KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Bush Embarrases Himself in Front of England.

Bush Embarrases Himself in Front of England.
Started by: Spidervlad

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Bush Embarrases Himself in Front of England.

WASHINGTON: Presidents come and go, but for more than half a century, the queen has always been the queen.

So it was perhaps no surprise that Washington went a little gaga Monday, as Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, began an official two-day visit to the U.S. capital.

Across the Atlantic, Helen Mirren, who won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Elizabeth in "The Queen," shocked the British conscience over the weekend by turning down an invitation to dine at Buckingham Palace.

But on the other side of the Atlantic, the queen was making Americans go weak in the knees.

The White House was decorated to perfection for an exclusive white-tie dinner on Monday evening, with President George W. Bush and the first lady, Laura Bush, playing host to the royal couple and 130 other A-list guests. But the morning was reserved for the masses - or, at least, the masses with the kind of connections that warrant an invitation to the formal arrival ceremony on the South Lawn.

Lucky ticket-holders - more than 7,000 of them - began lining up at 7 a.m. to get in: women in fine hats carrying floral bouquets, little girls in chiffon dresses, boys and men in their best suits, toting cameras and craning their necks for a glimpse of what one called "the real deal."

Joy Green, whose daughter had tickets by virtue of her job at the Justice Department, flew in from Selma, Alabama, for the occasion. "I think we love it that they have a queen," she said, explaining the American fascination, "and we're glad that we don't."

At 10:56 a.m., six minutes past schedule, she arrived, a small woman in a black and white hat, white gloves, a white jacket and black skirt. Drums rolled and trumpets blared. There was a gasp in the crowd, and a squeal: "I see her! I see the queen!"

It was a day for pomp and circumstance - a military color guard, a fife and drum band in white wigs, red jackets and tri-cornered hats - punctuated by a presidential slip of the tongue that lightened the moment during Bush's welcoming remarks. Bush reminded the 81-year-old queen that she had already dined with 10 American presidents.

"You helped our nation celebrate its bicentennial in 17- " he went on, stopping to correct himself before 1776 could slip out. The crowd erupted in laughter, and the president and the queen turned to each other for a long, silent gaze. Then, Bush turned back to the crowd with an explanation.

"She gave me a look," he said, "that only a mother could give a child."

Bush had been the recipient of such a look once before in the queen's presence - from his own mother, back in 1991, when the first President Bush and his wife played host to their own state dinner for the queen. By several different accounts, Barbara Bush told the queen that she had seated her son far away from Her Majesty, for fear he might make a wisecrack.

Then, to his mother's horror, he did, telling the queen that he was his family's black sheep and asking, "Who's yours?"

The queen, apparently not amused, replied tartly, "None of your business."

If the queen was not amused Monday, she did not show it. "I'm sure she accepted it for what it was - a slip of the tongue," said her press secretary, Penny Russell-Smith.

I saw the video, and Queen Elizabeth II took it really seriously. In fact, she seemed to be highly distrubed when he said that she gave him a look that only a mother can give a child... Really, Bush blew this one bad time, and it looks like he needs to either learn some more manners, or learn some more history.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:01 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Whup-Dee-Daa... Surely there are greater things (Iraq, economy, world relations etc. etc. etc.) to bash Bush on than this nonsense.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on May 9th, 2007 at 09:06 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:04 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

The guy doesn't have manners he isn't use to things like this. And I really can't blame him. I think he did his best but he just is who he is, it's not that big a deal and people should just go on with their lives.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:06 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's been an embarrassment for the last 7 years. Why should this state dinner be any different?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
J-Beowulf

In other news, President Bush isn't a good public speaker.

Oh wait...

Anyway, what's the major significance? Was his comment seen as idiotic, or what? I don't quite get it.

J-Beowulf is currently offline Click here to Send J-Beowulf a Private Message Find more posts by J-Beowulf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

The guy is mentally retarded, can you really blame him?

Burn Baby, BURN!!!My Sig Artwork

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:07 PM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Starhawk
The guy is mentally retarded, can you really blame him?

Hypocrite, the guy can bullsh!t, dodge and spin a whole lot better than you...

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:10 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hahahah, that guy might just be the most talented comical genius ever.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:16 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"The queen, apparently not amused, replied tartly, "None of your business.""

I'm not convinced tha is true.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:20 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Devil King
He's been an embarrassment for the last 7 years. Why should this state dinner be any different?
Psst...has anybody heard the new rumor? The reason the gas prices are so high is because he and his dad own gas/oil companies and want to make a few billion before his terms up.

OK, back on topic.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:20 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak
"The queen, apparently not amused, replied tartly, "None of your business.""

I'm not convinced tha is true.

But if it is it would be hilarious as well.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:22 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Hypocrite, the guy can bullsh!t, dodge and spin a whole lot better than you...

More childish insults....

And he is such a pathetic public speaker that we actually developed a term for his oratory blunders. "Bushisims" LOL

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:23 PM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

Really, a President shouldn't make retarded mistakes like that. Especially when addresing the queen, I mean now the Queen is going to think of him as a much bigger idiot then she already thought he was.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:27 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Spidervlad
Really, a President shouldn't make retarded mistakes like that. Especially when addresing the queen, I mean now the Queen is going to think of him as a much bigger idiot then she already thought he was.

And she might use all her power to....bwahahahahahahahha

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:28 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

This was news yesterday. He almost said 1776 but corrected himself by saying 1976.

OMFG TEH STUFF

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:29 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Starhawk
More childish insults....

And he is such a pathetic public speaker that we actually developed a term for his oratory blunders. "Bushisims" LOL

What I said was true, no?

Yes, he is a poor public speaker.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:30 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oddly enough, I heard the term "[name]-isms" a long time before President Bush became president.

Hmmm.

*Scratches his head.*

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:32 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Originally posted by FeceMan
Oddly enough, I heard the term "[name]-isms" a long time before President Bush became president.

Hmmm.

*Scratches his head.*

That's because everybody makes stupid mistakes, it's just more fun to look at Bush his mistakes and laugh, especially when they completely unimportant and small like this one smile

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:35 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, I've heard the term used in neutral manner, more describing specific phrases or manners of speaking...but OMFG HE ALMOST SED 1776!!!11!!1!

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:38 PM
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

He makes allot of them. At Chapters they sell a day calender full of them. I almost feel sorry for him, he's going to be remembered int he history book as the worst lame duck president in the history of the US.

Old Post May 9th, 2007 09:38 PM