KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » D-Day

D-Day
Started by: Captain REX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
REXXXX
Networking

D-Day

Today, June 6, we commemorate those soldiers of the U.S. 1st Army and the British 2nd Army, French and Canadian soldiers, American and British paratroopers, that fought in the largest conflict of World War II.

The U.S. 1st Army attacked Omaha and Utah beaches while the British 2nd Army attacked Sword, Juno, and Gold beaches, each army with the help of the French and Canadians. American paratroopers were sent in to take out artillery at Brecourt and retake the town of Carentan. British soldiers in gliders landed behind enemy lines and held the bridges of Horsa and Pegasus to keep German armor, or tanks, from crossing over to the beaches to repel the U.S. 1st and British 2nd.

D-Day was a success and turned the tides of World War II.

60th Anniversary today! big grin

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 04:38 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Technically the Canadians attacked Juno beach stick out tongue
I think the Juno Awards in Canada are named after it erm

Also Canadians made it furthest into the inland then any other Allied forces that day cool

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 04:42 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I thought it was the Austrailians who attacked at Juno?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 04:47 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

watch Band of Brothers. It shows the 101st Airborn drop. It rocks.
Today is the 60th Aniversery of d-day. Technically, the day of any invasion is called d-day, but the invasion of normandy was the biggest of all the D-Days, so whenever someones says d-day, they usally mean the June 6th one.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 04:50 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

That is Awesome!
Also play Call of Duty if you liek band of brothers, you play most of the missions they show.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:01 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 05:15 PM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

yes..wanted to start a thread bout this. I love watching ww II stuff.
i'm currently watching something called :d-day in colour.....thumb up

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:06 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

We bailed France out, and what have they done for us?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:09 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

Question: In Saving Private Ryan, is the the opening scene depicting the landing at Omaha?

Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Elrond
We bailed France out, and what have they done for us?
They gave you the statue of Liberty... even though that was before stick out tongue

Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

yes

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:10 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleanae
Question: In Saving Private Ryan, is the the opening scene depicting the landing at Omaha?

yep, the bloody beach

if anyone hasn't seen it, do so.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:13 PM
silver_tears

We were forced to watch it in history class, I was firmly against it.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:15 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

My grandfather passed away about a year ago, and recently while we were cleaning out his house to sell it, we came across alot of his old war photos from his tour w/ the Navy, including Normandy. I found a mini Hitler propaganda book, as well as his NAVY deck tobogan, and an artillery case from Omaha Beach. He also had 2 Nazi SS helmets, which were headed to an undisclosed museum.

(please log in to view the image)

True story, my Uncle Robert and grandfather Jesse were both serving. My grandfather arrived at Normandy, sadly, because he was operating the ferries that returned the dead and wounded to base. Not knowing if they'd ever see each other again, Robert just so happened to be on duty, repairing toll bridges, and of course, my "Grampy" spotted him, and the rest is history. big grin

While I doubt there are any D-Day survivors reading this board, I appreciate all they did for us, and in a movie sense, thank Spielberg for his contributions to film with "Saving Private Ryan", easily the most realistic WW2 movie ever.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jun 6th, 2004 at 07:41 PM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:38 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bagtatta

Hoorah!

Don't let the subject fool you.

D-Day was amazing, and how can you be "firmly" against watching Saving Private Ryan in school? Never the less, History class. That's EASILY one of the best World War II movies ever made.

And I to love watching World War II stuff, and at the moment am Watching "WWII Road To Victory." It's actually really entertaining, and better then the other package of DVD's I bought. It's in color, and all actualy footage from over 20 battles or something a long those lines. Very entertaining, and educational.

I also bought "The Chonicles of WW2" and that one isn't as good I think..black and white, but not all real footage.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:48 PM
Bagtatta is currently offline Click here to Send Bagtatta a Private Message Find more posts by Bagtatta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

I am not American firstly, I'm Canadian, naturally I prefer to watch movies about Canadians in war, and I'm sorry but unless you people have actually been there how can you comment on how good the movie is?
There may be exaggerations and lies in it for all we know. And it may be completely Hollywoodized and far from the truth. erm

That being said we have veterans of D-Day coming in to our class tomorrow, and I plan on asking them their take on Saving Private Ryan, and how closely it resembles the war.

Plus I don't like watching war movies that are from only one point of view. Like for example, I liked All Quiet on the Western Front, because it was told from the point of view of the Germans, and not just the Allied forces even though it is WWI, I still enjoyed it.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 07:59 PM
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

added a tribute to those who died on D-Day. The line's from LotR

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:09 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by silver_tears
There may be exaggerations and lies in it for all we know. And it may be completely Hollywoodized and far from the truth.

Spielberg conducted a lot of interviews to get the jest of things in Normandy. I'm sure his research was pretty inclusive, some of which was documented on the SPR DVD extra features, including testimony of those who he interviewed, regarding the movie.

I doubt anyone has actually bothered contesting the plausibility of SPR, especially after Schindler's List, which being a Jewish man himself, I would think would be an very important piece of his own history.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:11 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

Were the people who he interviewed from both sides of the battle or purely American?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:14 PM
yerssot

ah come on cinemaddiction! they showed only Omaha beach and only the americans, not only that it was pure propaganda for how "brave" americans are since mankind was ever created roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 08:18 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote