KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » UK and US forget Christmas

UK and US forget Christmas
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Washington school calender omits Christmas

quote:
SPOKANE, Wash. - They made a list, but they should have checked it twice.

In a December newsletter to the families of elementary school students, Spokane Public Schools' list of "important dates" didn't include Christmas.

Hanukkah, Human Rights Day, winter break, the Islamic holy day Eid al-Adha, first day of winter and Kwanzaa all made the list. But no Christmas.

"It was absolutely an error of omission," district spokeswoman Terren Roloff said. "In our efforts to be inclusive, we missed the obvious."

The omission drew complaints from some parents that Christians are being overlooked in favor of other cultures and beliefs.

Greater Spokane Association of Evangelicals Executive Director John Tusant said the error surprised him.

"The stores have been decorated for the last month. How do you overlook that?" Tusant asked.

Hutton School parent Jane Harper noted the absence of Christmas but didn't think the omission was meant as a message to Christians.

"Christmas is so dominant in our society. I don't know that anyone should feel slighted," Harper said.

Roloff said the district would not have included Hanukkah and Eid al-Adha if it had intended to avoid religious celebrations. She said her office has been fielding calls about the newsletter from concerned parents, and that most have been understanding about the mix-up.

Christmas had been added to the "important dates" section of the online version of the school district's newsletter by Thursday afternoon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130...ere_s_christmas

Thoughts?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 01:17 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

No Christmas Please, We're British

quote:
No Christmas Please, We’re British
http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/2727
From the desk of The Brussels Journal on Sun, 2007-12-02 17:19
A quote from The Sunday Telegraph, 2 December 2007

Only one in five [British primary] schools are planning to perform a traditional nativity play this year. They are now outnumbered by schools that say they will be either putting on a non-religious play, such as Scrooge or Snow White, or giving no performance at all. [...]

Several of the schools surveyed said the nativity tableau was no longer a feature because the intake was ethnically mixed and staff had to be aware of “not offending anyone”.

A spokesman for a school in Barking, east London, where half of the intake is white British, said: “We are not putting on a play; instead we are having a talk about a Czech winter play. We don’t feel the need to have the nativity. We are an ethnically diverse school and want to learn about other cultures.”

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 01:20 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

It's funny. Christmas is, without a doubt, the biggest holiday in the US. That it was omitted while Kwanzaa wasn't might be an indicator that we should be more realistic....not being ignorant is a good thing, but trading ignorance of an artificial celebration for Americans of African descent for ignorance of a traditional holiday celebrated for years by a good 95% of the population is rather ridiculous.

Still, probably just a simple error.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 01:22 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I posted it because it clearly demonstrates how scared some people are to offend someone (and with that lose their jobs).

The PCs seem really scared and stressed. And in America of all places.

Still funny thought.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 01:25 PM
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I posted it because it clearly demonstrates how scared some people are to offend someone (and with that lose their jobs).

Still funny thought.
Yeah, I meant that though I didn't want to say PC. I'm against PC, but I think some people just throw the "PC HAS GONE MAD" out there as if it was the end to all arguments. One still needs reasons, in my opinion.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 01:28 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I am an Atheist, yet I still believe in Christmas as a time for family, and decoration, I find it outrageous that other religions are put before the main religion of the two country's, I don't like the fact that others want it to be changed or dulled down, apparently they want Christmas to be called Winterfest, now since Christianity was there first in the two country's, I don't think any other religion has the damn nerve or right to be dictating the way things go, for another religion.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 02:38 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I am an Atheist, yet I still believe in Christmas as a time for family, and decoration, I find it outrageous that other religions are put before the main religion of the two country's, I don't like the fact that others want it to be changed or dulled down, apparently they want Christmas to be called Winterfest, now since Christianity was there first in the two country's, I don't think any other religion has the damn nerve or right to be dictating the way things go, for another religion.
Actually Christmas was a pagan festival first. Also, you are an odd atheist.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 02:41 PM
exanda kane

I am an Atheist

Can you stop saying this now, I think you've drilled it into our brains enough.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 03:05 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

big grin

Drill Drill Drill....................Now destroy.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Actually Christmas was a pagan festival first.

I don't care at all.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 07:08 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I don't care at all.

Why argue at all then? Your whole argument has just been shown to be incorrect and you don't care?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 07:13 PM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I was not arguing?

I was saying other religions are taking over the traditions of the country's, since Christianity is the first main religion of that, and I said I don't care of it being a pagan festival, I don't care about any religion I just don't like that other religions are taking over cultures and traditions.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 07:17 PM
Bardock42

I was not arguing?

I was saying other religions are taking over the traditions of the country's, since Christianity is the first main religion of that, and I said I don't care of it being a pagan festival, I don't care about any religion I just don't like that other religions are taking over cultures and traditions.
Are you not very smart? Christianity being the first doesn't matter. And what people want to celebrate is their decision.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 08:03 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

For as long as I live I will never ever forget Christmas.

Thanks Steve.. "This is the way"

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 08:18 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Still funny thought.

the irony is that when you speak to people from religious minorities...none of them ever say christmas offends them...in fact some have told me that us being afraid of offending them but ignoring our own festivals of religion is more offensive as it means that we are ignoring our equivalent of something they hold very dear...and that we somehow think they are going to react in an extremist manner if we have the audacity to celebrate our own religion

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 09:56 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

This is one of those abortion-type issues, where both sides end up being annoying.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:42 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
This is one of those abortion-type issues, where both sides end up being annoying.

How so?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:47 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Robtard >>> Every Trumper

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom

Don't be so quick to judge, after all, AC has yet to post in here.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:49 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Robtard
Don't be so quick to judge, after all, AC has yet to post in here.
When AC posts it's usually about the time when everything gets annoying.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:50 PM
Robtard
Robtard >>> Every Trumper

Originally posted by Bardock42
When AC posts it's usually about the time when everything gets annoying.

Yeah, what I said, Mrs. Robtard.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by chithappens
How so?

Have you read the 9000 pages of the abortion thread?

If not, read the following approximately 9000 times.

It is.

It's not.

Is.

Isn't.

You.

Nah you.

Is.

Ain't.

Should.

Shouldn't.

You.

Nah you.

Murder killing murder killing murder killing murder killing.

Is.

Ain't.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2007 10:59 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote