KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

A Good Day or a Bad Day ?
Started by: SpearofDestiny

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Question A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

Let's say there's a particular day in your life. On this day you find out that you have just won over One Billion Dollars. Either through the lottery, or some raffle at work, or you were in some rich person's will.

On that same day, however, you find out someone you love dearly dies.

Is this a good day, or a bad day ? And why ?

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 10:25 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
Let's say there's a particular day in your life. On this day you find out that you have just won over One Billion Dollars. Either through the lottery, or some raffle at work, or you were in some rich person's will.

On that same day, however, you find out someone you love dearly dies.

Is this a good day, or a bad day ? And why ?

Depends on who it was. If it was my wife, children, siblings, or parents, close friends, and grandparents, no amount of money would make me feel better for a while. If it was anyone else, it would be good day because I don't know them that well and it wouldn't sting as much.

Still, the day is bittersweet to a degree regardless.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 12:03 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Immediate family, grandparents, immediate cousins, and a few secondary cousins would all qualify to make it a bad day. Maybe about 25 of my other acquaintances could have the same effect. That's upward of 150 people. I can't believe I haven't had an awful day yet.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 12:18 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

I think I agree with Dadudedemon...

It depends who you ask. A good day or bad day is simply a subjective perspective.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 01:50 AM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Bittersweet is a good word to use, as was mentioned.

What a drag.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 02:15 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

To lose someone you truly love dearly is a bad day. The impact of that tangible loss will exceed the shock of winning an unimaginable amount of money.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 02:32 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Well, let me reword it then:

If you lost a relative, like a mother, father, or sibling...or a boyfreind or girlfreind....the same day you win a billion dollars- what kind of day is that ?

I don't think there is a real answer.

It just depends on the person who experiences it. The same situation is different for every individual.

besides....people all over the world lose loved ones everyday. It's nothing unique. I think for those who suffer this in poverty, the suffering may be a tad bit more extreme than those who are wealthy...just a thought. I could be wrong.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 05:01 AM
leonheartmm

id throw the money away cause it wud remind me of the loss. its definately a bad day.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 05:21 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by leonheartmm
id throw the money away cause it wud remind me of the loss. its definately a bad day.
Crazy as it sounds, I might do the same.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 07:14 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Well, I think it's universal that anyone who loses someone they love will suffer.

However, people cope differently. Some people can move forward much better than others. Many factors play into this, including various life situations such as: self confidense, social relations, and finances.

Many things contribute to one's happiness/stability besides relations with loved ones.

I personally think it would be much easier for a person who loves thier job, makes a lot of $$$, and has plenty self confidense to cope with the death of a dear loved one, then a person who makes very little money, is in massive debt, hates the way he/she looks, has poor relations with other people, has almost no freinds, etc.

The death of a loved one for the second person would probably cause far more trauma than for the first person.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 04:51 PM
chithappens

Originally posted by leonheartmm

... what the hell will throwing the money away accomplish? if they did not die because of the money then i don't see the point at all.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 04:58 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

If I may: Of those responding, how many have actually lost a dearly loved one? Who here speaks from experience of such loss rather than imagining what it would be like, pitting that against imagining sudden wealth?

I wonder which celebrities who have lost parents at a young age, I wonder if they would trade all their wealth and fame to have their loved one back.

Last edited by Mindship on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 06:02 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 05:59 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Fortunately, I have not yet lost a family member to death. The closest thing I can say is losing partners that I have loved due to various circumstances. But I doubt it's the same feeling.

However, I can assure you.....winning over a billion dollars will CERTAINLY take a load of stress off my life, and i would rather be in a situation where i lose someone I love but gain that extant of financial security, then lose someone I love in my current state of affairs.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 06:05 PM
High Priest
Restricted

Account Restricted

It wud be hard to say if someone died like in my family it wud be sad cus they are my family so i say a bad day .but the money that i won wud cheer me up in the later weeks ahead.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 06:14 PM
High Priest is currently offline Click here to Send High Priest a Private Message Find more posts by High Priest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
However, I can assure you.....winning over a billion dollars will CERTAINLY take a load of stress off my life, and i would rather be in a situation where i lose someone I love but gain that extant of financial security, then lose someone I love in my current state of affairs.
Indeed. I would rather lose a loved one and still have the $billion then lose the loved one and not have the $billion--as long as they are completely unrelated events. Otherwise, I'd rather lose the $$$ if it meant I could keep my loved one.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 06:32 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Mindship
Indeed. I would rather lose a loved one and still have the $billion then lose the loved one and not have the $billion--as long as they are completely unrelated events. Otherwise, I'd rather lose the $$$ if it meant I could keep my loved one.

*wipes aware tears*

I didn't know you felt so strong about me.

But yeah....I agree.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 06:39 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Re: A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

I think a major part of this would also be tied up in how the person went.

If my mother was suffering with cancer, the loss may be very hard, but the idea that she is not suffering any more would be positive, and in a long term situation like that, many people are able to come to grips, to some degree, with the loss, and it may soften to blow.

That being said, having a billion dollars on the same day I lose a loved one would be tragic. Heroin addiction 101.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 07:05 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by dadudemon
I didn't know you felt so strong about me.
** hoping that's really Kate Beckinsale **

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 07:13 PM
dadudemon

Re: Re: A Good Day or a Bad Day ?

Originally posted by inimalist
I think a major part of this would also be tied up in how the person went.

If my mother was suffering with cancer, the loss may be very hard, but the idea that she is not suffering any more would be positive, and in a long term situation like that, many people are able to come to grips, to some degree, with the loss, and it may soften to blow.

That being said, having a billion dollars on the same day I lose a loved one would be tragic. Heroin addiction 101.

Yeah, there's that part too. There are times people around me have died and I was glad they died. Not because I didn't love them. They were in this life in a bad way, being tortured by their existence. Death was mercy.

Originally posted by Mindship
** hoping that's really Kate Beckinsale **

laughing

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 08:27 PM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

So it seems so far that everyone realizes that it is the perception of the day, and not the day itself. The day itself is neutral, while the reaction is what determines whether or not this day is good or bad.

Good.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 03:00 AM