KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » He Does Not Only Hate Gays... Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Hates Black People Too!

He Does Not Only Hate Gays... Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Hates Black People Too!
Started by: Adam_PoE

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

He Does Not Only Hate Gays... Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Hates Black People Too!

quote:
"Massachusetts Governor Apologizes for 'Tar Baby' Comment

BOSTON, Massachusetts - Gov. Mitt Romney has apologized for referring to the troubled Big Dig construction project as a "tar baby" during a fundraiser with Iowa Republicans, saying he didn't know anyone would be offended by the term some consider a racial epithet.

In a speech Saturday, Romney, a Republican considering a run for president in 2008, acknowledged he took a big political risk in taking control of the project after a fatal tunnel ceiling collapse, but said inaction would have been even worse.

"The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that tar baby as I can," he told a crowd of about 100 supporters in Ames, Iowa.

Black leaders were outraged at his use of the term, which dates to the 19th century Uncle Remus stories, referring to a doll made of tar that traps Br'er Rabbit. It has come to be known as a way of describing a sticky mess, and has been used as a derogatory term for a black person.

"Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century," said Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

"He thinks he's presidential timber," Jones said. "But all he's shown us is arrogance."

Romney's spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, said the governor was describing "a sticky situation."

"He was unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended," Fehrnstrom said.

White House spokesman Tony Snow sparked similar criticism in May when he used the term in response to a question about government surveillance.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 01:56 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I don't think he meant it. I didn't even know "tar baby" was a racist term...

Is it like "ghetto" when all of sudden the NAACP thought the word "ghetto" was racist?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 01:58 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Draco69
I don't think he meant it. I didn't even know "tar baby" was a racist term...

Is it like "ghetto" when all of sudden the NAACP thought the word "ghetto" was racist?

I've seen people by offended by the word 'black'... erm

doesn't surprise me how pc the world is...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 02:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Give me a break...This is ridiculous...Does anyone actually believe he meant it as a racial slur?

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 02:08 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

The question everybody needs to ask is "Why would a public figure intentionally say something racist?" I've never heard of that term until I read the article. I guess in this world, ignorance of obscure(at least to me) racial slurs = bigotry. I only blame the Governor for ignorance of know every racial slur.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 02:33 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Tar baby's laughing

How old are these people?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 05:12 AM
Classic NES is currently offline Click here to Send Classic NES a Private Message Find more posts by Classic NES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Moreso than belittling Romney, this article shows how much political correctness has run amok.

I don't think he should have apologized, I think he should have pointed out how stupid political correctness is. Of course that would be political suicide, so of course he wouldn't do it. But it would be nice to see a politician with the balls to point out the idiocy of some people.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 05:35 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Maybe if the issue of racism became a serious subject instead of a taboo subject that is not discussed, there would be less problems.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 05:40 AM
Classic NES is currently offline Click here to Send Classic NES a Private Message Find more posts by Classic NES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Sure, but in the current climate it is sacrilegious to say anything about race, especially for a white guy.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 05:43 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Why does the "Black Community" go out of it's way to represent for all blacks, one small organization cannot represent an entire group of people, it's stupid.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 05:55 AM
cking
King of the muscle shirts

what a racist!!!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:08 AM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Originally posted by cking
what a racist!!!

Are you kidding me, he just said tar baby.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:14 AM
cking
King of the muscle shirts

I'm just pulling your leg. wink I don't care what the guy says as long he doesn't say anything to me.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:23 AM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NINJ4_BL4D3
Sly as a Snake

WTF??????!!!!!!!!!

join the ninjutsu club

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:26 AM
NINJ4_BL4D3 is currently offline Click here to Send NINJ4_BL4D3 a Private Message Find more posts by NINJ4_BL4D3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Yeah yeah racist racist racist.

Someone says they want their shead painted black and they're a racist these days. Just tune the politically correct dumbass liberals out.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:42 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Tar baby" was adopted as racist term in the same sense as "gay" was adopted by the GLC. "Tar baby" is defined as; "something from which it is nearly impossible to extricate oneself", which makes perfect sense in its application here.

Using it in the context these fingerpointers are using, he'd be saying; "The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that ****** as I can.", and apparently they're suggesting he referred to as a failed project as a black person, in a derogitory and malicious manner?

I smell bullshit.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:44 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Originally posted by KidRock
Yeah yeah racist racist racist.

Someone says they want their shead painted black and they're a racist these days. Just tune the politically correct dumbass liberals out.

He said tar baby's laughing

Is saying "Mudbutt" politically incorrect?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 06:44 AM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Give me a break...This is ridiculous...Does anyone actually believe he meant it as a racial slur?

A racial slur? Are you kidding? What other way is there to use the term "tar baby"? I grew up in a town where the side of the Dariy-O said "Nigg*r don't be here when the sun goes down"! Either you know the meaning of 'tar baby' or you don't! Otherwise, you wouldn'd use it to illustrate your feelings.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 09:46 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

The phrase itself seems very obscure, not just its apparent status as a racial slur, which would imply but not necessitate pre-existing knowledge of the derogatory connotations...

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 09:53 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The phrase itself seems very obscure, not just its apparent status as a racial slur, which would imply but not necessitate pre-existing knowledge of the derogatory connotations...

Well, here I am as a childof the south. I'm telling you that "tar baby" is no different than 'nigg*r' or 'darkie' or negroid on a birth certificate. Nigg*r, don't be here when the sun goes down.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 10:06 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote