KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Science told: hands off gay sheep!

Science told: hands off gay sheep!
Started by: PVS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Science told: hands off gay sheep!

quote:
Science told: hands off gay sheep

Isabel Oakeshott and Chris Gourlay

Experiments that claim to ‘cure’ homosexual rams spark anger
SCIENTISTS are conducting experiments to change the sexuality of “gay” sheep in a programme that critics fear could pave the way for breeding out homosexuality in humans.

The technique being developed by American researchers adjusts the hormonal balance in the brains of homosexual rams so that they are more inclined to mate with ewes.

It raises the prospect that pregnant women could one day be offered a treatment to reduce or eliminate the chance that their offspring will be homosexual. Experts say that, in theory, the “straightening” procedure on humans could be as simple as a hormone supplement for mothers-to-be, worn on the skin like an anti-smoking nicotine patch.

The research, at Oregon State University in the city of Corvallis and at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, has caused an outcry. Martina Navratilova, the lesbian tennis player who won Wimbledon nine times, and scientists and gay rights campaigners in Britain have called for the project to be abandoned.

Navratilova defended the “right” of sheep to be gay. She said: “How can it be that in the year 2006 a major university would host such homophobic and cruel experiments?” She said gay men and lesbians would be “deeply offended” by the social implications of the tests.

But the researchers argue that the work is valid, shedding light on the “broad question” of what determines sexual orientation. They insist the work is not aimed at “curing” homosexuality.

Approximately one ram in 10 prefers to mount other rams rather than mate with ewes, reducing its value to a farmer. Initially, the publicly funded project aimed to improve the productivity of herds.

The scientists have been able to pinpoint the mechanisms influencing the desires of “male-oriented” rams by studying their brains. The animals’ skulls are cut open and electronic sensors are attached to their brains.

By varying the hormone levels, mainly by injecting hormones into the brain, they have had “considerable success” in altering the rams’ sexuality, with some previously gay animals becoming attracted to ewes.

Professor Charles Roselli, the Health and Science University biologist leading the research, defended the project.

He said: “In general, sexuality has been under-studied because of political concerns. People don’t want science looking into what determines sexuality.

“It’s a touchy issue. In fact, several studies have shown that people who believe homosexuality is biologically based are less homophobic than people who think that this orientation is acquired.”

The research is being peer-reviewed by a panel of scientists in America, demonstrating that it is being taken seriously by the academic community.

Potentially, the techniques could one day be adapted for human use, with doctors perhaps being able to offer parents pre-natal tests to determine the likely sexuality of offspring or a hormonal treatment to change the orientation of a child.

Roselli has said he would be “uncomfortable” about parents choosing sexuality, but argues that it is up to policy makers to legislate on questions of ethics.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...24408%2C00.html

this is so xmen3

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 05:50 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Thats hilarious, the anit-gay patch.

I thought the nicotene patch had it's glory!

Either way it's interesting.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:34 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

"Approximately one ram in 10 prefers to mount other rams"... Damn, sheep are seriously gay, then again, is 10% of the human pop. homosexual?

I find it funny that this in a sense, will unit both the Gay and Religious communities as they will both see it as an attack.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah, its bad news for everyone.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:40 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

The cure for aids just took a back seat!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 06:46 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Soleran
The cure for aids just took a back seat!

Nah the government will see it as a from of AIDS prevention.

In their minds No Gays = No Aids ,

Of course knowing the various governments they'll equate this idea onto African Americans and well....

Let's just say the world would become a helluva lot whiter whether you want it to or not

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:28 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PVS
this is so xmen3

Yeah, except homosexuals don't have superpowers they use to attack people.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:30 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by FeceMan

Debatable , the occasional campness they go into certainly feels like an attack on my patience and tolerance.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:32 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

...not yet

but i heard at stormfront that they're working on a giant gay emmiter cannon which will infect all who oppose teh ghey agenda and turn then into teh gheys. wait, thats the first xmen...

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:34 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by PVS
...not yet

but i heard at stormfront that they're working on a giant gay emmiter cannon which will infect all who oppose teh ghey agenda and turn then into teh gheys. wait, thats the first xmen...

What about the secret facility where they kidnap the geys and make them kill every gay on the planet. Oh snap that was X-2.

Shite.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 07:39 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by PVS
yeah, its bad news for everyone.

Another funny note, I wonder how many pro-choice (abortion) people will be appalled at this. It's the mothers choice if she wants to kill her fetus, but it isn't her choice if she wants to potentially alter it's make-up... Pure lunacy.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 08:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by grey fox
Nah the government will see it as a from of AIDS prevention.

In their minds No Gays = No Aids ,

Of course knowing the various governments they'll equate this idea onto African Americans and well....

Let's just say the world would become a helluva lot whiter whether you want it to or not

Be careful, you're sounding like FistOFTheNorth with the "government hates blacks" angle.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 08:40 PM
Soleran
Fast As Time

Soon having a child will be like bugerking where you get it made to order your way, awesomeness.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 08:44 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Robtard
Be careful, you're sounding like FistOFTheNorth with the "government hates blacks" angle.

Aha , my secret is revealed ...

I am Fistofthenorth *Tears at face revealing.....Nothing*

...or maybe not

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 09:20 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Hmmm If you can cure homosexuality, then it must not be a choice.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 09:33 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Rub it in why don't you?

Originally posted by Robtard
I find it funny that this in a sense, will unit both the Gay and Religious communities as they will both see it as an attack.

I seriously doubt that.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 10:15 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sancty
-

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I seriously doubt that.

I think some parts of either will see it as one.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 10:16 PM
Sancty is currently offline Click here to Send Sancty a Private Message Find more posts by Sancty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sanctuary
I think some parts of either will see it as one.

How do you figure?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 10:19 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sancty
-

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
How do you figure?

Talked to a gay guy who did find it offensive.

And some religious people usually take something as attack.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 10:21 PM
Sancty is currently offline Click here to Send Sancty a Private Message Find more posts by Sancty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You poor, ignorant soul.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2007 10:21 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote