KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Has America Become a Theocracy?

Has America Become a Theocracy?
Started by: Capt_Fantastic

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Has America Become a Theocracy?

Considering the numbers in recent polls, where so much of the country approves of the Bush Administration and the way it's running the country, do you believe that America has become a theocracy? GW says he gets his inspiration from God and prays for the answers. His largest constituancy is the "moral majority" and the religious conservatives. Issues like immigration, same sex marriage, foreign policy, etc are all being decided by strictly religious conservatives.

We're fighting a war on terrorism where the opposite side is being villified as "religious zealots" because they want to rule the world through their religion, and in turn justify their acts of brutality with their religion.

So, if religious zealots are our problem, why not start with the ones right here in our own country first?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:32 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Err to be a Theocracy the head of religion and the head of state need to be the same person, among other prereqs, so I don't think america will be a theocracy any time soon

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:36 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Fire
Err to be a Theocracy the head of religion and the head of state need to be the same person, among other prereqs, so I don't think america will be a theocracy any time soon

I don't mean a literal theocracy. I'm referring to the fact that so much of this country is being run out of the bible. The rule, these days, seems to be that if god doesn't like it or agree with it....then it needs to go away.

Look at Stem cell research. It could drastically improve our lives, and it is being banned because "god won't like it" It's the same as abortion.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:40 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Oooh, dont get me started on this topic.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:48 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Has America Become a Theocracy?

quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Considering the numbers in recent polls, where so much of the country approves of the Bush Administration and the way it's running the country, do you believe that America has become a theocracy? GW says he gets his inspiration from God and prays for the answers. His largest constituancy is the "moral majority" and the religious conservatives. Issues like immigration, same sex marriage, foreign policy, etc are all being decided by strictly religious conservatives.

We're fighting a war on terrorism where the opposite side is being villified as "religious zealots" because they want to rule the world through their religion, and in turn justify their acts of brutality with their religion.

So, if religious zealots are our problem, why not start with the ones right here in our own country first?

I don't trust polls whatsoever. And I don't think America is becoming a Theocracy (even if it is not the literal sense of the word) I live in America and so far no cop or military soldier has arrested me for not going to church. Besides, the only congregation I go to is the Baseball and Football game on the weekend.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:55 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

dont trust polls either, they never seems to get a tru cross-section
of the population

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:02 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

you need a very very very big poll to get results that actualy give SOME indication as to what the public thinks about something. And if you didn't mean it literally you should have used another word stick out tongue

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:15 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

WD is right, we have a lot of religious fanatics in this country, but the majority of the country aren't these people... Plus I think that the majority of the country disapproves of Bush. Never believe the polls.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:16 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not a big believer of polls, but I still get this disturbed feeling that he is going to win this election.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:26 PM
Darth Revan
-

Yes, unfortunately, I do too... In which case we're ****ed because he'll do whatever he wants without fear of not getting elected again.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:29 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

theocracy

n 1: a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided)
2: the belief in government by divine guidance

the US still has no deity or official thought to be divinely guided president... though the believe that the government by divine guidance is shining more through the last years

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 06:05 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I think the confusion arises from certain obsevartions. For example the pledge of alligiance which includes the name God. And also the infamous "In God We Trust" sentence that can be found on all $1 bills. But as far as the Government establishing a federal requiring all citizens to go to church, I don't think so. Just check out the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In other words you can worship whoever you like just as long as you don't impose those beliefs on others. Now ain't that a great idea or what? Hell yeah!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 06:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nienna
nonexistent

Most of America is definitely non-religious or against the Bible, so no, not a theocracy....no expression

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 11:06 PM
Nienna is currently offline Click here to Send Nienna a Private Message Find more posts by Nienna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote