack-asses, and i understand that you support these actions, you're angry, pissed off, and want revenge the easiest way, with violence. but i can still say that i don't like it, it has done no good so far, and it won't, i think.

but all this praising of war, "blow'em all away"-business is scaring me a bit. terrorists excists in about every country, will you bomb them too?
does anger justify killing innocent? if i slap you, will you slap uncontrolled and hit yerssot too?

war is not a way to destroy war.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 11:23 AM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

ToMacco, that statement you made abouit Mah is way off. He can call Bush a jack-ass if he wants and its not a comment about the American people in any way (more of whom, in any case, voted for Gore). Indeed, I know for a fact that some US posters around here are ardent Democrats and cannot stand the man. So don't accuse him of insulting your entire country just because he expresses an opinion that many others, includingnthose in your own country, also share.

And even if he had got 100% of the vote, any public leader, especially one from the world's superpower, is subject to criticism worldwide, and it STILL wouldn't be an indictment of the people who voted him into office. And Mah is simply voicing an opinion that is very common in the Continent; Bush is simply not popular in Europe. People have been rapidly warming to him in the UK, though.

Now. To get down to cases. First of all, Tomacco, do not totally dismiss the idea of a peaceful solution to a terrorsit situation- after all, that's what we are up to in Northern Ireland, not least, I may add, because there was a lot of pressure from your country to stop the violence. SO don;t TOTALLY dismiss it; I get the idea that you think a peaceful solution is utterly ludicrous when it;s not actually that strange.

HOWEVER, at this point in time the military solution is the only appropriate one, I feel, so so do the heads of most Western Governments. This is becase 1. a clear threat still exists and 2. a negotiated solution is currently impossible. It is impossible because a. of a complete foregin policy failure from the US to Central Asia over the last two decades, but no use crying over spilt milk, and b. because the US could no more withdraw from Israel than it could hack off its own right foot.

So I support the action, in broad terms, but the point still is that it is not going particularly well right now., The Taliban are surprised at how ineffective it is, the people, food parcels or no, are hating you more and more, innocent people are dying (an inevitable consequence, to be sure, but they seem to be dying without ANYTHING being achieved!), the Northern Alliance is losing patience, the entire Arab world is turning against you and frankly the whole coalition will fall apart unless something more decsiive is done soon!

Anyway, yes, I hope this is successful and I hope that all terrorism is, indeed, wiped out. With any luck this bobmbing campign will turn out in tretrospect to be more effective than it looks now, because right now it is looking like an own goal.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 28th, 2001 11:30 AM