KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is stupidity or intelligence genetic?

Is stupidity or intelligence genetic?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Is stupidity or intelligence genetic?

If a Mother and Father were both stupid or intelligent, can a child mentally turn out the way his/her parents are mentally?

There are alot of physical genetics that pass on from parent to kid but is mental capability one of them?

I think so. It's why you'll hear sometimes "Chip of the old block"..

or in the case of passed on mannerisms which is psychologically distinctive behavioral trait, where the term "he actes just like his father" or "mother", comes in.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 09:38 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Partially sequences of genes have been identified in the very intelligent and the very stupid although the effect of "Nurture" is at least equally as important.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 09:43 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

I believe that If you think your stupid, (believe that something is beyond you) or are treated as you are stupid... You will think yourself stupid and limit yourself...

By Barker
"There can be only none..."

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 09:55 PM
Hit_and_Miss is currently offline Click here to Send Hit_and_Miss a Private Message Find more posts by Hit_and_Miss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kon-El
Last Son of the Sith

intelligence aint genetic. My friend's parents are both lawyer but their son has Cs and Ds in school. But i dont know about me.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 10:03 PM
General Kon-El is currently offline Click here to Send General Kon-El a Private Message Find more posts by General Kon-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

Re: Is stupidity or intelligence genetic?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
If a Mother and Father were both stupid or intelligent, can a child mentally turn out the way his/her parents are mentally?

There are alot of physical genetics that pass on from parent to kid but is mental capability one of them?

or in the case of passed on mannerisms which is psychologically distinctive behavioral trait, where the term "he actes just like his father" or "mother", comes in.

It is not genetic it's a quality gained by environment. If the environment around the child is ignorant or intellectual the child is bound to copy. A "Chip off the old block" and "He acts just like his father/mother" comes from behavoral traits. For example, if the father happens to walk in a particular way and the child notices, than the child will adopt that way of walking, not because it's genetic, but he/she saw the parent doing it. Same thing with intelligence. If the father is an ignorant fool who wouldn't know the answer to a question even if it came up and bit him in the nose, and decides for every argument to say his side and not listen at all, the child will follow that manner. Not because it's genetic but rather through observation and imprinting.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 10:09 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DrDoom101
intelligence aint genetic. My friend's parents are both lawyer but their son has Cs and Ds in school. But i dont know about me.

have you heard about recessive genes DD? Nature and Nurture both play a role.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 10:10 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maestro

It depends on the attitude of an individual, they could be as smart as albert einstein, but if they don't want to particapate, then they won't get far.

It's pretty ironic coming from me though, I am a prime example of my above statement erm.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 10:16 PM
Maestro is currently offline Click here to Send Maestro a Private Message Find more posts by Maestro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
River Wild

I agree, it's always depends on the person itself!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 11:29 AM
River Wild is currently offline Click here to Send River Wild a Private Message Find more posts by River Wild Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by DrDoom101

I hope you realize that grades are ultimately meaningless, as you could pass all your tests - well - and still do poorly overall if you don't do your work.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 12:24 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

It's clearly down to both heredity and an individual's personal experience of life.

We obviously have an almost free reign on what we learn, or how we develop, or at least try to develop, but the fact is, we can only work with what we've got. Some people are genuinely not very capable.

It's obviously not all environmental, because some things clearly aren't taught, they are implicit or a priori.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Nov 25th, 2005 at 01:44 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 01:38 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Stupidity is not genetic, it's the effect of bad karma (bad causes in the past). Bad intended volitional activity always causes bad rebirth of conditions. Stupidity and intelligence is relative on the other hand.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:08 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's not is it?

George Bush is a dumb idiot, Britney Spears is a stupid fool. If someone views these people as smart, they too are stupid.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:09 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Everyone in life has a place and a purpose, dumb people as well.
PS. A dumb idiot must be really stupid now! laughing

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:12 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, but in saying that you prove my point.

Purpose or not, they're dumb.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:14 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

So what's the point in saying they're dumb then?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:37 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

You are saying "dumb" or "smart" is relative. It's not.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:38 PM
k00L kiD
life is a dream

Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Not really genetics, it has to do more with the surroundings

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 02:48 PM
k00L kiD is currently offline Click here to Send k00L kiD a Private Message Find more posts by k00L kiD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I see, looks like everyone's basically saying that stupidity and intelligence are learn by osmosis instead of it being inherent. But it is wierd how other characteristics are inherent, and I'm not talking about physical traits only. I'm talking about mental traits similar to stupidity and intelligence.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 04:40 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eis
androgynous mind

I don't know...
I think there are people who are simply born... stupid.
Like OK, my family's a great example me along with my siblings were all raised in the same environment and I've always gotten good grades and I don't mean to sound like a snob but I consider myself pretty intelligent, my older brother is not very smart, never has been and I'm quite certain never will be. We've both been learning English for 3 years and my English though it's not perfect, excels his. And, yes, I believe if a smart kid is raised in a very 'dumb' environment he could become dumb himself even though he/she has the capacity of being a hell lot smarter. erm

Last edited by Eis on Nov 25th, 2005 at 06:40 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 06:32 PM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Eis
I don't know...
I think there are people who are simply born... stupid.
Like OK, my family's a great example me along with my siblings were all raised in the same environment and I've always gotten good grades and I don't mean to sound like a snob but I consider myself pretty intelligent, my older brother is not very smart, never has been and I'm quite certain never will be. We've both been learning English for 3 years and my English though it's not perfect, excels his. And, yes, I believe if a smart kid is raised in a very 'dumb' environment he could become dumb himself even though he/she has the capacity of being a hell lot smarter. erm

What is your primary language?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2005 06:43 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote