KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » First Impressions:

First Impressions:
Started by: Scarlett

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scarlett

First Impressions:

How important are first impressions to you?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 05:37 PM
Scarlett is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlett a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlett Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Within the first three seconds of a new encounter, people pass judgment on you, even unconsciously. Once the first impression is made, it is virtually irreversible. First impressions are lasting impressions. It is human nature.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 06:22 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

I disagree.

Anyone can change thier first impression made on me the second time around. There have been several people who I thought nothing of at first, who I became attracted to later, and vise versa.

First Impressions are only important to people who can only recognize superficial value.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 06:25 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
I disagree.

Anyone can change thier first impression made on me the second time around. There have been several people who I thought nothing of at first, who I became attracted to later, and vise versa.

First Impressions are only important to people who can only recognize superficial value.

i agree.

Unlike what you are taught in business ethic. I believe impressions towards people constantly change the more you get to know them. The way i percieve my best of friends even tends to change. If change is constant in everything why doesnt it apply to the way you percieve people? First impressions are however, very important in establishing a relationship with someone.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 06:38 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Many variables that contribute to 'liking' someone are decided subconsciously the moment your brain is done processing the stimuli coming from them. The first impression is thus very important, because it creates the social 'category' that you will use to interact with the individual.

This category is not static, it will change with more exposure to the individual (not to mention a host of other things). To answer Urizen more directly, imho, the move from thinking nothing of said individuals to liking them required the exposure and reclassification of that individual.

So, yes, I think first impressions are important, though clearly not definitive. It is easy to think of scenarios where a good first impression may later be changed by experience, or that a bad one can be improved, yet the influence of the initial categorization of the individual will have a radical influence on how any further experience with that individual will be interpreted.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 06:40 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i agree.

Unlike what you are taught in business ethic. I believe impressions towards people constantly change the more you get to know them. The way i percieve my best of friends even tends to change. If change is constant in everything why doesnt it apply to the way you percieve people? First impressions are however, very important in establishing a relationship with someone.

I know I usually disagree with you, but I think you hit the nail just right with this one thumb up

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 06:48 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Storm
Within the first three seconds of a new encounter, people pass judgment on you, even unconsciously. Once the first impression is made, it is virtually irreversible. First impressions are lasting impressions. It is human nature.

I agree

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 07:28 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
I know I usually disagree with you, but I think you hit the nail just right with this one thumb up

we agree on something...,how did that happen? blink

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 08:17 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Storm

That's true, but you can (usually) reverse that; "Y'know Bob, I think you and I got off to a bad start...".

Old Post Oct 25th, 2007 08:56 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well, there are first impressions until the person speaks.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 02:25 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Forever*Alone~
Empress

first impressions matter nothing to me because i dont care.

i make a bad first impression on others though, and most impressions after.

does this work?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 03:05 AM
~Forever*Alone~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Forever*Alone~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Forever*Alone~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

Im pretty bad with first impressions, I must say.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 03:55 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

First impressions are reversable. I know because I've become great friends and found great respect for people who initially gave off a shitty first impression.

Like Schecter. When I first met him I thought he was a disgusting deviant with a tiny penis and obnoxiously homosexual...and now....wait, bad example.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 04:03 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

^^ laughing

For me, sometimes people think I'm stuck up when I'm quiet. All I have to do is open my mouth then........

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 01:31 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

I wouldn't say they can't be reversed. Often reversal is easier than progression.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 03:39 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

First impressions are easily reversible. I have found many people I thot were dicks at first, but became friends with afterwords.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Oct 27th, 2007 03:48 PM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Roulette
Freak

I agree with what others have said...first impressions are reversible.

Originally posted by BackFire
First impressions are reversable. I know because I've become great friends and found great respect for people who initially gave off a shitty first impression.

And sometimes, it's the complete opposite. I've met people who gave off a great first impression, but after getting to know them, I realized they were wankers.

Madness, as you know, is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 04:58 AM
Roulette is currently offline Click here to Send Roulette a Private Message Find more posts by Roulette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

It depends what type of person you are, there are some people who take first impressions as gospel, yet there are those that take them as just that, a first impression, nothing more. I've got a few friends who made quite bad first impressions, yet to even think about those impressions now, would be absolutely stupid.

To use an analogy, it's like hating your kitten forever, for scratching you.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 05:05 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Roulette
Freak

Hehe, I like that analogy. ^-^

Madness, as you know, is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 05:17 AM
Roulette is currently offline Click here to Send Roulette a Private Message Find more posts by Roulette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarlett

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 11:56 AM
Scarlett is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlett a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlett Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote