KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Do you find the world Hedonistic.

Are People more Hedonistic then they would admit?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 7 50.00%
No 0 0%
I'm passive, I'll never tell 2 14.29%
What's hedonistic? 5 35.71%
Total: 14 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do you find the world Hedonistic.
Started by: debbiejo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
debbiejo
Dreamer

Do you find the world Hedonistic.

Do you believe people are more hedonistic then they would ever admit??

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 12:24 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Mmmm Hedonism...

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 12:35 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 01:00 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Yes, I think people would like to think they aren't so materialistic and pleasure seeking, but they are - including myself...well, I'm trying my best...

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 09:19 AM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Yes , their no more 'enough' in the world. Everyone wants as much as they can . Ergo pleasure is on the up-rise.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 11:02 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cking
King of the muscle shirts

more than any other generation before.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 11:42 AM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

quote: (post)
Originally posted by grey fox
Yes , their no more 'enough' in the world. Everyone wants as much as they can . Ergo pleasure is on the up-rise.

And you base those claims on... ?

Originally posted by cking
more than any other generation before.

And you base this claim on... ?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 10:52 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zephiel7

I find that morality has been pretty much constant throughout the ages.

In the Victorian times, affairs were just as constant, except they were done in private. This reflected the social implications of fornification , which have gradually diminished over time. Pleasuring oneself (sexually) has always been noticeable

I cannot say whether hedonistic behavior (pleasure yourself up) has changed, and I admit that many a times I have indulged in what I perceive to be sinful thoughts. (I myself strive for a more ascetic lifestyle, happiness via spiritual fulfillment, not physical).

The truth is, in any age there is a fair share of hedonists, comparetively less number of ascetics, and a fair share of people in between. During the time of Galileo, even the pope was rumoured to have illegitimate children! I would consider myself someone in between striving to become an ascetic (I am Orthodox Christian).

Last edited by zephiel7 on Jul 5th, 2006 at 01:55 AM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2006 01:50 AM
zephiel7 is currently offline Click here to Send zephiel7 a Private Message Find more posts by zephiel7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Hedonism is practiced by everyone, including Christians etc.

The issue is when they gain that pleasure or that pain, and what things give pleasure or pain.

A Christian is seeking heaven/pleasure and avoiding hell/pain. He does good, which is his form of pleasure in that it brings him closer to heaven. He avoids sin, which is his form of pain in that it leads him to hell. Even if describing it in the immediate the thought of the movement closer or further from heaven causes psychological "pain." All religions are similar in some way, not necessarily heaven and hell, but gaining good or avoiding bad in some way.

And everyone else is stupid if they think they are not hedonistic, it all depends on the individual what form their pleasure and pain takes.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jul 5th, 2006 02:10 AM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Yes, I find the world hedonistic... and it pleases me so.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2006 03:40 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the best course of action is to define the term "hedonistic".

It's such an ambigious term. Thinking black people should have the same rights as a white person might be considered "hedonistic" to some, or gay relationships, or abortion or any number of things.

Of course, once someone defines, absolutely, the term...them morals can be legislated. Which is impro'bible'.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2006 04:57 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zephiel7

Originally posted by Regret
Hedonism is practiced by everyone, including Christians etc.

The issue is when they gain that pleasure or that pain, and what things give pleasure or pain.

A Christian is seeking heaven/pleasure and avoiding hell/pain. He does good, which is his form of pleasure in that it brings him closer to heaven. He avoids sin, which is his form of pain in that it leads him to hell. Even if describing it in the immediate the thought of the movement closer or further from heaven causes psychological "pain." All religions are similar in some way, not necessarily heaven and hell, but gaining good or avoiding bad in some way.

And everyone else is stupid if they think they are not hedonistic, it all depends on the individual what form their pleasure and pain takes.

Sometimes what a Christian does, does not necessarily bring them any satisfaction or enjoyment. What a christian believes to be right may not always bring their body the satisfaction that it craves. Nor the mind the peace that it longs for.

For example, engaging in sexual activity may bring them physical pleasure, and perhaps give them some psychological edge, however their beliefs prevent them from indulging in such activities. As such the christian is sacrificing pleasure for enlightenment.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 09:09 PM
zephiel7 is currently offline Click here to Send zephiel7 a Private Message Find more posts by zephiel7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by zephiel7
Sometimes what a Christian does, does not necessarily bring them any satisfaction or enjoyment. What a christian believes to be right may not always bring their body the satisfaction that it craves. Nor the mind the peace that it longs for.

For example, engaging in sexual activity may bring them physical pleasure, and perhaps give them some psychological edge, however their beliefs prevent them from indulging in such activities. As such the christian is sacrificing pleasure for enlightenment.

Bullshit, as such the christian is sacrificing pleasure in the now for some sort of eternal pleasure fantasy.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 11:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

What's hedonistic?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:34 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
What's hedonistic?

Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hedonism

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:41 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

*sigh*

I was trying to tease deb and hopefuly trying to get her to laugh.

thanks for the explanation and link bardock.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:46 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

*sigh*

I was trying to tease deb and hopefuly trying to get her to laugh.

thanks for the explanation and link bardock.

You are welcome.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:52 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

What's hedonistic?
You know.........It's that thing you men do when you're sure you're alone...........lol laughing out loud stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 02:02 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

big grin

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 02:46 PM
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Even the most honorable motivations are hedonistic. In the end everything we do is because we want to feel better ourselves. The only difference is in how we try to accomplish this. A fireman or cop saves lives, but does so to feel good about him/herself eventually.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 03:45 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote