KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » ‘gaysrok’

‘gaysrok’
Started by: Tex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tex
Yumsz

‘gaysrok’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8734642/

quote:

Utah woman can keep ‘GAYSROK’ license plate
Judge allows woman to keep another similar plate, ‘GAYRYTS’

SALT LAKE CITY - The state of Utah can’t block a woman from using her license plate to tell the world “GAYSROK,” a judge has ruled.

The state has no good reason to prevent Elizabeth Solomon from having that plate — which can be read “Gays are OK” or “Gays Rock” — or another one saying “GAYRYTS,” according to Jane Phan, an administrative law judge with the Utah State Tax Commission.

“The narrow issue before us is whether a reasonable person would believe the terms ‘gays are OK’ and ‘gay rights’ are, themselves, offensive to good taste and decency. It is the conclusion of the commission that a reasonable person would not,” Phan wrote.

The state can appeal the July 19 decision.

“We’re discussing it, and we have 30 days to do that,” Barry Conover, deputy director of the commission, which oversees Utah’s Department of Motor Vehicles, said Wednesday.

“It kind of opens up the door for all types of people who want to make a license plate a public forum, for every initiative,” he said.

Dani Eyer, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah, which represented Solomon, countered: “The government can’t pick and choose what subjects it likes and does not like.”

Solomon, of Park City, on Wednesday said she considered the judge’s decision as a victory for her daughter, who is gay, and for two gay male friends.

Can you believe that in 2005, a state actually fought, and may continue to fight, the removal of a 'GAYSROK' license plate?

Seeing as the statement is "offensive" and "indecent".

It's sickening.
A license plate that represents acceptance, understanding and compassion is deemed "distasteful" by the heavily Republican/Mormon Utah government.

The only distasteful, indecent and offensive thing I see is the outrageous prejudice and hate spewed by the Utah government.

They are such hateful and close minded people that would forcefully prevent you from expressing beliefs they deem "obscene". In other words, compassion, respect, understanding and equality have no place in Utah.

Repulsive!

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 03:19 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prince Nauj
Bebop

rememeber utah is the home of Mormons messed

lo lo Bromios lo lo Dendrites lo lo Eleutherios lo lo Enorches...

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 03:27 PM
Prince Nauj is currently offline Click here to Send Prince Nauj a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nauj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Have to agree with you there Tex.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 03:28 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

One of my best friend's ex-wife is from Utah. I've never met her, but from how much he despises her, she's got to be one of the biggest skanks alive.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 03:29 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Utah's tax dollars at work

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 03:48 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Not like they have anything better to spend it on. People that accept gays must be made to feel miserable by any means necessary.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 04:23 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

...think the reaction is a little over the top, frankly. The plates don't need to be censored, though.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 05:13 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Your gonna find that kind of stuff in Utah....It's totally all Mormon......Though they might be OK with...IHV7WIV...I have 7 wives. .

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 05:23 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

laughing

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 05:37 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

If they're going to censor license plates, why not censor tv, movies, newspapers, articles, the internet, and bumper stickers? I mean, if you are going to be against some kind of material, don't limit yourself in your crusade, right?

From my personal opinion, I can't see why a person NEEDS to have that kind of license plate, same as I can't figure out the "My kid is an honor student at such-n-such school". Both are pointless. I believe that people can and should have their own opinions, but when you flaunt them, prepare to take flak. It's just like Tom Cruise flaunting his beliefs and (In this case, directly) attacking others'. It's the same concept, only it's indirectly attacking other peoples' beliefs (That gay's are NOT okay) whether or not such ideas are right or wrong.

I mean, this isn't as simple as tv censorship by adults or simply changing the channel if it offends you; it's right in your face on the road. If I had a license plate that read something like Bestiality is Okay, or Rape is Okay, or something along those lines, (With the justification that it is natural, rooted in my genetic code and how I feel) and it -wasn't- challenged by a court, I would question the morality of the country I was living in.

But then again, what do I know?

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:07 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
If they're going to censor license plates, why not censor tv, movies, newspapers, articles, the internet, and bumper stickers? I mean, if you are going to be against some kind of material, don't limit yourself in your crusade, right?

From my personal opinion, I can't see why a person NEEDS to have that kind of license plate, same as I can't figure out the "My kid is an honor student at such-n-such school". Both are pointless. I believe that people can and should have their own opinions, but when you flaunt them, prepare to take flak. It's just like Tom Cruise flaunting his beliefs and (In this case, directly) attacking others'. It's the same concept, only it's indirectly attacking other peoples' beliefs (That gay's are NOT okay) whether or not such ideas are right or wrong.

I mean, this isn't as simple as tv censorship by adults or simply changing the channel if it offends you; it's right in your face on the road. If I had a license plate that read something like Bestiality is Okay, or Rape is Okay, or something along those lines, (With the justification that it is natural, rooted in my genetic code and how I feel) and it -wasn't- challenged by a court, I would question the morality of the country I was living in.

They've been censoring vanity plates since their inception, namely for offensive material. It was probably one of the few times they were faced with something as bold as this instance, and didn't know if it was in good taste or not, and that doesn't even matter because it's just the opinions of people in power. They can't impose their views on people's license plates, and now they know. I sort of understand their hesitance, suggesting the plates contents, with the state seal and name, is representitive of the whole, when it's not. But, it is backwards Utah.

People don't necessarily need things like this, but it sure gets their stance/feelings/messages across a lot stronger, especially by way of license plates. More power to 'em, though. Better than those tacky rainbow stickers. laughing

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:29 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Only in Utah would saying something positive about a group of people be seen as "offensive".

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:46 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

There is a bia difference between those two things however. Because the gays themselves agree with it, the animal does not and neither does the one that gets raped. That makes it not okay when looking at the law. Two people of the same sex having sex is not illegal, if it was then I would agree censorship would be right but seeing as its not they can't really stop the woman.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:51 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

not much it seems

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:59 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

So if the animal agrees, it's okay?

And what about another disturbing act... torture or murder? Is that okay so long as the other agrees? Or if someone likes to eat excrement? If the sole basis of something being acceptible is whether or not there was consent, then everything becomes absolutely relative.

But torture and murder ARE considered offensive acts, to condone or commit, regardless of consent, as is eating feces or whatnot.

Now... seeing as the lisence plate is issued and is technically property of the state of Utah or whatever, it should be by their descretion and standards that it be judged, not the individual's. The big trouble with America now is this rabid defense of individual's rights at the expense of the group as a whole. It's okay to be gay and do this and do that, but if a child and her friend holds hands to pray over their meal in school, they can be thrown out. Whose ideals are we championing here?

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:04 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by PVS
not much it seems

Thanks for your imput. You must know more. Please, enlighten us.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:05 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh, but i have nothing to add.
when someone parallels two consenting adults having sex to the rape
of an animal, what more is there to add?

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:10 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Read closer next time.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:13 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

i did. and i know you'll say you didnt intend to make such an ignorant connection, and maybe you didnt mean to, but you did. the next proper step would be to acknowledge that and make an effort to erase such prejudice from your mind, be it conscious or subconscious. wink

it wasnt just some random example. and you know it

Last edited by PVS on Jul 28th, 2005 at 08:25 PM

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:20 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

It's not prejudice. It's a black and white view of what is acceptable and what isn't, according to society standards. Things are either right or wrong, acceptable or not when it comes to law and doctrine. Now, what Fishy said was that the BIG difference was consent. If that was the only difference, it would not be enough to sepearate them.

Now, as for the liscense plate reading Bestiality is OKay or rape is okay, well... It's an extreme example, fair enough. But what would equate with homosexuality that would be offensive to some? If you can find me a better equal, I'd gladly replace the example. But anyways, the point was... It's in-your-face bias for something and in this case, it isn't neccessary. So why should it be defended? Especially since the state itself makes and distributes those plates? If every person (Or the grand majority) of the people in that state voted "Yes, that's okay" it would be the end of the problem.

It's a matter of consideration. I'm not saying that it's good or bad that people express their beliefs, but I AM saying it is bad when it extends to their lisence plates which are displayed for all to see. Unles you're saying you find that perfectly acceptable. If you do, I would hope you wouldn't get upset over your child coming home some day, asking all sorts of questions about other lifestyles (And that can be heterosexual deviance or otherwise... including your favorite barnyard animals) because it's not kept from public view.

And another thing, if that license plate read OSAMARULEZ or something people would be all over it like bees on a honey-dipped dog. Even though the same people who would argue gays and pro-gays should be allowed their public self-expression would bomb that car and you know it.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 08:30 PM