KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Gore gets a cold shoulder

Gore gets a cold shoulder
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Gore gets a cold shoulder

ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works"

He goes on to explain that in certain periods of time, there were many more hurricanes than what are being linked as increases due ot global warming.

Although, his mentioning of the salinity content of the worlds oceans' as being directly related to the number of hurricanes is a new theory to me...I firmly believe we are lying to our youth, as the good doctor goes on to say. Global warming might be going on, but there is no one out there that can PROVE to me it is caused by humans. In fact global warming looks like this........warming, cooling, warming, cooling, warming, cooling.....get the picture??? Cycles, cylces everywhere....Like all cycles, this one too will runout of gas and a new one will begin. Can't wait for all the global cooling theories..... they should be fun!!!!!

More here..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environm...1696238792.html

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:01 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Gore gets a cold shoulder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works"

He goes on to explain that in certain periods of time, there were many more hurricanes than what are being linked as increases due ot global warming.

Although, his mentioning of the salinity content of the worlds oceans' as being directly related to the number of hurricanes is a new theory to me...I firmly believe we are lying to our youth, as the good doctor goes on to say. Global warming might be going on, but there is no one out there that can PROVE to me it is caused by humans. In fact global warming looks like this........warming, cooling, warming, cooling, warming, cooling.....get the picture??? Cycles, cylces everywhere....Like all cycles, this one too will runout of gas and a new one will begin. Can't wait for all the global cooling theories..... they should be fun!!!!!

More here..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environm...1696238792.html

Al Gore acknowledged that there were a few naysayers out there. However, they are the exception now instead of the norm.

I noticed that his Climate chart in his movie only went back like 600,000 years. It has been much hotter in previous eons and much more oxygen in previous eons.

I would love to debate with Al Gore about this stuff right there with him as he is giving his presentation.

However, do not let this fool you on what my opinion is. I fully believe that we need to clean up our acts as humans. It is utterly ridiculous that we even drive cars that run on fossil fuels right now. They have friggin' cars that run on plain old air now!!! They even have air compressors that can recharge air compressors meaning that you wouldn't have to do anything to you car other than maintenance!!!

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:23 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

1) The nobel peace prize is such a joke, I hope the real nobel prizes never have to worry about celebrity nonsense

2) There is a really good body of evidence on global warming at this point and:
a) you are absolutly right when talking about the natural cycles of the planet, and yes, the planet is probably in a natural warming phase.
b) there are almost a undeniable ammount of evidence that shows that this warming trend is at the very least being made worse by man.

3) imho, the cause of global warming is irrelevant. If it is humans, destroying our economy and power supply is not a viable option, and if it is not, we need to adapt. Basically, the arguing over the whos and whys is useless. We need new and better technology.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:25 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dr. Gray has been calling Global Warming a hoax since the issue became a political talking point.

I'm skeptical of all the myriad issues that have been lumped under the Global Warming heading. But there is no denying that humans are poisioning the environment. Global Warming isn't just about hurricanes, it's also about our oceans becoming more acidic; our policy of deforestation; the rise in the extinction levels, etc.

Dr. Gray uses the logic that we can't predict the weather of the future with any certainty and then goes on to say that in another 10 years the Earth will begin to cool again. How does he know one will happen, but certain the other will not, if there's no way to predict?

I also believe that the Nobel commitee probably has a few qualified members on the panel.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Last edited by Devil King on Oct 16th, 2007 at 06:40 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:26 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Re: Re: Gore gets a cold shoulder

Originally posted by dadudemon
I would love to debate with Al Gore about this stuff right there with him as he is giving his presentation.

I feel this way a lot too when it comes to people who talk about science in the mainstream.

However, as I have observed, people are not swayed by real science. They are swayed by science sounding words and an emotional appeal. If you or I went to debate Al Gore, we would not be arguing about the strict fact of global warming, but in fact, the morality of Polar Bears going extinct.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:27 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gore's a loser, even though he should've won.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:31 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbucket
Oddball Odd

quote:
Gore's a loser, even though he should've won.

Now THERE'S a challenging sentence...

La Paila de Muerte has spoken

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:38 PM
deathbucket is currently offline Click here to Send deathbucket a Private Message Find more posts by deathbucket Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Re: Re: Gore gets a cold shoulder

Originally posted by inimalist
I feel this way a lot too when it comes to people who talk about science in the mainstream.

However, as I have observed, people are not swayed by real science. They are swayed by science sounding words and an emotional appeal. If you or I went to debate Al Gore, we would not be arguing about the strict fact of global warming, but in fact, the morality of Polar Bears going extinct.

Yeah, kind of like idiots on the news blaming the Chris Benoit thing on "Roid Rage"...utterly stupid nonsense. What about the other drugs in his system? What about the fact that Chris didn't have nearly as high of testosterone blood serum levels in his system as most people would IF they were on steroids. (One quack went as far to say that he had 50 times the amount of test in his blood as normal....utterly stupid since she failed to show that her method of calculation was not the way used by everyone else AND the way she did it was WRONG!.)

Just sayin' that the Media are idiots and no one would want to watch the news if I forced them to report accurately and correctly AND on more important things other than Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:38 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

With global warming, it's obviously an "issue" worthy of attention, but how big an issue and what the consequences are I'm still out on committing to.

It's obviously become an issue that everyone is applying their agenda to now, there's money to be made off it, nobody can really be trusted anymore.

I think we've all accepted that the fear-mongering Day After Tomorrow kind of doomsayers are idiots, but I think if there is a problem then we should make an effort to combat it.

The amount of effort people put in definitely relies on how catastrophic the consequences of apathy are made to seem, though. If people said "Yeah, the Earth is getting a bit ****ed up because of us, but nobody is gonna have to wear oxygen suits and we're not gonna all be underwater.", who would honestly worry?

There's obviously a true side of the story out there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 06:41 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Gotta give props to Gore. The man choose a topic of controversy and gets the spotlight. Can't ask for more...except money.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 07:07 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
History Buff

Most of the world's scientific experts agree that global warming is caused by man and IS in fact real!

People who still think its a left-wing, liberal conspiracy of some sort should be grouped with Holocaust deniers.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 07:11 PM
History Buff is currently offline Click here to Send History Buff a Private Message Find more posts by History Buff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's a bit extreme.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 07:15 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
With global warming, it's obviously an "issue" worthy of attention, but how big an issue and what the consequences are I'm still out on committing to.

It's obviously become an issue that everyone is applying their agenda to now, there's money to be made off it, nobody can really be trusted anymore.

I think we've all accepted that the fear-mongering Day After Tomorrow kind of doomsayers are idiots, but I think if there is a problem then we should make an effort to combat it.

The amount of effort people put in definitely relies on how catastrophic the consequences of apathy are made to seem, though. If people said "Yeah, the Earth is getting a bit ****ed up because of us, but nobody is gonna have to wear oxygen suits and we're not gonna all be underwater.", who would honestly worry?

There's obviously a true side of the story out there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it.

-AC

That's kind of where I am at the moment. I really try to not buy into he extremist bullshit. (On either side.)

From what I can recall, we are coming out of an ice age still but in the last few years, the warming has increased much faster than previous ice ages. This is measured with the ice core samples I believe.

There is a body of evidence that clearly supports global warming. I personally think that we are part of a naturally warming process and that we are also speeding up the warming process. Since I am not an expert, I don't know to what extent. Can someone provide some graphs/facts/data on this to get the discussion rolling in the right direction? (Still, data can still be subjective and the data collected may not necessarily be done by objective people.)

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 07:17 PM
anaconda
Jukebox

quote:
There is a body of evidence that clearly supports global warming. I personally think that we are part of a naturally warming process and that we are also speeding up the warming process. Since I am not an expert, I don't know to what extent. Can someone provide some graphs/facts/data on this to get the discussion rolling in the right direction? (Still, data can still be subjective and the data collected may not necessarily be done by objective people.)

I actually live in a part of the world we can actually see that it has become warmer (average temperature during each of the years 12 months), if it is due to global warming because of man made greenhouse effects theory or just another climatic cycles of this globe I really dont know............fact remains the same though:either way it has become warmer here

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:15 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Start packing sun screen lotion...problem solve.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

and you gonna eat that sun lotion too?

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:17 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Oh, let me explain...see, you put it on your skin.

You guys eat anything...silly me.

hehehe....

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:18 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

Who wants to wade through that sea of bullshit ? Not me for sure.

I scoff at those whom seem to believe that the only way to stop global warming is to reduce ourselves to....

A. Hippies.
B. Cavemen

It' my godamn planet and my goddamn car. If I want to f8ck up the planet then so be it. But yeah... Ac has spelled out the gist of it. Money is to be made from GW so lets all 'cash in'.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:24 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

Originally posted by History Buff
Most of the world's scientific experts agree that global warming is caused by man and IS in fact real!

People who still think its a left-wing, liberal conspiracy of some sort should be grouped with Holocaust deniers.

by all means, please list these scientific experts aswell as their credentials. we'll wait.

also...since you're a history buff.......please tell me the average temperature of the earth when it was predominantly inhabited by reptiles, cold blooded animals. Do you think T-Rex was roaming around in temperatures anywhere near 30 F degrees? As stated in the quote by a real expert earlier, the earth's climate is an ever-changing cycle. You go from tropical temps (you know...when those reptiles ruled the planet).....gradually it cools to a nice moderate temp (which we've been enjoying now)......eventually to a glacial period. Just as with the last ice age 10,000 years ago or so......the earth's climate starts heading northward again (which is why we are not STILL in an ice age) until we reach tropical temps again. As a history buff, I suggest you read books that cover more than just the last 2000 years of the earth's 4+ billion years of existence.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:35 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

HOLY SHIT BALLS!!!

Look at what I found!!

"The Carboniferous Period and the Ordovician Period were the only geological periods during the Paleozoic Era when global temperatures were as low as they are today. To the consternation of global warming proponents, the Late Ordovician Period was also an Ice Age while at the same time CO2 concentrations then were nearly 12 times higher than today-- 4400 ppm. According to greenhouse theory, Earth should have been exceedingly hot. Instead, global temperatures were no warmer than today. Clearly, other factors besides atmospheric carbon influence earth temperatures and global warming."

http://mysite.verizon.net/mhieb/WVF...us_climate.html

This entire page has tons and tons of great information pertinent to the discussion. Now I know why Al Gore NEVER has a chart up in his presentations for anything older than 600,000 years...his whole point would be moot.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:48 PM