KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » explain religion to me...

explain religion to me...
Started by: mook

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mook

explain religion to me...

i cant understand how people can believe in religious stories and ideas in this day and age.

i can understand WHY people would like certain things to be true (gives life meaning, life-after-death/heaven etc).

however surely if you take a step back and apply science/logic/rational thought then it all falls apart.

Take the ancient Egyptians for example; they believed that a Dung Beetle was rolling the Sun away when it set.
We now know this to be false - and would be silly to base our lives around this. however people still base there entire lives around similarly unlikely ideas.
pls explain how?

(PS i support everyones right to believe want they want and dont wish to offend anyone - i just dont understand it)

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 02:42 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

do u believe in life after death ?

Do u believe that every time u miss that "big <whatever>" that almost took u'r head off by just an inch it was a coincidence ? a lucky roll of the dice ?

People cannot prove God,Allah,Budah whoever... exists but why do u think people round the world believe in them ? Why do u think the stories in all the importanat religious books(The Bible,Coran,Kabala,etc.) are pretty much the same ? Because all the people in the world had a weird form of mass hallucination ??!

Tell me...why is it that u only use 8-10% of u'r brain ?

Not beeing able to answer these questions is not good enough a reason to dissmis them as "fairy tales".
After all...less than 100 years ago people were SURE NOTHING that is heavier than air could fly...ooh...lookie there....a 747 !

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:26 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

oh and one more thing...
quote:
however surely if you take a step back and apply science/logic/rational thought then it all falls apart.

please apply all the logic/science whatever, and PROVE that God doesn't exist... because that's the ONLY way u could make it all fall apart.

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:29 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

I don't believe in the religion stuff, but what i do believe is that people have a right to an opinion and if they want to believe, let them believe big grin There is no way that someone could prove that God doesn't exist just like no one can prove there is some divine power watching out for us. No one knows really what is real and whats not but everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe big grin nuff said yes

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:41 PM
Abbita is currently offline Click here to Send Abbita a Private Message Find more posts by Abbita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

rusky>"Why do u think the stories in all the importanat religious books(The Bible,Coran,Kabala,etc.) are pretty much the same ? Because all the people in the world had a weird form of mass hallucination ??!"

No, its because everyone will die and everyone on some level fears there own mortality.
Religions give your life a purpose - you can follow a set of guidelines and then be rewarded after your death.
i would love it if i was going to be reunited with all my dead loved ones when i died. it would be a great comfort to me during my life, it means i would not fear my death and also when i died my friends and family would not be sad as they would know we would be reunited.
However i dont think this is the case.

religion deals with creation too; do you believe what the bible says about god creating Adam and then creating Eve out of Adam's rib?

or do you believe science with the big bang theory and evolution?

rusky>"Do u believe that every time u miss that "big <whatever>" that almost took u'r head off by just an inch it was a coincidence ? a lucky roll of the dice ?"

yes. what do you believe when that happens?

rusky>""Tell me...why is it that u only use 8-10% of u'r brain ?"

im not sure and that certainly is an interesting point. how do you relate this to following organised religion?

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:49 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

just a question...

how come there has only been 1 Jesus? Before Jesus' time there probably weren't more than a few million people on this earth. (possibly all times before his birth) But in the several billion people that have been born after him, there have been NO PEOPLE WHAT-SO-EVER to have any powers similar to that of Jesus.

Most people are raised into religion because of their parents and not because of their own beliefs. (most not all)

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:52 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

quote:
Originally posted by rusky
oh and one more thing...

please apply all the logic/science whatever, and PROVE that God doesn't exist... because that's the ONLY way u could make it all fall apart.

If i was to say that i was followed by a 'giant invisible green elephant' it would not be up to other people to prove i was wrong, it would be up to me to prove that the highly unlikely 'giant invisible green elephant' existed.

This is the essence of science (and the difference between science and religion)
- any idea/theory/concept has to be backed up with facts and evidence in order to proves it credibility,

otherwise people could make anything up and call it fact.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:54 PM
mook

quote:
Originally posted by BarmyBrummie
I don't believe in the religion stuff, but what i do believe is that people have a right to an opinion and if they want to believe, let them believe big grin There is no way that someone could prove that God doesn't exist just like no one can prove there is some divine power watching out for us. No one knows really what is real and whats not but everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe big grin nuff said yes

as i said in my original post:

"(PS i support everyones right to believe want they want and dont wish to offend anyone - i just dont understand it)"

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:54 PM
rusky
Waiting for da snow

quote:
yes. what do you believe when that happens?

well then....I'm one LUCKY bastard...

quote:
No, its because everyone will die and everyone on some level fears there own mortality.
Religions give your life a purpose - you can follow a set of guidelines and then be rewarded after your death.
i would love it if i was going to be reunited with all my dead loved ones when i died. it would be a great comfort to me during my life, it means i would not fear my death and also when i died my friends and family would not be sad as they would know we would be reunited.
However i dont think this is the case.

I meant the stories, like the flood and stuff...they appear in all the books..
And, what do u think happens when u die ? Everything goes black and time stops ? Game over ?

quote:
religion deals with creation too; do you believe what the bible says about god creating Adam and then creating Eve out of Adam's rib?
or do you believe science with the big bang theory and evolution?

I'm inclined to believe a bit of both....

Tell me... have u heard of the research that has been conducted by an american scientist/doctor on near death experiences ?

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:56 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Errr, religious debate thread, not a good idea- closing.

In closing, though, I will take this opportunity to point out that the idea that we only use ten percent of our brains is actually a myth.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 04:58 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote