KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should A Marriage Partner Convert to the Other Partner's Faith/Religion?

Should A Marriage Partner Convert to the Other Partner's Faith/Religion?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes. Faith is critical to a strong marriage 0 0%
No. Love is all that matters. 15 100.00%
No opinion 0 0%
Total: 15 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Should A Marriage Partner Convert to the Other Partner's Faith/Religion?
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Worried Should A Marriage Partner Convert to the Other Partner's Faith/Religion?

A rather interesting article regarding faith and marriage. Should one mate convert to their other mate's faith/religion just because they're married?

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.as...=8&GT1=6898

I find it...intriguing.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:17 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

so if a protestant and a catholic should marry which one should convert and why is that.........and which faith has a "right" to deceide over another

Last edited by finti on Sep 28th, 2005 at 01:24 PM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:20 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Each should respect the other's religious preference if love is truly involved...
Besides, if your spiritual center lies on a certain view, then HOW shallow would your faith be if you were to sell it out because of the wishes of another....? Believe your beliefs is what I say.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:25 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

what a BS idea is that, faith shouldn't matter in a decent relationship the first girl to ask me to convert to "something" would be in trouble!

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:26 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

well put

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:26 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Besides, Faith and organised religion are two different things sometimes..

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:27 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Yes, a good point, why should one person convert to the others faith? Somebody is going to miss out, and it ends up ultimately that one person has had to change religion while the other hasn't. How do they choose who has to change?

Hmmm. But really I guess it depends on how serious a person is about there faith. The most Orthodox and fanatical believers probably wouldn't change, but then they probably wouldn't be considering marrying a person from another faith. Some people aren't that serious about religion, so probably wouldn't mind. But eh, as long as both couples care about one another, and everybody is happy, well that's the most important thing, religions shouldn't stand in the way. As they say love transcends such things...

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:28 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

If they love each other. Love is all the matters..

(but eg one person believes and the other doesn't..and the non-believer starts to believe thanks to that other person.. confused )

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:28 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

that's tough question...in my opinion, it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately it does for many people...Can create a great deal of problems especially when the couple starts having children...

In my family growing up, my father Was Roman Catholic, my mother was Pentecost....She won, and my dad tried, but there was a lot of resentment....Caused many of their marriage problems...

I feel that when looking for a mate, one should also look for someone who is open minded about such things.

Last edited by debbiejo on Sep 28th, 2005 at 01:32 PM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:30 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think it should be forced, but it would be easier in the long run, both on the parents and the children.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:30 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
that's tough question...in my opinion, it shouldn't matter

I feel that when looking for a mate, one should also look for someone who is open minded about such things.

Wise words indeed....

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:31 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both should drop their religions if they wanna be together and religion is stopping them (although it shouldn't).

OR! Alternatively just do what you want.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 01:51 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

No. Don' t try to convert your spouse to your beliefs. Conversion only works long term when the change is truly desired by the converting spouse and the decision to convert was made without pressure.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 02:18 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Depends on if they are serious about their religion or were just sorta born into it but never really devout. I mean say they want to get married in a Catholic church and one of them is a Protestant.. if the Protestant isn't really serious about their denomination they could just make things easier by converting so they can get married in the church they want to. But it should be volunteered by the one who is to convert, not proposed by the one who wants their partner to change denominations. Cause that's just inconsiderate.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 04:22 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

If you marry someone and they're gay, should you convert too?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 04:29 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Echuu
Master Jedi

Originally posted by Storm
No. Don' t try to convert your spouse to your beliefs. Conversion only works long term when the change is truly desired by the converting spouse and the decision to convert was made without pressure.

Agreed

Also I think when looking for a mate you should take into consideration what his/her beliefs are before getting involved.

"Jesus also thought that non-believers should be stoned"------Alliance

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 04:34 PM
Echuu is currently offline Click here to Send Echuu a Private Message Find more posts by Echuu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Depends on if they are serious about their religion or were just sorta born into it but never really devout. I mean say they want to get married in a Catholic church and one of them is a Protestant.. if the Protestant isn't really serious about their denomination they could just make things easier by converting so they can get married in the church they want to. But it should be volunteered by the one who is to convert, not proposed by the one who wants their partner to change denominations. Cause that's just inconsiderate.

Funny thing is that even if 1 or both people were not strong in their belief, after kids come...It could change...Seen it happen lots of times....You really need to talk about it before you get so involved.

Asking one to change ones belief just isn't right....

Here's a question....If both had the same belief and one changed to something else should it he/she be forced to stay in their old belief system?....Curious..

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 05:00 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

No I don't think they should if they don't want to....except if except if the convertion would be to agnosticism......they should be forced to...indeed

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 05:17 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

When I became a Buddhist, my wife became a Buddhist also, but I did not make her do that, she did it on her own. I told her she could make the decision for herself and if she didn't become a Buddhist, I would support her choice.

It makes it easier for both of us to be Buddhist.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 05:25 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
When I became a Buddhist, my wife became a Buddhist also, but I did not make her do that, she did it on her own. I told her she could make the decision for herself and if she didn't become a Buddhist, I would support her choice.

It makes it easier for both of us to be Buddhist.

When did you beco<e a Buddhits? ...Did you ever read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse......it's such a great book...kind of aboot Buddhism....then again only half-way.....

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 05:29 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote