KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » So much for encouraging violence.

So much for encouraging violence.
Started by: xyz revolution

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

So much for encouraging violence.

(please log in to view the image)

http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsi...ce/violence.htm

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 12:21 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Videogames stop crimes now?

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 01:02 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fishy
Videogames stop crimes now?

They do apparently.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 01:05 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably has nothing to do with video games.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 01:18 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Probably has nothing to do with video games.

I think it'S more about people claiming that Video Games are the root of violence nowadays, which they are not.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 01:26 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Hahaha.

Brass Eye graphs.

I have a graph I could show you of the world's population steadily rising since my birth.

I'm just that productive.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 03:52 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Hahaha.

Brass Eye graphs.

Agreed laughing out loud

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 03:53 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I think (know, in fact) the point is that videogames are supposed to be increasing violence (according to the raging moron segment of the population), but this is evidence that they aren't.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 03:58 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Gregory
I think (know, in fact) the point is that videogames are supposed to be increasing violence (according to the raging moron segment of the population), but this is evidence that they aren't.

I don't think it's very valid.

It's like saying my getting older is reducing crime. As an old lady near me purchases more antique teapots, crime goes down.

Too many variables not considered.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:06 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Anyone who have studied statistics know that doesnīt necessarily mean that video game had some influence on stoping the crimes. Any other event that happened between 1993, and 2003 might have influenced it. That graphic is just an statistical illusion(and a very bad one), you canīt conclude anything by it.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:06 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Anyone who have studied statistics know that doesnīt necessarily mean that video game had some influence on stoping the crimes. Any other event that happened between 1993, and 2003 might have influenced it. That graphic is just an statistical illusion, you canīt conclude anything by it.

Yeah, although I think the point is that it doesn't increase them.

Even then, though, your post still applies.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:07 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Yeah, although I think the point is that it doesn't increase them.

Even then, though, your post still applies.

Yup. Thats another thing that needs to be remembered, we canīt conclude that it increase them either.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:15 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

It's like saying my getting older is reducing crime. As an old lady near me purchases more antique teapots, crime goes down.

I don't think so; it's like saying that your getting older isn't causing crime. I don't think anybody's seriously arguing that video games reduce crime, just that if you want to say they cause crime, you'll have to deal with the fact that when video games became popular, crime did not, in fact, increase.

Of course, it could be that video games are are increasing crime rates, but other factors are simultaniously reducing them so much that the game-related increase is cancelled out. As you say, there are other variables.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:21 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Hahaha.

Brass Eye graphs.

I have a graph I could show you of the world's population steadily rising since my birth.

I'm just that productive.

Hi-larious.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:31 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

LOL to much

since global warming I have noticed a decreasing trend in pirates lol

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 04:39 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Gregory
I don't think so; it's like saying that your getting older isn't causing crime. I don't think anybody's seriously arguing that video games reduce crime, just that if you want to say they cause crime, you'll have to deal with the fact that when video games became popular, crime did not, in fact, increase.

Of course, it could be that video games are are increasing crime rates, but other factors are simultaniously reducing them so much that the game-related increase is cancelled out. As you say, there are other variables.

I think it is seriously arguing that they don't increase crime on the back of this graph. As you say, the evidence here isn't enough for that.

If I produced a graph showing that my getting older didn't cause crime, using the same variables as here, it would have a similar result.

To me, it's just one of those examples of trying to use figures to lend credibility, and also to obscure other factors.

Although I'm sure we all know this already.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 11:08 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Thats actually more credible than you would intially think.
The graph itself is actually from the Bureau of Justice... Not to say anything about Video Games reducing crimes. The statistics are actually right though...
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 12:02 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

When I use to get pissed off with clerks (banks, shops, cold callers...) messing me around I just use to wish death apon them... Now I can visualise it, all thanks to video games...

Pacifically "Postal 2 running with scissors" ...... Anyone wanting to know how wrong video games can get should play that...

For a more accurate time line rather then those other biased hacked graphs....

.... Oh and http://imokgame.com/ Worthy of a look in... They took up Mr. Thompson up on his offer to create a pc game... Fun for half an hour!!!

By Barker
"There can be only none..."

Last edited by Hit_and_Miss on Mar 6th, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 12:10 AM
Hit_and_Miss is currently offline Click here to Send Hit_and_Miss a Private Message Find more posts by Hit_and_Miss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

yeah, why kill people when you can play VIDEO GAMES big grin

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 12:22 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Video game is not the cause, there is really stupid things in video games, but it is equally stupid or worst to generalize it.

Worship Satan by Pickachu, that was great !!!

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Mar 6th, 2006 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 01:41 AM