KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Young Chimp Beats College Students

Young Chimp Beats College Students
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

Young Chimp Beats College Students

'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'

(please log in to view the image)
Does that mean I'm more intelligent than y'all thought?'

'No, mate, no.'

so whats to blame for a 5 year old chimp having a better memory than the average human? has tv and food additives destroyed our brains that much..

or..

do chimps just have better memorys than humans

discuss

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:26 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am not really suprised. Many other animals tend to have very superb memories. Example, an elephant.

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:29 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JacopeX
I am not really suprised. Many other animals tend to have very superb memories. Example, an elephant.

In the case of an Elephant, they (more so in females) have larger areas in the brain where long term memories are stored (Episodic, I think) comparatively speaking. They need this, to get back to places of water/food/mating etc., as they often travel back to those places years in between.

Curious, what "many" other animals "tend to have superb memories?"

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:35 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Originally posted by Robtard
In the case of an Elephant, they (more so in females) have larger areas in the brain where long term memories are stored (Episodic, I think) comparatively speaking. They need this, to get back to places of water/food/mating etc., as they often travel back to those places years in between.

Curious, what "many" other animals "tend to have superb memories?"

Goldfish? sad

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:41 PM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shinde Imasu
RAWR!

Originally posted by Kram3r
Goldfish? sad

HAHA, quite obviously not goldfish. Actually, I can't think of any other animal with amazing memory ... But I did like that story, I read it yesterday in the newspaper. Very clever.

This is how it hurts when I pretend I don't feel any pain ... This is how I disappear when I throw myself away

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:48 PM
Shinde Imasu is currently offline Click here to Send Shinde Imasu a Private Message Find more posts by Shinde Imasu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Originally posted by Shinde Imasu
HAHA, quite obviously not goldfish.

Y-yes quite.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 10:51 PM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deano
'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'

'No, mate, no.'

so whats to blame for a 5 year old chimp having a better memory than the average human? has tv and food additives destroyed our brains that much..

or..

discuss
Whether they do or don't, humans are still superior. We...built...cars...roads...and petrol stations. With this we are able to pretty much travel almost everywhere on the Earth, more than I can say for some dumb chimp.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2007 11:52 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by lord xyz
Whether they do or don't, humans are still superior. We...built...cars...roads...and petrol stations. With this we are able to pretty much travel almost everywhere on the Earth, more than I can say for some dumb chimp.

Exactly, and I bet the monkey wasn't out doing shots until 4 in the morning the night before like the college students were.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 12:30 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Chimps overall may have better short-term memory, but overall, human beings are more intelligent.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 12:32 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by tabby999
Exactly, and I bet the monkey wasn't out doing shots until 4 in the morning the night before like the college students were.

Maybe the chimp was out doing bananas all night. Lots of potassium it's good for the body.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 12:47 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

'No, mate, no.'

or..

discuss

Link, please.

Also, this is one of the few threads that you've started that isn't moronic. You may have a cookie.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 12:51 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
B.A
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think his species prefer bananas.

Respect Apollo Respect Black Goliatch

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 02:16 PM
B.A is currently offline Click here to Send B.A a Private Message Find more posts by B.A Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Re: Young Chimp Beats College Students

'No, mate, no.'

or..

discuss

I saw this on the news. When the chimps finished the activity correctly, they were given a peanut.

Now answer me this, when the college students were asked to do this, were they rewarded with a peanut? Hmm?

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 05:43 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

YOU, haven't done shit. Some other guy did all of that.

laughing Funny how people say stuff like "we" when taking credit for something another person did.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 06:46 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

All of which is damaging our ecosystem, who is truly more intelligent?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 07:27 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, we are.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 07:33 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Young Chimp Beats College Students

'Think you're smarter than a fifth-grader? How about a 5-year-old chimp? Japanese researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won. That challenges the belief of many people, including many scientists, that "humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions," said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.'...

This goes to show we did not evolve from chimps.

Once you think you are superior, you will always be shown to be the fool.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 07:45 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

We most certainly are not as adapted to the environment as most animals are. We rely heavily on social mechanisms and blatant intelligence to be successful…not things such as claws…physical size/strength, exoskeletons, and even acute short term memories.

However, I would wager that this was not an ordinary Chimp being used. Maybe the average Chimp should be compared to the average human before an assessment like this can be made. The intellectual barrier is not extremely far from Chimps. Maybe the unusually good memory chimp should be compared to a human with an unusual memory…there would probably be a huge difference. This study had to do with reaction times relative to short term memory function, correct?

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 07:48 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Young Chimp Beats College Students

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This goes to show we did not evolve from chimps.

Once you think you are superior, you will always be shown to be the fool.

I don't think any intelligent persons believes we evolved from chimps.

"We" are superior to chimps, in terms of intelligence, that is a fact; it has nothing to do with thinking it, it just is.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 09:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Chimps overall may have better short-term memory, but overall, human beings are more intelligent.

look around the planet. look at all the shit thats going on. as a race we cant even get along. hardly intelligent.

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2007 09:20 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote