KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’

1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’
Started by: chithappens

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chithappens

1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’

Story here

quote:
WASHINGTON - It’s a nickname no principal could be proud of: “Dropout factory,” a high school where no more than 60 percent of the students who start as freshmen make it to their senior year. That description fits more than one in 10 high schools across America.

Rest of the article is pretty disturbing. Oh and Utah is the only state with one.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 04:58 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

That's too bad.

I really would like to know what goes through the minds of dropouts. Why?? It's just so stupid.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:01 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: 1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chithappens
Story here

Rest of the article is pretty disturbing. Oh and Utah is the only state with one.

The NCLB FTW, go Bush!

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:01 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Re: Re: 1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’

Originally posted by Robtard
The NCLB FTW, go Bush!

It's ironic, it's probably the "No Child Left Behind" deal that's making more people drop out.

Eh, I really don't know.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:07 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: 1 in 10 U.S. high schools is a ‘dropout factory’

Originally posted by chithappens
Story here

It also says

quote:
Utah, which has low poverty rates and fewer minorities than most states, is the only state without a "dropout factory."

Would the key words be poverty and minority?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:20 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

What are you suggesting? I hate making assumptions

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:30 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The obvious question....Are most drop-outs come from minorities? If so, what can be done to fix it.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:34 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

I live in Utah. Minorities are often the geniuses at my school.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:38 PM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The obvious question....Are most drop-outs come from minorities? If so, what can be done to fix it.

It is in the article:

quote:
The highest concentration of dropout factories is in large cities or high-poverty rural areas in the South and Southwest. Most have high proportions of minority students. These schools are tougher to turn around because their students face challenges well beyond the academic ones — the need to work as well as go to school, for example, or a need for social services.

The minority part is a moot point, but yes it is true. The question is how to fix it period.

Here's a map of state percentages:

Percentage by state

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:39 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Only 1 in 10? With the arrogance and severely depleted intellect exhibited by today's youth, I figured only 1 in 10 student bodies would actually be worth a damn.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 05:53 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by botankus
Only 1 in 10? With the arrogance and severely depleted intellect exhibited by today's youth, I figured only 1 in 10 student bodies would actually be worth a damn.

I think your use of "today's" is inaccurate. If I am not mistaken, we are have higher education rates than in any other time in history. The last 100 years in the US has seen some major education leaps. We are not failing as bad as people would think. Though we shouldn't settle for what we have now, we also shouldn't look down on the system as being a failure.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I don't care if the schools are failing. I just want the kids to be put into Death Camps!

Did I say Death Camps? I meant Happy Camps.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:07 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I don't care if the schools are failing. I just want the kids to be put into Death Camps!

Did I say Death Camps? I meant Happy Camps.

Ohhh oh... someone didn't drink their whiskey this morning.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:14 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

All the Baldwins are dead????

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:16 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

All the Baldwins are dead????

Nope, all four are alive and kicking. Steven (the youngest, of Bio-Dome fame) has found Jesus; he's now travelling the U.S. in a school bus preaching "the word".

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:18 PM
tsilamini

Everyone should read this article:

http://www.macleans.ca/education/po...9139&page=1

Originally posted by SelphieT
I really would like to know what goes through the minds of dropouts. Why?? It's just so stupid.

especially you wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:38 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I swear, I really can't wait to just graduate from school and never have to see another arrogant teen who wants to dropout for a lame excuse again.

Originally posted by SelphieT
That's too bad.

"TIZ SO STOOPID"

"BORIIIIING"

"SCHOOL IZ NOT C00L! ZOMG!"

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Last edited by JacopeX on Nov 1st, 2007 at 06:49 PM

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 06:47 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

School systems are not set up to keep kids interested, and thus, many kids are basically "pushed" out. Not to mention that, for the sake of the class and the content + beurecratic authority, much individual and assertive learning is not only frowned upon, but reprimanded.

Everyone I know who didn't finish high school, yes, they made the choice, but school never provided the right type of learning environment for them.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 07:07 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Quark_666
I live in Utah. Minorities are often the geniuses at my school.

If only the rest of us could have genius minorities. Like when the lawn jockey actually keeps people off the lawn.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 07:38 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

I hate school.

But dropping out pretty much means youre screwed over, so although its an option---it really isnt.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 10:12 PM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote