KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How morally wrong is it to fillet a fish alive?

How morally wrong is it to fillet a fish alive?
Started by: FeceMan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

How morally wrong is it to fillet a fish alive?

I was thinking about this today. A couple years ago, my youth group and I were staying at a cottage for the weekend, and we went fishing for dinner. Upon returning, we were to prepare the fish--and I was appalled that they began filleting the fish alive.

One of the adults even remarked, "When I do this with bigger fish like salmon, they're usually still alive even after I've done the other side."

I, in my infinite kindness, began to show mercy to the fish by stabbing them in their brains.

So, I'm just wondering--how wrong is it to fillet a fish while it lives? To me, it's pretty damn morally wrong.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 03:54 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Pretty damn wrong. Leave it out of water for a few minutes, it'll be dead soon enough.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 03:55 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FeceMan
I was thinking about this today. A couple years ago, my youth group and I were staying at a cottage for the weekend, and we went fishing for dinner. Upon returning, we were to prepare the fish--and I was appalled that they began filleting the fish alive.

One of the adults even remarked, "When I do this with bigger fish like salmon, they're usually still alive even after I've done the other side."

I, in my infinite kindness, began to show mercy to the fish by stabbing them in their brains.

So, I'm just wondering--how wrong is it to fillet a fish while it lives? To me, it's pretty damn morally wrong.

Um duh fish feel pain. PETA already acknowledges this, you're going to burn in non vegetarian.

I hope you like the thought of being filleted!

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 03:56 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NinthCorona

Originally posted by Cory Chaos
Pretty damn wrong. Leave it out of water for a few minutes, it'll be dead soon enough.
Akin to drowning someone.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 03:56 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Soleran
you're going to burn in non vegetarian.

What?
quote:
I hope you like the thought of being filleted!

What?

And what's so humane about letting a fish suffocate?

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 04:28 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
J-Beowulf

I usually just give em a good smack on the head with a wooden mallet. Quick and painless, and then you're free to fillet!

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 04:38 AM
J-Beowulf is currently offline Click here to Send J-Beowulf a Private Message Find more posts by J-Beowulf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I think it's flat out rude to fillet a fish while it's still alive.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 04:45 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

larger predatorial fish are very intelligent and i would image can suffer. you might do better to just sever the spinal column....less brutal that way.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 06:38 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I think it's flat out rude to fillet a fish while it's still alive.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 07:39 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I don't think it's something that you would go to hell for, but why somebody wouldn't just kill the fish first is beyond me....

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 08:44 AM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Assuming there is something as morally wrong. Assuming fileting a fish alive is morally wrong. I'd say "5"....at least.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 08:50 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think fishing alone is morally wrong. Dragging a living thing out of its environment using a hook from its mouth, what's humane about that?

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 09:32 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

Must be pretty damn awkward to fillet a live fish, why not just hit it on the head a few times with your trusty mallet? big grin

To answer the question I wouldn't say its any more less moral than catching the fish in the first place with the intention to keep it/eat it.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 10:04 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: How morally wrong is it to fillet a fish alive?

Originally posted by FeceMan

Depends. If the guy throws the fish on the grill enjoying to see the fish writhe -- then I'd say yeah, it's morally wrong.

If the guy just throws the fish on the grill cause he's concerned about feeding his 3 starving kids right away - then no.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 11:43 AM
Thundar is currently offline Click here to Send Thundar a Private Message Find more posts by Thundar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I don't eat any kind of seafood and I think that to fish and to hunt is wrong but that is me.I do eat some meat btw!Anyway no I don't think it is morally wrong to do thta to a fish.
I disargee with skining but that is just me.There is alot more stuff morally wrong then something as little as that.jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 12:13 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

How alive are you talking here? Because its pretty difficult to fillet a fish if its alive and moving no expression

Anyways, I don't see a point in keeping it alive while you do it, it makes it more difficult and results in fillets that are sub par and filled with bones.

In terms of morality, I think there is something wrong with it. It seems kinda cruel IMO.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 07:11 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
{{QS}}
Used to be quickshot

FeceMan don't stab it that causes way more pain, less than filleting but a lot more than just a quick smack on the head, it smashes the brain against the skull killing it instantly.Can't really see the purpose of filleting it alive it'd make your fillets poor quality and its not much effort to kill it beforehand

Free to wreak havoc

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 08:01 PM
{{QS}} is currently offline Click here to Send {{QS}} a Private Message Find more posts by {{QS}} Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Heaven's Sword
"Life is a game"

Originally posted by J-Beowulf
I usually just give em a good smack on the head with a wooden mallet. Quick and painless, and then you're free to fillet!

That's what I always do, too.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2007 09:58 PM
Heaven's Sword is currently offline Click here to Send Heaven's Sword a Private Message Find more posts by Heaven's Sword Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Kiling a fish is mean and making it suffer while doing that is just pure evil.jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2007 02:16 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by {{QS}}
FeceMan don't stab it that causes way more pain, less than filleting but a lot more than just a quick smack on the head, it smashes the brain against the skull killing it instantly.Can't really see the purpose of filleting it alive it'd make your fillets poor quality and its not much effort to kill it beforehand

Oops.

Well, my heart was in the right place...why does it cause more pain?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2007 03:01 AM