KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Stephen Hawking: To the moon!

Stephen Hawking: To the moon!
Started by: Hotpants

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Stephen Hawking: To the moon!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CNN NEWS
HONG KONG, China (AP) -- The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy Earth, world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking said.

Humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years, the British scientist told a news conference.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system," added Hawking, who came to Hong Kong to a rock star's welcome Monday. Tickets for his lecture Thursday were sold out.

Hawking said that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100 years, they should have space settlements that can continue without support from Earth.

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species," Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

The 64-year-old scientist -- author of the global best-seller "A Brief History of Time" -- uses a wheelchair and communicates with the help of a computer because he suffers from a neurological disorder called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.

One of the best-known theoretical physicists of his generation, Hawking has done groundbreaking research on black holes and the origins of the universe, proposing that space and time have no beginning and no end.

However, Alan Guth, a physics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said Hawking's latest observations were something of a departure from his usual research and more applicable to survival over the long-term.

"It is a new area for him to look at," Guth said. "If he's talking about the next 100 years and beyond, it does make sense to think about space as the ultimate lifeboat."

But, he added, "I don't see the likely possibility within the next 50 years of science technology making it easier to survive on Mars and on the moon than it would be to survive on earth."

"I would still think that an underground base, for example in Antarctica, would be easier to build than building on the moon," Guth said.

Joshua Winn, an astrophysicist at MIT, agreed. "The prospect of colonizing other planets is very far off, you must realize," he said.

Hawking's "work has been highly theoretical physics, not in astrophysics or global politics or anything like that," Winn added. "He is certainly stepping outside his research domain."

Hawking's comments Tuesday were reminiscent of the work of American astrophysicist Carl Sagan, who was a believer in the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence.

Sagan, a Cornell University professor and NASA-decorated scientist who died in 1996, noted that organic molecules, the kind that life on Earth is dependent on, appear to be almost everywhere in the solar system.

Sagan played a leading role in the U.S. space program, helping design robotic missions and contributing to the Mariner, Viking, Voyager and Galileo expeditions.

But his work also focused on the search for habitable worlds and intelligent life beyond the solar system, as well as theories about life's origins, ideas popularized in his best-selling 1985 novel, "Contact," which was made into a film starring Jodie Foster.

At Tuesday's news conference, Hawking said he too was venturing into the world of fiction. He plans to team up with his daughter, 35-year-old journalist and novelist Lucy Hawking, to write a children's book about the universe aimed at the same age group as the Harry Potter books.

"It is a story for children, which explains the wonders of the universe," said Lucy Hawking. They did not provide further details.

(Summed up)

He's predicting that the world is going to be destroyed. Either Nuclear wars, or Global Warming, ect..

He's saying our only chance of survival. Is colonizing space.

One little spark...

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:28 AM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

I think he needs to calm down roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:42 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, he needs to chill out a bit. You're a really smart man, Steve, but just chill.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:44 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gay Guy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Stephen Hawking: To the moon!

Originally posted by Hotpants
(Summed up)

He's predicting that the world is going to be destroyed. Either Nuclear wars, or Global Warming, ect..

He's saying our only chance of survival. Is colonizing space.

This guy has like over a 200 IQ and he just figured out the it's possible for the earth to be destroyed by global warming or nukes? What the f**k?

Sheesh..doesn't take a genuis to figure that out.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:47 AM
Gay Guy is currently offline Click here to Send Gay Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Gay Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

i dont think he needs to calm down. People brushing off problems just makes them worse. We shouldn't be figuring out how to colinize on the moon, those funds should be going to a solution to the problems he thinks are going to force us to move from our planet. Ehh

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:49 AM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gay Guy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
We shouldn't be figuring out how to colinize on the moon, those funds should be going to a solution to the problems he thinks are going to force us to move from our planet.

thumb up

like world hunger, world peace, global warming, etc, etc....

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 04:52 AM
Gay Guy is currently offline Click here to Send Gay Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Gay Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

But you have to agree. This world is so tense right now, that its just going to snap. Its like theres so much pressure on the world, that its just going to explode, metaphorically speaking, of course.

One little spark...

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 05:04 AM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
i dont think he needs to calm down. People brushing off problems just makes them worse. We shouldn't be figuring out how to colinize on the moon, those funds should be going to a solution to the problems he thinks are going to force us to move from our planet. Ehh

Well, eventually, if humanity has managed to survive a few billion more years (extremely doubtful in my view) we will have to leave earth anyway, what with the sun dying and all that.

But yes, it is not something that can be rushed, and no use panicking. I think that it would be wise, in terms of specie survival, to be as diffuse and spread as possible (ptoverbial eggs, basket), but we aren't near that stage yet, so bringing up the specters of Global warming (which while it's implications are serious don't usually include the death of humanity) comets and the like doesn't really achieve anything.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 05:08 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

The earth might have been struck by a comet any time in the last 6 million years. Sure, it's plausible that our best hope for survival is to move into outer space, but to get one's panties in a wad now is kind of silly.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 05:28 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm just disturbed by the fact that the solution is "We've managed to severely damage, disrespect and defoul our own beautiful planet, what do we do?" "Duh, we find another.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 05:41 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I'm just disturbed by the fact that the solution is "We've managed to severely damage, disrespect and defoul our own beautiful planet, what do we do?" "Duh, we find another.".

-AC

Exactly

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 05:50 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

It's not really a new solution at all. Historically speaking so many of the "developed nations" that were powers reached a point where they said "By Jove, it's dirty and overpopulated here and we need more resources to keep it that way, lets go subjugate some natives who are living quite contentedly in some other beautiful country/island untouched by such things"

Humanity really needs to learn from it's mistakes instead of just moving on and committing them down the track again at some point.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2006 06:36 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SP90
Honestly Deceitful

Yeah, humanity sucks, all humans should be shot...

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 03:24 PM
SP90 is currently offline Click here to Send SP90 a Private Message Find more posts by SP90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

That's a bit of an overreaction from Mr. Hawking, sorry to say. I personally believe there are more options open than that.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 04:24 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote