KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Would you send your child to a religious school?

Would you send your child to a religious school?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes. 8 26.67%
No. 17 56.67%
I'm not sure. 5 16.67%
Total: 30 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Would you send your child to a religious school?
Started by: WhiteEagle

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

Question Would you send your child to a religious school?

I was talking to my father today and he suggested a very interesting idea. Knowing he was an atheist and had been for all his life I asked him why he had sent his children (me and my sister) to a catholic school. He told me that he wanted to give his us all the opportunities we could have regarding the church. And that by the end of our education we would choose how much, if any of it we wanted to take or leave. He said some people need the church to different degrees and others don't need it at all. He thought that to keep us isolated from the church was just ignorant. Worship of a higher being/s is something innate in mankind worldwide, so you can hardly pretend religion doesn't exist. He said that to do so would be as ignorant as hardcore religious types who see all atheists as hollow shells or lost souls or evil.

I had always been against the idea of religious schools as I thought it would just churn out one religious drone after another. But who knows? Here I am, after 13 years of catholic education and I'm an atheist because I believe it is the right choice for me after considering the other options. So is my sister, although I can hardly speak for her regarding her beliefs. Given all this, is it so bad to send your child to a religious school (even in spite of your own beliefs)? I mean, it worked for me. Not because I'm an atheist, but because I chose to be one out of my own logic. So, what do you think? Would you send your child to a religious school?

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:04 PM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

In my opinion:

No way in Hell. My kids can have all their beliefs through life, I won't deny them be influenced by religions, but I will not send them to a religious school.
Don't like the uniforms....stick out tongue
But honestly, I've had BAAAAAAAAAAAD experiences with those...."institutions".....never.....

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:09 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

christianity is a subject in school from 1st to 10th grade and they get plenty input about chrisitan stuff there

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:15 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

quote:
christianity is a subject in school from 1st to 10th grade and they get plenty input about chrisitan stuff there

Whoa, that seems strange. I've never heard of anything like that over here. As far as I know our public schools are 100% religious teaching free. Is it a compulsory subject?

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:18 PM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by finti

Absolutely! I went to a 'normal' (for want of a better word) school and I made my choices based on everything I was taught, and also the way I have been brought up. I chose to be atheist, not because I am ignorant but because that's simply the way I feel. Neither of my parents tried to drum their beliefs into me, to be honest I think my dad's disinterested anyway, but the point is I didn't make my decision without knowing facts, and it wasn't overnight either. I actually opted to take Religious Education through Yrs 10 & 11, having been offered the chance to drop it in favour of another Humanities subject. My reason being that although I myself do not follow a specific religion, I am very interested in the way other people lead their lives and what they believe. I know culture is very important, and I don't want to be ignorant. As for sending my children to religious schools or not, well, if my children went to a school anything like mine I'd be more than happy.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:24 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Parents can get their kids out of chrisitanity classes those who are taken out of them have ohter subjects like lifestyles and the likes, same goes for people of a different religion than the state religion of Norway (evangleic lutheren Protestants).
So I had it as a subject and of course I drew it, of all things, as a bi part of the finals. The options were geography, history, chrisitanity and biology and Science. The rest of the finals consisted of the obligatory Math, Norwegian(grammer and essays and stuff), English(same thing as with Norwegian). And lucky me I drew christianity to supplymad

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:28 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Do you think that in the present climate, machinations which (in practise) promote racial separation are good things?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:28 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by finti
Parents can get their kids out of chrisitanity classes those who are taken out of them have ohter subjects like lifestyles and the likes, same goes for people of a different religion than the state religion of Norway (evangleic lutheren Protestants).
So I had it as a subject and of course I drew it, of all things, as a bi part of the finals. The options were geography, history, chrisitanity and biology and Science. The rest of the finals consisted of the obligatory Math, Norwegian(grammer and essays and stuff), English(same thing as with Norwegian). And lucky me I drew christianity to supplymad

I think it worked cleverly at my school. I had the option of choosing between History, Sociology, Religion and Geography for my options at the end of Yr 9 . We were allowed to choose more than one, but at least one had to be chosen. The curriculum for religion covered mostly Christianity throughout the start of my education, but as I got older we began to cover more morality issues and worldly ethics. In Yrs 10/11 we delved very deeply into the Moral and Ethical side of it. I really enjoyed that aspect.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:32 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Further study on religions can be taken after you finish the mandatory 10 grades. Its not like you choose religion it just seem to follow you like a bad habbit. I took marketing and for some odd reason besides marketing and economics we had religion.....go figure

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:35 PM
Syren
dreaming

laughing out loud

Had I continued into higher education I will admit that religion wouldn't have been one of my options.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 03:40 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
I think it worked cleverly at my school. I had the option of choosing between History, Sociology, Religion and Geography for my options at the end of Yr 9 . We were allowed to choose more than one, but at least one had to be chosen. The curriculum for religion covered mostly Christianity throughout the start of my education, but as I got older we began to cover more morality issues and worldly ethics. In Yrs 10/11 we delved very deeply into the Moral and Ethical side of it. I really enjoyed that aspect.

Ethics...I'm taking that right now!

I myself am an atheist, but I would never press my beliefs (or lack of) on my children. I was lucky that my parents allowed me to make my own decisions about religion and I'd like to someday do the same for my own children. BUT in the US it's basically either you go to a religious school or you go to a public school. So, I really don't know.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:19 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
Ethics...I'm taking that right now!

I myself am an atheist, but I would never press my beliefs (or lack of) on my children. I was lucky that my parents allowed me to make my own decisions about religion and I'd like to someday do the same for my own children. BUT in the US it's basically either you go to a religious school or you go to a public school. So, I really don't know.

It seems a real shame to me that they've been segregated that way erm

I'm more grateful now for the fact that I've had such flexibility with my choices, and I want my children to have the same breathing space, if not more so.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:32 PM
Peach
mordrem

I'm a fan of seperation of church and state...but at most schools in the US (that I know of, anyway), the only way you learn anything about other religions is in a world history class. I don't like being taught religion, but learning ABOUT other ones I think is cool.

After my ethics class ends I may take Philosophy of World Religions yes I think it'd be a very interesting class, learning about other religions and why they think the way they do.

Same here -- my family is Catholic and that is how I was raised, but it was never really forced on me. When I realized that it wasn't for me and over time came to the decision that I'm an atheist, my mom was cool with it, and I really appreciate the fact that she accepted it and didn't force me to go to church or anything. She just wanted myself and my brother and sister to be able to have an opportunity to decide for ourselves what our beliefs are.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:38 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
I'm a fan of seperation of church and state...but at most schools in the US (that I know of, anyway), the only way you learn anything about other religions is in a world history class. I don't like being taught religion, but learning ABOUT other ones I think is cool.

I agree with the separation of church and state, but I really appreciated being able to learn about religion in my school. I am so glad now that I am not ignorant, as some of my friends are through no fault of their own.

quote:
After my ethics class ends I may take Philosophy of World Religions yes I think it'd be a very interesting class, learning about other religions and why they think the way they do.

That's the aspect that I really loved. Learning about other cultures, the way people live their lives, and also having the opportunity, should I want it, to follow a religion I wouldn't even have known about were it not for my school teachings.

quote:
Same here -- my family is Catholic and that is how I was raised, but it was never really forced on me. When I realized that it wasn't for me and over time came to the decision that I'm an atheist, my mom was cool with it, and I really appreciate the fact that she accepted it and didn't force me to go to church or anything. She just wanted myself and my brother and sister to be able to have an opportunity to decide for ourselves what our beliefs are.

I'm glad that you mom reacted the way she did, there's no worse guilt trip for youngsters making life decisions than parents leaning on them and pressurising them to believe certain things.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:42 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

no way...ill let my children find their own path in life without having people like me forcing ideals into them.

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:44 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Hmm, coming from Australia we have a good education system, Religious schools, private and government. Often though the private schools are also highly religious, and of course we have scripture classes in public schools. Personally religion, when coming to education, is not the most important thing. I would not wish to force my children (when I get some heh) to believe as I did, it should be their choice, but if the local Catholic school had the best education, well I would send them there probably, just as I would consider the benefits of a non-religious school.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:45 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CherryPop
I'm Bringing Sexy Back

Seriously, I think that i might want to put my child into a religious school. But i'm not 100% sure. I would much rather home school her. To keep her away from the guns, drugs, sex, and violence that is in our public (and sometimes private) schools.

My Sig Gallery Taking Requests

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:45 PM
CherryPop is currently offline Click here to Send CherryPop a Private Message Find more posts by CherryPop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Delicious1
Seriously, I think that i might want to put my child into a religious school. But i'm not 100% sure. I would much rather home school her. To keep her away from the guns, drugs, sex, and violence that is in our public (and sometimes private) schools.

And away from the opportunity to interact with other children, to learn social skills, life ideals and the ability to make decisions for herself?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:46 PM
Peach
mordrem

Home schooling may sound like a good idea, but it's very hard to make friends when you don't get to go to school and meet people. Yeah, school can suck and the big wide world isn't always a safe place, but you can't shelter your children forever.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:47 PM
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Delicious1

you cant hold them back forever...theyll eventually have to interact with this kind of stuff....its inevitable...

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2004 04:49 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote