KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Turkey Threatens Repercussions For U.S.

Turkey Threatens Repercussions For U.S.
Started by: Healing Artisan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Turkey Threatens Repercussions For U.S.

quote:

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey, which is a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington on Thursday and warned of serious repercussions if Congress labels the killing of Armenians by Turks a century ago as genocide.

Ordered after a House committee endorsed the genocide measure, the summons of the ambassador for consultations was a further sign of the deteriorating relations between two longtime allies and the potential for new turmoil in an already troubled region.

Egeman Bagis, an aide to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, told Turkish media that Turkey — a conduit for many of the supplies shipped to American bases in both Iraq and Afghanistan — might have to "cut logistical support to the U.S."

Analysts also have speculated the resolution could make Turkey more inclined to send troops into northern Iraq to hunt Turkish Kurd rebels, a move opposed by the U.S. because it would disrupt one of the few relatively stable and peaceful Iraqi areas.

"There are steps that we will take," Turkey's prime minister told reporters, but without elaboration. It also wasn't clear if he meant his government would act immediately or wait to see what happens to the resolution in Congress.

He declined to answer questions about whether Turkey might shut down Incirlik air base in southern Turkey, a major cargo hub for U.S. and allied military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Turkey's Mediterranean port of Iskenderun is also used to ferry goods to American troops.

"You don't talk about such things, you just do them," Erdogan said.

The measure before Congress is just a nonbinding resolution without the force of law, but the debate has incensed Turkey's government.

The relationship between the two NATO allies, whose troops fought together in the Korean War in 1950-53, have stumbled in the past. They hit a low in 2003, when Turkey's parliament refused to allow U.S. forces use their country as a staging ground for the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

But while the threat of repercussions against the U.S. is appealing for many Turks, the country's leaders know such a move could hurt Turkey's standing as a reliable ally of the West and its ambitions to be a mediator on the international stage.

The Turks did suspend military ties with France last year after parliament's lower house approved a bill that would have made it a crime to deny the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey amounted to genocide. But Turkey has much more to lose from cutting ties to the U.S.

The United States is one of its major business partners, with $11 billion in trade last year, and the U.S. defense industry provides much of the Turkish military's equipment.

Turkey's ambassador in Washington, Nabi Sensoy, was ordered home for discussions with the Turkish leadership about what is happening in Congress, Foreign Minister spokesman Levent Bilman said. He said Sensoy would go back after seven to 10 days.

"We are not withdrawing our ambassador. We have asked him to come to Turkey for some consultations," Bilman said. "The ambassador was given instructions to return and will come at his earliest convenience."

The Bush administration, which is lobbying strongly in hopes of persuading Congress to reject the resolution, stressed the need for good relations with Turkey.

"We look forward to his quick return and will continue to work to maintain strong U.S.-Turkish relations," said Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council. "We remain opposed to House Resolution 106 because of the grave harm it could bring to the national security of the United States."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the measure is damaging relations at a time when U.S. forces in Iraq rely heavily on Turkish permission to use their airspace for cargo flights.

About 70 percent of U.S. air cargo headed for Iraq goes through Turkey as does about one-third of the fuel used by the U.S. military there. U.S. bases also get water and other supplies carried in overland by Turkish truckers who cross into Iraq's northern Kurdish region.

In addition, C-17 cargo planes fly military supplies to U.S. soldiers in remote areas of Iraq from Incirlik, avoiding the use of Iraqi roads vulnerable to bomb attacks. U.S. officials say the arrangement helps reduce American casualties.

U.S.-Turkish ties already had been strained by Turkey's complaint the U.S. hasn't done enough to stop Turkish Kurd rebels from using bases in northern Iraq to stage attacks in southeastern Turkey, a predominantly Kurdish region where tens of thousands have died in fighting since 1984.

Turkish warplanes and helicopter gunships attacked suspected positions of Kurdish rebels on the border this week and Turkey's parliament was expected to vote next week on a proposal to allow the military to pursue a large-scale offensive in northern Iraq.

The U.S. ambassador to Turkey, Ross Wilson, was invited to the Foreign Ministry, where officials conveyed their "unease" over the resolution in Congress and asked the Bush administration do all in its power to stop passage by the full House, a Foreign Ministry official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make press statements.

Historians estimate up to 1.5 million Armenians were killed by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I. Turkey denies the deaths constituted genocide, saying the killings didn't come from a coordinated campaign but rather during unrest accompanying the Ottoman Empire's collapse.

The House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the resolution Wednesday despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and the opposition from President Bush. The vote was a triumph for well-organized Armenian-American interest groups that have lobbied Congress for decades to pass a resolution.

The administration will now try to pressure Democratic leaders in Congress not to schedule a vote, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated they were committed to going forward.

"Why do it now? Because there's never a good time and all of us in the Democratic leadership have supported" it, she said.

Turkish officials said the House had no business to get involved in writing history.

"It is not possible to accept such an accusation of a crime which was never committed by the Turkish nation," Turkey's government said after the committee adopted the measure.

quote:
source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_mi_ea/turkey_us_genocide

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 03:53 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Turkey is really gonna scare the US isnīt it.

The odd thing is the US ancestors killed over 60 million native US Indians, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 08:08 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok

The odd thing is the US ancestors killed over 60 million native US Indians, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

What I can't ****ing understand is why the hell did the US decide to do this now. Its not like they haven't ****ed up things enough as it is. Obvoulsy Turkey isnt as powerful as the US but from my understanding they could give the US grief.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 09:42 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Quite embarrassing for Turkey. Every reasonable person and anyone with any basic knowledge of history knows genocide occurred. Their continued refusal to acknowledge it is pathetic and cowardly.

It's lose/lose for them, I guess. Admit they killed a million+ people in an act of barbaric genocide, or go on lying and looking desperate and foolish in the face of mounds and mounds of evidence that it did actually happen.

Hell, it's even taught as "The Armenian Genocide" in History classes.

As for their threats, it reminds me of what a spoiled child may say - "Do what I say or I'm going to hold my breath!!!!"

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 10:11 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

edit

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 10:23 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Alfheim
What I can't ****ing understand is why the hell did the US decide to do this now. Its not like they haven't ****ed up things enough as it is. Obvoulsy Turkey isnt as powerful as the US but from my understanding they could give the US grief.

I don;t think its about being 'powerful' in size. IF hypothetically speaking, USA is to go against Turkey, I think it will have far more on its back, than just Turkey.

Yes, but USA has been doing that for a while, and to a lot of other countries.

Back on topic - everyone knows Turkey committed genocide, just like everyone knows that Turkey invaded Cyprus and called it ''Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus''.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 10:41 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I don;t think its about being 'powerful' in size. IF hypothetically speaking, USA is to go against Turkey, I think it will have far more on its back, than just Turkey.

Yeah...but why are they doing this **** now?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 10:55 AM
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Spreading of diseases such as smallpox and the flu killed 80-90% of the Native American populations. That's not genocide. Even though it was occasionally used as a weapon (ie, rarely).

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 12:27 PM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

dissapointed again with washington.

Washington should apologise for Custer and co slaughtering The Native Americans as they did ironic That it was the Natives who gave the settlers succor in their darkest hour which is remembered at the Time of Thanksgiving.

Id favour Washington to shut the hell up knuckle down and concentrate on Returning the Soldiers from where they're not welcome, Jena Cleveland The Economy [strikes at chevron etc etc empty malls daily ripping down prices to prise open folks wallets] The Environment coz washington has been running away from its Kyoto pollution committments for how long now...

Al Gores not doing too bad right now.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:16 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

What people donīt realize is that Turkey is a very proud country, fanatically proud in sad lunatic way. I know quite a few Turkish people so I can feel the tip of the fiery ice burg.

The US has many bases and lots of support from Turkey, but the Kurdish problem could also be part of any equations

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:18 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by don't shiv

Id favour Washington to shut the hell up knuckle down and concentrate on Returning the Soldiers from where they're not welcome

You know what I mean? erm

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:24 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Yeah...but why are they doing this **** now?

Bad strategy...im guessing.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:25 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Bad strategy...im guessing.

Yeah but its like its so bad you got to wonder are they doing this **** unpurpose? I mean its like if you want to rob a bank you shouldnt do it in the first place but if you are going to do it at least execute it properly. Its like they're doing wrong and they cant even do whats wrong correctly.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:28 PM
tsilamini

I don't think anyone denies any longer that there were atrocities committed against the Native American population of North America...

People always throw around the "oh, they don't teach you that in school" but to be honest, since grade 7 I was taught in school about the negative policy that immigrating Europeans had toward the natives.

and, imho, in this situation, Turkey has America by the balls because of Iraq, but might be shooting themselves in the foot with regards to joining the EU

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:38 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Yeah but its like its so bad you got to wonder are they doing this **** unpurpose? I mean its like if you want to rob a bank you shouldnt do it in the first place but if you are going to do it at least execute it properly. Its like they're doing wrong and they cant even do whats wrong correctly.

don't confuse the fact that you disagree with what the Turks are saying with the idea that they are committing political suicide.

America NEEDS the Turks right now.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 01:39 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by inimalist
don't confuse the fact that you disagree with what the Turks are saying with the idea that they are committing political suicide.

Er....im not.

America NEEDS the Turks right now.

Bro....thats my point. I disagree with the Turks but why the hell are America doing this now, when it could cause trouble.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 02:02 PM
tsilamini

Er....im not.

Bro....thats my point. I disagree with the Turks but why the hell are America doing this now, when it could cause trouble.

lol, note to self, read...

sorry smile

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 03:05 PM
Deadline

lol, note to self, read...

sorry smile

No worries. smile

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 03:24 PM
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
Quite embarrassing for Turkey. Every reasonable person and anyone with any basic knowledge of history knows genocide occurred. Their continued refusal to acknowledge it is pathetic and cowardly.

It's lose/lose for them, I guess. Admit they killed a million+ people in an act of barbaric genocide, or go on lying and looking desperate and foolish in the face of mounds and mounds of evidence that it did actually happen.

Hell, it's even taught as "The Armenian Genocide" in History classes.

As for their threats, it reminds me of what a spoiled child may say - "Do what I say or I'm going to hold my breath!!!!"

believe it or not, i guess they are putting on a demonstration to be more acceptable to the european nations, and just yesterday (on npr) i heard that turkey maybe charged with the genocide of Armenians.

"A diplomatic rift between Turkey and the United States deepened Friday after Ankara recalled its ambassador to Washington over a vote in the US Congress to label the massacre of Armenians by the Ottoman Turks an act of genocide"

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM...2PuHCqSuLa_9glQ

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 03:47 PM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I don't think anyone denies any longer that there were atrocities committed against the Native American population of North America...

People always throw around the "oh, they don't teach you that in school" but to be honest, since grade 7 I was taught in school about the negative policy that immigrating Europeans had toward the natives.

and, imho, in this situation, Turkey has America by the balls because of Iraq, but might be shooting themselves in the foot with regards to joining the EU

Turkey won't be joining the EU any time soon. Several member nations have put a stop to that. Cyprus & France for instance, and some other country's have refused as well, my own for instance but that probably won't use a veto when it comes to it. Cyprus certainly will. What Turkey is doing now is hardly hurting it's changes of joining the EU.

The relationship between Turkey and the US however has probably hit a all time low. They want to invade Iraq, the US won't let them. They want to stop a Kurdish state, the US could really use one. Then there is this. If anything it would hurt Iraq... Turkey and the US won't do to much against each other. They still need each other.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 06:19 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote