KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Official: Neocons Swinging from Taliban Nuts

Official: Neocons Swinging from Taliban Nuts
Started by: PVS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Official: Neocons Swinging from Taliban Nuts

as our final show of no mercy for the terrorists who attacked the u.s.,
bill frist, senate majority leader, proposes allowing the taliban representation in the afghan government.

http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.p...istan_Frist.php

quote:
QALAT, Afghanistan U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said Monday that the Afghan guerrilla war can never be won militarily and called for efforts to bring the Taliban and their supporters into the Afghan government.

The Tennessee Republican said he had learned from briefings that Taliban fighters were too numerous and had too much popular support to be defeated by military means.

"You need to bring them into a more transparent type of government," Frist said during a brief visit to a U.S. and Romanian military base in the southern Taliban stronghold of Qalat. "And if that's accomplished we'll be successful."

Frist said asking the Taliban to join the government was a decision to be made by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican from Florida accompanying Frist, said negotiating with the Taliban was not "out of the question" but that fighters who refused to join the political process would have to be defeated.

"A political solution is how it's all going to be solved," he said.

In violence on Monday, a suicide bomber blew himself up next to a NATO convoy in the capital Kabul, wounding three soldiers and three civilians, while a roadside bomb in the eastern Paktia province killed three Afghan soldiers and wounded three others, officials said.

Afghanistan is being rocked by the worst outbreak of violence since the ouster of the Taliban regime in the U.S.-led invasion in 2001. Militants have increasingly resorted to suicide attacks and roadside bombs.

Frist, who said he would announce whether he would run for the U.S. presidency in about a month, said he had hoped that the United States would be able to withdraw its forces from Afghanistan soon. But the 20,000 U.S. troops are still needed to help the 37-country coalition deal with an intensifying Taliban insurgency.

"We're going to need to stay here a long time," Frist said.

The senator said he had been warned to expect attacks in Afghanistan to increase. There appears to be an "unlimited flow" of Afghans and foreigners, he said, "willing to pick up arms and integrate themselves with the Taliban."

He said the only way to win in places like Qalat is to "assimilate people who call themselves Taliban into a larger, more representative government."

"Approaching counterinsurgency by winning hearts and minds will ultimately be the answer," Frist said. "Military versus insurgency one-to-one doesn't sound like it can be won. It sounds to me ... that the Taliban is everywhere."

Frist and Martinez flew to this dust-blown mountain city 350 kilometers (220 miles) south of Kabul during a one-day stop in Afghanistan on a regional tour that includes stops in Pakistan and Iraq.

The pair had intended to visit a new US$6.5 million (€5.1 million) hospital in Qalat built by the United Arab Emirates, but a group of wounded Taliban fighters were recuperating there, including a midlevel commander, and U.S. commander Lt. Col. Kevin McGlaughlin canceled the visit because of security concerns.

The senators saw firsthand the legendary hostility to outsiders of tribal southern Afghanistan. As Frist's helicopter landed, children just outside the base threw stones. And the senator's first act on Forward Operating Base Lagman was to pin a purple heart on the base's medic, Capt. Jacqueline King of Tinton Falls, New Jersey, who had been badly burned in a June suicide bombing.

"It's rough," King, 42, told reporters and members of Frist's staff. "They're not exactly thrilled to see us here."

Soldiers based in Qalat have been hit by more than 100 roadside bombs since arriving in April, said Air Force Capt. Kevin Tuttle.

The troops here monitor the headquarters for a provincial reconstruction team that has been repairing roads, mentoring doctors at the new hospital and operating a trade school that teaches nursing, welding, auto repair and plumbing.

Frist also chatted with fellow Tennessee surgeon Lt. Col. Steve Jarrard, 46, of Johnson City, in the base hospital.

"I really hope we're doing the right thing over here," Jarrard said, the late afternoon sun burnishing the neighboring mountain peaks. "It's too expensive. I've seen too many guys on the operating table. I try to bring them through and I'm not always successful."

Three NATO-led troops received minor injuries in the suicide bombing in Kabul. Maj. Luke Knittig, a military spokesman, said he could not disclose the nationalities of the soldiers. The attack came two days after another suicide bomber killed 12 people and wounded more than 40 outside Afghanistan's Interior Ministry.

In the southern province of Helmand, clashes on Sunday left 10 people dead, including five civilians, said Ghulam Muhiddin, the governor's spokesman.

The civilians were killed when their vehicle hit a freshly planted mine on a road usually used by NATO and Afghan security forces in Helmand's Musa Qala district, Muhiddin said.

Suspected Taliban on a motorbike, meanwhile, killed two policemen in Gereshk district, he said. Separately, NATO-led troops killed three militants in Nawzad district.

ok all you neocon nutswinging apologists. lets hear you explain why this is a good idea. lets hear how its a good idea to torture iraqi insurgents while kissing the asses of the terrorists who attacked us on 911. please explain why this is a good idea.

congratulations on blindly supporting those who will eventually surrender, cut and run, not punish those responisble for the attacks on 9/11, let the terrorists win, and ultimately reward them.

Last edited by PVS on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 03:37 AM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 03:24 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Krieger

Yea, this totally represents all Conservatives right here.....I'm sorry but Conservatives don't "blindly" support their Leaders, anycraps, do you actually think Bush will let this happen? It won't, we will win there, maybe not immediately, but we will

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 04:15 AM
Mr Krieger is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Krieger a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Krieger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Official: Neocons Swinging from Taliban Nuts

quote: (post)
[i]Originally posted by PVS ok all you neocon nutswinging apologists. lets hear you explain why this is a good idea. [/B]

Because it provides a "legitimate" three-front war?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 04:51 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Yea, this totally represents all Conservatives right here.....I'm sorry but Conservatives don't "blindly" support their Leaders, anycraps, do you actually think Bush will let this happen? It won't, we will win there, maybe not immediately, but we will

not "all conservatives", just the ones they themselves have chosen to lead them.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 04:52 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Hmm.. correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Senates approval is in the toilet with Conservative voters. Hence all this "the democrats are going to take back congress" junk.

Actual conservatives really don't know where to turn. There really aren't any National figures representing real conservative values. The senate sure isn't. *cough*borders*cough* And the president is worse than many of the Dems when it comes to all the welfare crap.

A real conservative would take so much of the vote that it would make it look like Reagan barely won in '80. Alas, there is no such political creature right now.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 05:00 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

so you're not happy at at going to war with the taliban as it is...you're not happy with trying to give the taliban representation to try and see if they'll stop fighting (which everyone knows they wouldn't do anyway) and i'm guessing you wouldn't favour wiping them out by obliterating the entire country...and given that if we withdrew the troops then the taliban would seize power again and use afghanistan as a base for al-qaeda again...and we know what they would do then dont we?

so...solutions on a postcard to Mr GW Bush...c/o barney the dinosaur...numptyville USA,USA,USA,USA...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 11:02 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101
so you're not happy at at going to war with the taliban as it is.

option 1: produce a quote where i said we shouldnt be at war with the taliban

or

option 2: stfu and quit putting words in peoples mouths

Last edited by PVS on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 11:54 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by docb77
Actual conservatives really don't know where to turn. There really aren't any National figures representing real conservative values. The senate sure isn't. *cough*borders*cough* And the president is worse than many of the Dems when it comes to all the welfare crap.

A real conservative would take so much of the vote that it would make it look like Reagan barely won in '80. Alas, there is no such political creature right now.

Wow. With all the sources available in this age of the internet and 'instant' news, I wouldn't have thought it was possible that anyone could be so completely out-of-touch with the country they live in. That really is amazing.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 12:12 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wow. With all the sources available in this age of the internet and 'instant' news, I wouldn't have thought it was possible that anyone could be so completely out-of-touch with the country they live in. That really is amazing.

It's OK, I'm sure you aren't completely out of touch.

-edit-

by the way, I'm sure you knew that by real I meant an ideal conservative, not an extreme right winger.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 01:42 PM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Hahaha, nice way to slink out of that one!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 01:46 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

im sure it will get better.

however there are a couple of wingnuts at kmc who i presume will not
be so quick to polish the collective knob of the neocon agenda, and try to
rationalise this new turn in politics. i suspect a couple who seem to genuinly
give a shit about who attacked and how they are being appeased, however misguided they are, will be very pissed off when they read this. the rest are just cult followers who need a messiah to worship.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 01:58 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The sentiment is basically correct, to bring them into a peaceful political process. That would be the best way forwards.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:07 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
The sentiment is basically correct, to bring them into a peaceful political process. That would be the best way forwards.

the best way forward would be to allow them back in power? forgive me for saying, but wasnt such sensibility and tolerance for an intolerant and dangerous ideal what got us into this whole mess to begin with? seems like a giant step backward. remember, this is an ideal which promotes the destruction of all that is not fundamintal islamist...a group which has attacked and killed innocents, as well as being directly responsible for the attacks on 9-11. how can it be blindly assumed that peace will ensue? and does this not completely discredit the revamped reason for us occupying iraq?

Last edited by PVS on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 02:13 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:11 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'm afraid history shows that it IS the best way to deal with such a thing. Bring in the democratic process and use that to defeat the fundamental arms, which do much better when excluded from Democracy.

This is how peace has been achieved in Northern Ireland. And it is how it will have to work in Iraq, too.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:15 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

"To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed."

- Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell.

I used this quote in a different thread recently, but poor ol' Ush didn't get it then. Let's see if he can apply it correctly now...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:18 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Gosh, I almost care about your erroneous interpretation of literature... but no, it's too irrelevant to really register on my radar.

Fact remains, this would be the best way on. You cannot eliminate something ike this militarily unless you want to go to PROPER war, by which I mean World War II scale war, not tinkering around like we do (very rightly) these days. And the enormous destruction and destablisation that would be caused by such a war would far outweight any possible benefits.

Nope, it has to be done like this.

Though they are right, it is Karzai's call.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 02:25 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:21 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm afraid history shows that it IS the best way to deal with such a thing. Bring in the democratic process and use that to defeat the fundamental arms, which do much better when excluded from Democracy.

their version of 'democracy' is not the same as ours. for historical reference, see the iraqi elections which expressed 100% support for saddam hussein. the taliban rule by fear and so long as they are allowed to exist and intimidate, they will gain power once again. through a coup or through 'democratic' means, they have the advantage of fear.

iraq will be ruled by a fundamentalist and militant islamic regime. that will be the end. we will have two states which present a direct threat to our security, and in the end all we managed to do was destroy our own ideal of freedom. i guess it wont be clear until we are attacked again. and we will be, make no mistake.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of course it isn't the same as ours! Afghanistan has been everyone's playtoy for centuries. They don't know anything other than violent rule.

Democracy there is going to be crap for ages. But it will eb better than it was before, and it will get better as time goes by.

And I very much doubt Iraq will become ruled by true fundamentalists. That is not actually very common in the Middle East; the main enemy of most fundamentalists is the Government of the country they are in. The Taliban was a notable exception; that's Afghanistan for you.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:24 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course it isn't the same as ours! Afghanistan has been everyone's playtoy for centuries. They don't know anything other than violent rule.

Democracy there is going to be crap for ages. But it will eb better than it was before, and it will get better as time goes by.

you suggest that democracy will remain a constant, however being pathetic and weak. i suggest that once they are allowed to exist (taliban) democracy will no longer exist. history will be repeated and we will be attacked again. that is what history tells us of the taliban.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:30 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

A Democracy can be protected. The only way for the Taliban to remove Democracy is if they attack it, and I don't see why that is more likely if they are invited to join in the democratic process.

It's not as if this is handing them back all they want. The Taliban were not a populist movement; they seized power by military means. They don't WANT to be in a Democracy because they know they'll never get the power they had when they ruled by force. They are extremists and they are totalitarian. This is absolutely not what they want.

But it would be a fair and helpful offer. It hardly helps their position with the people if they turn it down, and if they accept, it begins a long and painfully difficult transition that nonetheless will eventually bear fruit.

Any Democracies that arise in the Middle-East may well be anti-US. But so what? What are you going to do, force them to like you at gunpoint? But that's a long way from them being the kind of places that breed terrorism. The US has Governments that are hostile to it all over the World, but only a select few rule in a way that encourages their populace to attack the US the way they have.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 02:35 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 02:32 PM