KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Modern Art

Modern Art
Started by: jaden101

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Modern Art

not the usual hot political topic of choice for the GDF but one that usually gives a pretty good 2 sided debate

what is the point of modern art?

should artists be able to carry out things in keeping with their imagination...should a "proper" artist have a talent to match the thought

many pieces of modern art seem to lack any merit and are totally bereft of artistic skill...

take some of the examples of this last year...

a constantly running tap in an abandoned building somewhere in London...thats all it was...water coming from a tap...the only reason it got any attention was because it was "displayed" in the middle of a hose pipe ban

then you have the exhibitions such as one where a load of expensive department store bags were layed out on the floor in rows

or the stack of bread crates that sold for several thousand pounds simply because someone who claims to be an artist stacked them up

i mean...where is the skill in this

(please log in to view the image)

to me, an art form should both have a personal meaning to the creator and also please its audience...

while art and artists don't have fans in the traditional sense that music and film icons have fans...they do have collectors

it seems that the art world is very insular and artists merely metaphorically fellate one another while simultanaously ripping off rich idiots who think they can buy there way to cultural enlightenment

it also seems that when the art world is attacked...its ultimate response is that those doing the criticising simply lack the artistic ability to comprehend their work...a pathetic attempt at making themselves seem on a higher cultural plain simply because they can defecate in a bag and hang it in an art gallery

then take the art critics...have you ever come across such a pretentious bunch of cretins in all your life...here is an extract from a typical art critic review

quote:
Brazilian art of the past half century has been a strange hybrid of European and American imports - from constructivism to neo-plasticism, conceptualism, minimalism and post minimalism, to happenings, fluxus, and performance. Yet there are some considerable individual talents, and an undefinable yet palpable spirit. You might say that Brazilian art looks like modern art everywhere, a lingua franca with a local spin. But this wouldn't be quite right. Art in Brazil has done more than digest and regurgitate. If one can make generalisations about a nation's art, what one can say about Brazilian art is that it has been an art of synthesis, of transformation, transposition and generosity. And an art too, with spirit

in English please

perhaps it is us mere mortals who lack the ability to understand...but i personally think that modern art is the furniture equivalent of a flat pack ikea table when compared with artists of old and their intricate and talented creations

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 08:30 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

Most modern art absolutely sucks.

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 08:45 PM
Echuu is currently offline Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Yeah....some art is really stupid.....I could do that.....maybe I'll rearage a few things, throw in a few cans, and bales of hay, and call that a masterpiece....OH and some dead birds too.....

Last edited by debbiejo on Sep 17th, 2005 at 08:51 PM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 08:49 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Uncultured swines!

The Tex is an avid modern art supporter!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 09:24 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
k00L kiD
life is a dream

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
not the usual hot political topic of choice for the GDF but one that usually gives a pretty good 2 sided debate

what is the point of modern art?

should artists be able to carry out things in keeping with their imagination...should a "proper" artist have a talent to match the thought

many pieces of modern art seem to lack any merit and are totally bereft of artistic skill...

take some of the examples of this last year...

a constantly running tap in an abandoned building somewhere in London...thats all it was...water coming from a tap...the only reason it got any attention was because it was "displayed" in the middle of a hose pipe ban

then you have the exhibitions such as one where a load of expensive department store bags were layed out on the floor in rows

or the stack of bread crates that sold for several thousand pounds simply because someone who claims to be an artist stacked them up

i mean...where is the skill in this

(please log in to view the image)

to me, an art form should both have a personal meaning to the creator and also please its audience...

while art and artists don't have fans in the traditional sense that music and film icons have fans...they do have collectors

it seems that the art world is very insular and artists merely metaphorically fellate one another while simultanaously ripping off rich idiots who think they can buy there way to cultural enlightenment

it also seems that when the art world is attacked...its ultimate response is that those doing the criticising simply lack the artistic ability to comprehend their work...a pathetic attempt at making themselves seem on a higher cultural plain simply because they can defecate in a bag and hang it in an art gallery

then take the art critics...have you ever come across such a pretentious bunch of cretins in all your life...here is an extract from a typical art critic review

in English please

perhaps it is us mere mortals who lack the ability to understand...but i personally think that modern art is the furniture equivalent of a flat pack ikea table when compared with artists of old and their intricate and talented creations

Looks like the alleys in NY

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 09:26 PM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Looks like the alleys in NY

except that the alleys in NY smell of food that was already eaten.

Artists feeling the need to express themselves. I have no problem with that.

What i do have a problem is with having a monstrosity erected permanently in public places. Especially when the 200-year-old location and the 4.5 ton sculpture contrast so heavily with eachother.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 10:03 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

What I have a problem with is that there are people who will actually buy a literal crock of shit in a jar no expression If you want to shit in a jar, knock yourself out, but please god don't demand 2 million dollars for it.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 01:33 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

I know what you mean Jaden. I've often wondered that myself. The running tap installation had to be turned off though stick out tongue It's almost like the first person to come up with a particular random idea is considered a brilliant artist erm As for analysis, with stuff like that you can say just about anything about it and it'd be right, because art is subjective. The whole "it's subjective" excuse has been used many times over.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 01:52 AM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Before the invention of Photography, Painting was employed the same way Phtos are today.

Afterwhich, the point of keep accurate photo realistic paintings died down, Thus Abstract Art was Born. Nowadays, Scenery Painting is Extreamly Tacky, no matter how beutiful it is. Solution: Change style, don't amke it photorealistc, make it less tacky.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 02:42 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth_royke

the difference between traditional art and modern art is that traditional art was to please the veiwer, and be aesthetically pleasing. modern art is more about making a statement. the tap piece for example, theres a continually running tap in a disused biulding. if people keep running their traps the resevoirs will be empty, like the building. its almost metamorphical in a sense. i'm not a huge fan of modern art buts i do accept the meanings behind the artwork, if sometimes hidden can be found and agreed with.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 04:31 PM
darth_royke is currently offline Click here to Send darth_royke a Private Message Find more posts by darth_royke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by darth_royke
the difference between traditional art and modern art is that traditional art was to please the veiwer, and be aesthetically pleasing. modern art is more about making a statement.

'Traditional art' also aimed to make a statement, but what has happened is that the statement has become paramount, while technique seems to be less important.

The role of art is often said to be communication.

Communication can be defined as the information to which a referent refers.

Following this theoretical strand, modern art is a deconstruction of the nature of art as it was understood.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 05:17 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

I've been in a modern art museum.. last month I believe..
and generaly it was very interesting..though I must admit that some of exhibitions were disgusting to me.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 05:43 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote