KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » New Pope Elected

New Pope Elected
Started by: Jedi Priestess

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~JP~
yeah baby

Warning New Pope Elected

smile

VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, a longtime guardian of doctrinal orthodoxy, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI.

Last edited by ~JP~ on Apr 19th, 2005 at 04:51 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:48 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Was it Darth Vader?!!?!?!

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:49 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Thats fast, and unexpected...

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:50 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Honestly I dont know that much about this man. Have to do some reading I guess.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:50 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This is history in the making! big grin

Pope Benedic XVI. I like it!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:51 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

What happened to all those original pope's that still made up their own name... sad

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:52 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Actually they will take the name of the Pope that made them Cardinal alot of times, but this one did not. The man is 78 years old. That kind of surprised me.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:53 PM
Fishy

Sometimes thats the case, otherwise they just take the name of a pope they respected in history... Well anybody pope except for the first...

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:54 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

Europe - AP
AP
Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany Is New Pope

1 minute ago

Add to My Yahoo! Europe - AP

By WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, a hard-line guardian of conservative doctrine, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI and called himself "a simple, humble worker."

Ratzinger, the first German pope since the 11th century, emerged onto the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica, where he waved to a wildly cheering crowd of tens of thousands and gave his first blessing as pope. Other cardinals clad in their crimson robes came out on other balconies to watch him.

"Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me — a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord," he said. "I entrust myself to your prayers," the pope said.

The crowd responded by chanting "Benedict! Benedict!"

Ratzinger served John Paul II since 1981 as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. In that position, he has disciplined church dissidents and upheld church policy against attempts by liberals for reforms. He turned 78 on Saturday.

The new pope had gone into the conclave with the most buzz among two dozen leading candidates. He had impressed many faithful with his stirring homily at the funeral of John Paul II, who died April 2 at age 84.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 04:58 PM
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

This guy sooo isn't lasting until 2020.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:03 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Mo, i don't think anybody wants him too...

Its better for the Vatican if a pope gets elected that won't last that long, at least after they had a really great or at least according to catholics great pope... That way he can't change to much and the new pope won't be in the shadow of JPII anymore...

At least thats what some Vatican experts seem to think

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:05 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Ratzinger' s past includes brief membership of the Hitler Youth movement although there is no suggestion that he was involved in any atrocities.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:10 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

If he's german and over 70 then thats very logical, almost every german child was

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:13 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

as long as he didn't pick the name peter or is named peter, i'm down

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:14 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

78, german, very conservative

i wanted to start this thread embarrasment

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:15 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

78!!!, he wont last too long

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:16 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I read up on him. He sounds really nasty compared to the last pope. Very strict.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:20 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's not even that much younger than John when he died.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:22 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

i think it is what they wanted. make him a cardinal just for few years. and then the next pope will be more liberal erm

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:25 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

JP2 wasnt even 60 when elected.
this guy isnt going to last long at all.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 05:28 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote