KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » War

War
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

War

People often claim that they are interested in living in peace, but why then do we continue to have so much conflict in areas like the Balkans, the Middle East, Africa and other areas? Is there something about human nature which makes conflict inevitable and peace impossible? According to Carl Coon, the answers lie not so much in human biology, but in the development of human culture.

Coon makes the compelling argument that contemporary human actions are heavily influenced by the sorts of human actions which were once successful in humanity' s primitive past. But what is a culture, and why should it be beholden to practices no longer as successful?

As he defines it, a culture is shared beliefs and behaviors that create and foster a sense of shared identity among the members of a particular group, tribe or society. Sometimes these beliefs and behaviors are static and sometimes they are dynamic. They cannot be too static, otherwise the group won' t be able to adapt to changing circumstances. They also cannot be too variable, otherwise they won?t be able to create that shared identity. It is, after all, the fact that people feel like they "belong" and that they are "safe" that is most important.

That is perhaps one of the most important reasons why cultures develop and why they are different. When groups compete, one of the things that helps ensure victory for one or the other is be the strength of internal bonds. Just how loyal are the members and how willing are they to make sacrifices for the group?

It is why people have been so willing to die for their religion or their tribe. Unfortunately, it can also create problems, especially today when cultural groups have become so large and their destructive power so massive. Even though it may have been useful at one time, it is becoming more and more of a problem.

Is it an essential part of our human nature to engage in an "us vs. them" mental attitude rather than cooperate with people who are different? This appears to be the case: it has developed both within cultural groups and between cultures. When we can create a multicultural group, such attitudes can be expended harmlessly in things like sports; but in a monocultural group, these attitudes can lead to hatred and hostility.

What are we to do about it now? Is our future condemned by our past? Not necessarily, the challenge for us today, according to Coon, is to recognize the nature of our cultural conflicts and where their origins really lie. Furthermore, we must use this insight to help in a transition to a better, global society. Our instincts may be to engage in fierce loyalty to one group and hate others, but that is something we need to work to overcome.

Any thoughts on this?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:43 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Is there something about human nature which makes conflict inevitable and peace impossible?
greed, ideology and religion

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:57 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

yes

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 07:06 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

couldnt have put it better finti smile

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 07:14 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

quote:
but why then do we continue to have so much conflict in areas like the Balkans, the Middle East, Africa and other areas?

Petty regional differences are to blame. that's what I think

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:52 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I thought it was just an argument between pancakes and waffles which started the past five wars in the world. I never thought it could have been pride,greed or religoun. here i am protesting pancakes and waffles all this time, boy is my face red. embarrasment

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:59 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

we refuse to share with each other.

this land is my land, this land is my land too, get the f*ck away from it...

in all the world's existence, the world has been at peace for 8% in it's entirety. war is in human's nature. human will fight each other for anything. from religion to ideology to greed and most of all, to power.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 04:25 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

yeah there have been plaenty of wars over the last waffle too

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 05:50 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nemo
ocean and sea

quote:
Originally posted by finti
greed, ideology and religion

thing is most soldiers are none of those. just average joes.
they just fight when they called to fight.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:04 AM
nemo is currently offline Click here to Send nemo a Private Message Find more posts by nemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

quote:
Originally posted by manchichirtchit
we refuse to share with each other.

this land is my land, this land is my land too, get the f*ck away from it...

in all the world's existence, the world has been at peace for 8% in it's entirety. war is in human's nature. human will fight each other for anything. from religion to ideology to greed and most of all, to power.

You got it "Man"....

Humans, at this stage in their evolution are driven by all of the lowest instincts and these instincts are magnified by the need or greed for more of this and more of that.

It has never been in the makeup of man to share ANYTHING, far less land, power or religious belief.

Homo-Sapiens may have developed it's brain-power and it's technological ability but underneath all of this learning we are still Neandethals at heart.

Click my sig'-pic' to go to my forum
and attached consumer website

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:17 AM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
thing is most soldiers are none of those. just average joes
soldiers are the tools of those of greed, ideology and religion
And many times soldiers are all of the three mentioned as well

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 01:54 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Plain and simple...... Politicians and their followers. They make the people think is for a good cause, and in reality is for their own cause. Is basically the story of humanity.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:23 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

not always politicians though, religious leaders and fanantical military dictators

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 03:34 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Finti has some good points.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 04:30 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

finti pretty much said it.

Greed, lust for power, idealism...all reasons for war. Religion too.

Large and powerfull countries, pick on small and defenceless ones, in the conquest of power. Its the idea of ''you'll eaither be like me, or you'll die''

I think everyone should see Rammsteins new video called ''Amerika''. It pretty much explains everything.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 10:42 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

quote:

they are made to be these tools. these soldiers that fight in the battlefeild have nothing to do with the war, except for the fact that they are fighing it. the people who sent them to fight has everything to do with it.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 10:56 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

War is young men dieing and old men talking. stick out tongue

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:00 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:

Many time's especially in history you are correct, but today with democracy soldiers are just regular people who for the majority dont want to fight in Wars,but are forced and brainwashed into doing so by the "leaders" If you dont go to war,you are faced with spending 10-20 years in prison, and are disgraced as a citezon of your country. Many people in military are there by choice, but not so much for a choice to embrace the experiences that the military offer, but by eigther a mandatory tour of service, or by situations in life that come up offer no better choice than to go to the military.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:09 PM
super pr*xy

milla>> is that from braveheart or something? sad but true. our leaders are quick to send our soldiers to war because they won't be the one shooting the guns, securing the perimeter, dropping the bombs and flyig the planes. they will be busy behind cushy desks talking endlessly about diplomacy while young men die.

isn't it funny that the US government will train somebody to be a killer before they sell them some alcohol..?

wait, did i say funny... i meant F*CKED UP.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:11 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Nah, its what Odysseus said to Achelles in the movie Troy...i dont like that move no but i love that line yes

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 11:13 PM