KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Southern Stereotypes

Southern Stereotypes
Started by: theReject

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
theReject

Smile Southern Stereotypes

Well, I was thinking earlier today when I was shelving books at the library about what people in the North really think about Southerners.
So to all those who live in Northern areas (Or England or Australia), do you perceive Southern people according to the usual stereotypes or do you think of us just the same as you. I once heard that some people in New York thought that we don't wear shoes to school and work. I thought that was funny. big grin I'd also like to know any other stereotypes you have heard.

I promise that I will find absolutely nothing offensive so feel free to say exactly what you think. This is not about starting an argument. I am just curious. smile I was thinking of doing a Sociology paper on this topic. And I would be thankful for ANY input.

The grateful Reject

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:31 AM
theReject is currently offline Find more posts by theReject Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by theReject
Well, I was thinking earlier today when I was shelving books at the library about what people in the North really think about Southerners.
So to all those who live in Northern areas (Or England or Australia), do you perceive Southern people according to the usual stereotypes or do you think of us just the same as you. I once heard that some people in New York thought that we don't wear shoes to school and work. I thought that was funny. big grin I'd also like to know any other stereotypes you have heard.

I promise that I will find absolutely nothing offensive so feel free to say exactly what you think. This is not about starting an argument. I am just curious. smile I was thinking of doing a Sociology paper on this topic. And I would be thankful for ANY input.

The grateful Reject

Where in the south are you from?

I grew up in Tennessee.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:34 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theReject

I was born and live in Mississippi.big grin

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:35 AM
theReject is currently offline Find more posts by theReject Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

New Jersey

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:38 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Nice!

I've been down that way a few times.

Anyways, to keep this on topic.

Another stereotype is we ALL listen to country music and have mullets.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:38 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theReject

Oh yea! The mullet stereotype. I forgot about that one.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:41 AM
LanceWindu

Or we are missing most of our teeth and drinking moonshine all day long.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:42 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Southerners are VERY stereotyped here at KMC. Unfortunately. sad

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:44 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

People say southerners marry their cousins, are racist sexist and homophobic, listen to country and western, like nascar, live in trailers, keep their christmas decorations up year round, can't read, still think "the south will rise again," and if black they have gold teeth and braids and love getting "crunk."

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:49 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Next Venom_girl
Scream

Ever see the Simpsons? "That be our shootin' car." evil face

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:50 AM
Next Venom_girl is currently offline Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
People say southerners marry their cousins, are racist sexist and homophobic, listen to country and western, like nascar, live in trailers, keep their christmas decorations up year round, can't read, still think "the south will rise again," and if black they have gold teeth and braids and love getting "crunk."

laughing out loud

I happen to like Nascar (for the crashes) stick out tongue

I lived in a trailer for a while when my family was having money problems.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:50 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Do any Southerners here find the term "redneck" to be offensive?

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:52 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Draco69
Do any Southerners here find the term "redneck" to be offensive?

Nah, redneck is something to be proud of in the south wink. I no longer live in the south, but I still love it.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:54 AM
theReject

In answer to Draco69's question: Nope big grin

Old Post May 12th, 2005 02:57 AM
Afro Cheese

Yeah I noticed that when I lived in North Carolina people would call themselves rednecks and even wear shirts and shit with redneck written on it.. but down here in Florida if you call someone a redneck some people get real offended.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:00 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theReject

People in North Carolina call themselves rednecks? I didn't know that.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:07 AM
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Yeah I noticed that when I lived in North Carolina people would call themselves rednecks and even wear shirts and shit with redneck written on it.. but down here in Florida if you call someone a redneck some people get real offended.
Originally posted by theReject
People in North Carolina call themselves rednecks? I didn't know that.
I was born in Miami and moved to North Carolina when I was about 8...Im 31 now and never have I called myself a redneck...I only know a small handfull of people here in NC who do call themself a redneck.

made by Scribble

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:13 AM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben-Kenobi

Im born and raised in Louisville Kentucky Home Of The Kentucky Derby Its not really red red neck down here its achully really civilized

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:14 AM
Ben-Kenobi is currently offline Click here to Send Ben-Kenobi a Private Message Find more posts by Ben-Kenobi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theReject

Hmm. Since now we know of some stereotypes, (Southerners) which do you find to be the most true, or seemingly true?

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:26 AM
Afro Cheese

I know tons of people in NC that say they are proud to be rednecks.

Old Post May 12th, 2005 03:58 AM