KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)

Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)
Started by: chithappens

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chithappens

Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)

Does it really have a purpose? I have never been an advocate of the electoral college. This only got stronger after Bush lost the popular vote twice and still got in office.

I have a few ideas of what to keep it and a bunch of why to drop it, but I want to know what you all think.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:13 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I'm not a big supporter of the American voting system (as many here know) However the electoral college over represents mid level and smaller states this way candidates almost always have to take their specific needs into account.

I don't consider it's the best system but I think a system in which the president is elected by popular vote only would decrease the power of the small and mid level states too much.

I could be wrong but I thought Bush won the popular vote in his second election.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:19 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fire
I'm not a big supporter of the American voting system (as many here know) However the electoral college over represents mid level and smaller states this way candidates almost always have to take their specific needs into account.

I don't consider it's the best system but I think a system in which the president is elected by popular vote only would decrease the power of the small and mid level states too much.

I could be wrong but I thought Bush won the popular vote in his second election.
Well, here's the other thing. In 2004 there was many complaints about votes being missed for Kerry and votes being added for Bush in virtually every state. The government admitted the tallies are unreliable and a few missed votes can is likely, but all of them giving Bush an advantage and the fact that before the elcetion they got in new more unreliable machines is very suspicious.

Anyway, "Electroal College really blows." -- Al Gore

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:27 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Originally posted by lord xyz
Well, here's the other thing. In 2004 there was many complaints about votes being missed for Kerry and votes being added for Bush in virtually every state. The government admitted the tallies are unreliable and a few missed votes can is likely, but all of them giving Bush an advantage and the fact that before the elcetion they got in new more unreliable machines is very suspicious.

Anyway, "Electroal College really blows." -- Al Gore

I'm not saying the system isn't faulty or 'abused' by some, but that doesn't mean the idea behind it is bad.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:29 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not saying the system isn't faulty or 'abused' by some, but that doesn't mean the idea behind it is bad.
Yeah. I still have strong dislike for their democratic system.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:37 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

I find it ironic how voting is literally one of the most fundamental parts of a democracy and we still manage to **** it up.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 12:26 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)

Originally posted by chithappens
Does it really have a purpose? I have never been an advocate of the electoral college. This only got stronger after Bush lost the popular vote twice and still got in office.

I have a few ideas of what to keep it and a bunch of why to drop it, but I want to know what you all think.

You should ask Hillary Clinton. She swore several years ago to lead the charge to get rid of it, after the 2000 election if I recall correctly. We still have it, though, don't we?

This is why she's leading in the polls. Because she's willing to say anything that incites one half over the other.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 12:41 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chickenlover98
Loving Chickens

its pointlesss. let the people decide. and i say george bush should fight in iraq i do nt give a flying **** how old he is, time for george to see some war. lets let him stay in office to. see how long he lasts in the fronlines. texan dumass piece of shit. (i just hate him, not all southerners are retarded)

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 05:46 AM
chickenlover98 is currently offline Click here to Send chickenlover98 a Private Message Find more posts by chickenlover98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Re: Re: Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)

Originally posted by Devil King

This is why she's leading in the polls. Because she's willing to say anything that incites one half over the other.

What's another example of her doing this? I'm just curious because I really do not know her politics at all.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 07:39 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Electoral College: Do We Need It? (U.S. National)

Originally posted by chithappens
What's another example of her doing this? I'm just curious because I really do not know her politics at all.

Without sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about, pretty much 90% of what she says.

That's not to say that a lot of what she says isn't right. She's just better at the game than most.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 08:44 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

What do you think of her health plan for kids

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 11:55 PM
Naz
Super Senior Member

I'd much rather we just had popular vote.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 12:06 AM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chickenlover98
Loving Chickens

agreed

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 12:58 AM
chickenlover98 is currently offline Click here to Send chickenlover98 a Private Message Find more posts by chickenlover98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Naz
I'd much rather we just had popular vote.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 01:07 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

But is that really the only way to make candidates to takes smaller states into account? I considered this but it does seem they would need to cater to those voters regardless for just total number.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:30 PM
Fire

Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. You have some states with a very LOW amount of people living in it.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:44 PM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I don't have a problem with the electoral college unless it defies the popular vote (as it did in 2000, and two times previously). Most people don't even know that it exists.

I think that there are problems with both the current system, as well as the idea of a national popular vote. Mostly in terms that it's unfair to the smaller states.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:44 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

I'm not sure it makes a difference. The states are still going to hardly be represented.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:50 PM
Fire

True, but you will still have an overpresentation of smaller states which a popular vote will de facto not provide.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:51 PM
chithappens

I suppose so but the bigger states have too much. Isn't Cali 50 points? I'm guessing, I really can't remember.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:57 PM