KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Military Regimes: what makes a true democracy?

Military Regimes: what makes a true democracy?
Started by: Czarina_Czarina

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Military Regimes: what makes a true democracy?

In light of what's going on in Burma, wanted to ask about the different countries going thru their battle for democracy.

If you would like, try to name countries that are under a military regime (past regimes areok too, esp. as a great model for those who want to discuss the different tactics that brought the ex-military gov't into democracy).

What does democracy mean to you? Are we in a true democracy (I know the answer, but just asking anyway)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWz...ted&search=

http://www.casahistoria.net/militarydictatorship.htm

Old Post Sep 28th, 2007 03:06 AM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

The only true democracy is the one that is free of mind-slavery caused by energy conduits and walk-ins.

I have a dream...that, one day, all indigo children will be freed from the shackles that bind them, the chains that weigh them down.

I have a dream...that, one day, all indigo children will no longer suffer the burden of walk-ins.

I have a dream...that, one day, all indigo children will be accepted for what they are, that the world will see their uniqueness for the blessing that it is.

I have a dream...that, one day, all men, women, and indigo children will truly be equal.

God bless America.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2007 07:17 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

See, this is something I've debated in the history forum. If a military regime can make a great society. Then by all means Oliver Cromwell was a brilliant politician. If it takes a Coup d'état to transform an already failing system of government into a prosperous future state then how can it be wrong?

A Coup d'état does not always translate into a negative. Hence why I brought up Cromwell. A military intervention may not be seen as an extreme measure...but rather a necessary event.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2007 08:52 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
See, this is something I've debated in the history forum. If a military regime can make a great society. Then by all means Oliver Cromwell was a brilliant politician. If it takes a Coup d'état to transform an already failing system of government into a prosperous future state then how can it be wrong?

A Coup d'état does not always translate into a negative. Hence why I brought up Cromwell. A military intervention may not be seen as an extreme measure...but rather a necessary event.

It can be, the problem with any military intervention however is the lack of power that lies with the people after that. Often a times when a government is overrun by the military they will keep control and do everything to keep it like in Myanmar/Burma at this moment. Sometimes it turns out right, sometimes country's prosper. But that is only because democracy itself is a worthless system.

The only benefit is that rulers that would kill their own people can't stay in office long. The downside is of course that every so many years people have to fight to be elected into office and that means no real important controversial decisions can be made because it will cost you votes.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Oct 6th, 2007 01:15 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 11:47 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote