KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Very Lucky Survivor

Very Lucky Survivor
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Shocked Very Lucky Survivor

Article from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4460568/
(please log in to view the image)

March 5 - The sun was dropping quickly through the frozen air when Eric LeMarque realized he was lost. An hour earlier, the 34-year-old snowboarder had ducked out of bounds on 11,000-foot Mammoth Mountain in California’s Sierra Nevadas, looking for a “fresh line”—virgin powder. But a wrong turn sent him into the wilderness on the back of the mountain, and now he was cold and wet and stuck. His cell-phone battery was dead. He had no food beyond four pieces of gum and no protection beyond the clothing he wore. He built a fire pit and gathered kindling in hopes the ski patrol would see the smoke, but his soggy matches wouldn’t light. “I thought, God, I’ve got to get out of here,” he recalls. LeMarque strapped on his board again and plunged downhill in the darkness, unknowingly speeding further from safety and rescue every minute.

advertisement

He would spend seven nights in the High Sierras last month before he was found alive by a stunned Army National Guard helicopter crew. He was on the point of exhaustion and death on what became for him a very lucky Friday the 13th. LeMarque endured nights of single-digit temperatures and days that often failed to crack freezing. The snow lay 12 feet deep. Frostbite dogged him early on, and he trudged on feet that were increasingly numb until, finally, he could no longer walk or even stand up. What food he ate consisted of tree bark and pine seeds—he lost 35 pounds. By the end he was hallucinating and dreamed that his struggle was just a videogame that he was losing. “I was thinking, the game is over,” LeMarque told NEWSWEEK. “Let’s reset it. I give up.”

LeMarque was well suited for survival. Born in Paris but raised in Los Angeles, he grew up to be a solid college hockey player—good enough to be drafted by the NHL’s Boston Bruins. When he didn’t make the pros, he played in Europe for five years, including a tour with the French national team during the 1994 Winter Olympics. In recent years, he’s taught hockey and kept in shape with sports and frequent snowboarding. A risk-taker and an optimist, he had no doubt he wouldn’t mind boarding by himself even after friends returned to Los Angeles the morning he became lost. Even after dark that first night he was sanguine. “I figured it was an adventure,” he recounts. “I’ll wake up the morning, and I’ll be saved.”

He should have worried more. LeMarque continued downhill for another day, putting miles between him and safety and getter ever colder. He found a riverbed and found hopping on the rocks easier going than navigating the deep snow—until he fell in and got soaked. Fast moving water pushing against his snowboard threatened to drag him over an 80-foot waterfall. He was soaked. The next day in the cold sunshine, he peeled off his frozen socks and tore the soles off his feet. “They were already black and purple and red,” he recalls. “I tried to forget them.”

The will to live and some clever thinking kept him alive. He avoided eating snow, which lowers the body temperature dangerously. At night he used the edge of his board to shave pine boughs and branches for a bed to keep off the snow. Recalling a movie, he jury-rigged a compass by floating a metal needle on a bit of wood floating in water. He turned the radio on his MP3 player into a direction finder after he noticed that reception on a station broadcast from Mammoth grew stronger when pointed north. So he turned course and headed in that direction, pushing step by slow step up the side of a mountain called Pumice Butte where he might be seen. His endurance helped, but by day five, he ran out of energy. He stayed in his snow shelter for two nights, barely able to move. “I was too tired.” By Friday morning, Feb. 13, “I knew today was the day.” He would either be saved that day or die.

Luckily, rescue efforts had finally geared up. For days, no one knew LeMarque was on the mountain. Friends he’d stayed with in Mammoth had returned to L.A. the morning he was lost. It wasn’t unusual for him not to check in with his parents. “We didn’t worry at first,” says his mother, Susan LeMarque. “He’s 34.” By midweek, they were panicked, and his father and stepmother drove to the resort and pushed a search. The only things missing from his condo, police found, were his board, keys and season pass. That meant he was on the mountain. But where?

Search and rescue patrols swung into action on Thursday, Feb. 12. The next day, patrollers found the abortive fire pit, then the tracks. By 3:30 a helicopter crew spotted him using infrared imaging. Semiconscious, LaMarque rose to his knees, waving frantically in the air. Stunned rescue workers were shocked to find him alive. “It amazed everybody,” says Bill Greene of Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue. “I don’t think anybody was not surprised to find him alive.” Rescue workers radioed the chopper crew to double check his name, figuring that maybe this guy was a second lost skier. Eric LeMarque couldn’t have survived.

He was alive, not well. His feet and ankles were suffering from stage IV frostbite—water in the cells had frozen causing muscle, blood and tissue cells literally to burst, explains Dr. Peter H. Grossman of the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital in Los Angeles, where LeMarque has been treated since he was stabilized at a Mammoth hospital. Doctors had amputated both feet, and this week they took off six more inches of shin bone to close the wounds. He’ll be fitted with prosthetic limbs this spring and begin the long task of learning to walk again. He says he’ll face life with a new humility. He even vows to hit the slopes again. “I’ll be snowboarding next season,” he promises. But next time, he’ll be much, much better prepared.

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

Wow... what a man. I would've died erm
Anyone else find this amazing?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:00 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pantera
< insert random comment >

Holy crap. That guy is tough.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:02 PM
Pantera is currently offline Click here to Send Pantera a Private Message Find more posts by Pantera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Wow, I wouldn't ever want to go snowboarding again. confused He must be pretty brave.

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:43 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evy_O
don't let go

OMG! eek!
Well done for him though thumb up

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 06:58 PM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

I'm scared to leave my computer room now... confused

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 11:46 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maverick2364
Jedi Master

wow, what an awesome survivor.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 11:47 PM
Maverick2364 is currently offline Click here to Send Maverick2364 a Private Message Find more posts by Maverick2364 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

whoh, that goy was lucky to survive (but not so lucky to have it happen to him in the first place)

Old Post Mar 9th, 2004 12:35 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote