KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Novelty and materialism

Are you excited about novelty and things?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 1 50.00%
No 1 50.00%
Total: 2 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Novelty and materialism
Started by: Wonderer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wonderer

Novelty and materialism

Here it is! The latest, greatest! Bigger and better than ever...faster, smaller, new fatures, etc., etc....etc!!!

I'm sure you've all seen flashy advertising and marketing like the above. What do you feel about novelty? Does something new still make you excited or are you sceptical by now like I am - I don't get excited by new versions of stuff and all the great stuff about material goods anymore, because I know there will always be something newer and beter, later and greater, blah, blah....

Really, I'm at a point in my life where I am sickened by materialism and people's obsession about things and objects. How do you feel?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 01:58 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think new things are cool, and if you are happy with stuff you buy, go for it...but of course being skeptical to an extend is always the smart way to go...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I've never been materialistic.......god it took me forever to get a cell phone.....I was like the only person in the world that didn't one...I've never even bought a Micro wave........my dad keeps buying them for me........now lets not even talk DVD player.......I finally bought one of those.........I don't really need all these newer and better things..........It's all money market anyways......People follow them like hook, line and sinker.........

Now movies....hmmm I was like the only person that didn't see ET......and then when I did, I cried........haha

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:05 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
I've never been materialistic.......god it took me forever to get a cell phone.....I was like the only person in the world that didn't one...I've never even bought a Micro wave........my dad keeps buying them for me........now lets not even talk DVD player.......I finally bought one of those.........I don't really need all these newer and better things..........It's all money market anyways......People follow them like hook, line and sinker.........

so basically you are saying "I don't need them but I happen to have all the new shit by now"?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:06 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Only because I'm forced into it.....like DVD's.......I never bought the Micro........and the cell phone........I wanted to fit in......I was feeling left out... sad
I wanted to be special too.........

but honestly I'm happy without all the stuff....though I do say that I just love the newer technologies........I love my cell phone it takes pics and movies, and records.........it is the coolest thing ever........It's my favorite toy.....If only I knew how to work it....

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:11 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Re: Novelty and materialism

Originally posted by Wonderer
Here it is! The latest, greatest! Bigger and better than ever...faster, smaller, new fatures, etc., etc....etc!!!

Really, I'm at a point in my life where I am sickened by materialism and people's obsession about things and objects. How do you feel?

You forgot:
"Call within the next 10 minutes and get a second one free! But you must act now!!
big grin big grin

Happy Dance Happy Dance

It's not the materialism, per se. I mean, I enjoy many of the benefits of modern life (I'm using one right now). But what I do find...sad?...is the so-much-goddamn-emphasis on it. I personally find it all easier to deal with if I keep this in mind...
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
(Voltaire)
So, to allay our fears, we buy things.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:13 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Only because I'm forced into it.....like DVD's.......I never bought the Micro........and the cell phone........I wanted to fit in......I was feeling left out... sad
I wanted to be special too.........

but honestly I'm happy without all the stuff....though I do say that I just love the newer technologies........I love my cell phone it takes pics and movies, and records.........it is the coolest thing ever........It's my favorite toy.....If only I knew how to work it....

What the hell...every sentence ends with a contradiction to how it started out...do you even know what you type?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:13 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Re: Novelty and materialism

I'm sure you've all seen flashy advertising and marketing like the above.

Not a response about novelty, but I think the worst kind of marketing is not like the example listed above. It's the one that patronizes the consumer. (Internet banners, like the ones that tell you to get your living room ready for a free plasma TV just for identifying what Jessica Simpson's ass looks like, are prime candidates)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:14 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by botankus
Not a response about novelty, but I think the worst kind of marketing is not like the example listed above. It's the one that patronizes the consumer. (Internet banners, like the ones that tell you to get your living room ready for a free plasma TV just for identifying what Jessica Simpson's ass looks like, are prime candidates)

Actually I think whoever believes that shit deserves all they don't get...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:15 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Re: Re: Novelty and materialism

Originally posted by botankus
(Internet banners, like the ones that tell you to get your living room ready for a free plasma TV just for identifying what Jessica Simpson's ass looks like, are prime candidates)

laughing
Yeah. Stuff like that almost helps me to understand why people wanna blow us up.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:26 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Originally posted by Bardock42
What the hell...every sentence ends with a contradiction to how it started out...do you even know what you type?

I think that's all of us on a cosmic level...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:28 PM
Wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send Wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by Wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Yeah it is......lol.............I don't need the stuff, but when I got my cell phone I loved it........but in reality I could do without........I don't go out and seek these things.....I would rather spend my money on experiences not material things.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:31 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Sometimes I get excited about a new concept used in a movie. Like, for instance, I was really pumped about Blair Witch Project and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut before they came out.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:33 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Re: Re: Re: Novelty and materialism

Originally posted by Mindship
laughing
Yeah. Stuff like that almost helps me to understand why people wanna blow us up.

laughing Good one! Or why the rest of the world who don't wanna blow up your country want to live there by all means.

I guess one should decide to either live in all of this or abandon the technological material world alltogether. It's difficult if your born into a system though and you wanna get out...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:34 PM
Wonderer

Yeah it is......lol.............I don't need the stuff, but when I got my cell phone I loved it........but in reality I could do without........I don't go out and seek these things.....I would rather spend my money on experiences not material things.

Yep, I'd rather go travel around the world.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 02:36 PM
The Omega
Z10N0101

Depends on what IS new…
Xbox 360 got me out of my seat (mostly because it was the only console to allow me to play Oblivion). New cell-phones don’t. I haven’t even figured out what the one I got last year all can do yet (I mean blue-tooth? What is it that that’s supposed to do?).

So I guess you can say, that if the “new thing” can better my life I MAY become interested. On the other hand… I might as well NOT… Just today I found a new version of a Latex-editor that can REALLY make scientific-article writing easier and I had a party… But my digi-cam died (drowned) last year in Thailand and I haven’t bought a new one yet…
So it all depends I think.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 11:19 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonderer

Originally posted by The Omega
Depends on what IS new…
Xbox 360 got me out of my seat (mostly because it was the only console to allow me to play Oblivion). New cell-phones don’t. I haven’t even figured out what the one I got last year all can do yet (I mean blue-tooth? What is it that that’s supposed to do?).

So I guess you can say, that if the “new thing” can better my life I MAY become interested. On the other hand… I might as well NOT… Just today I found a new version of a Latex-editor that can REALLY make scientific-article writing easier and I had a party… But my digi-cam died (drowned) last year in Thailand and I haven’t bought a new one yet…
So it all depends I think.

I don't think any new thing can better your life. No material thing can better your life, only you can beter your life with your spiritual growth. Happiness is something inside you and cannot be bought or induced by material.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2006 12:48 PM
Bardock42

I don't think any new thing can better your life. No material thing can better your life, only you can beter your life with your spiritual growth. Happiness is something inside you and cannot be bought or induced by material.

Aww, that's sad, new stuff can't make you happier....want a hug?

Old Post Jul 14th, 2006 01:29 PM
Wonderer

Originally posted by Bardock42
Aww, that's sad, new stuff can't make you happier....want a hug?

A hug is always welcome...I wouldn't mind, thanks. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 14th, 2006 01:37 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

A hug from Bardock would be classified as new stuff, so don't even think about it.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2006 01:37 PM