KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should Protests be allowed at the Olympics?

Politics and Sports
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 11 55.00%
No 8 40.00%
Undecided 1 5.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Should Protests be allowed at the Olympics?
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Question Should Protests be allowed at the Olympics?

What do you guys think? Should politics and propaganda be allowed in this global sporting event?

What about other events like the World Cup...or the World Series...or Superbowl...or the NBA finals...or...oh, well, you get the idea.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 04:35 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome. Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

As for protests- depends on the extent. The games themselves should not be disrupted. I'd approve of boycotts though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 05:02 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Wålshy~
Restricted

Account Restricted

did you see the olympics and that guy in that costume ran and stopped that runner? stuff like that shouldnt be allowed but boycotts and other things that do not disrupt the actual games is ok

Thanks to That AC/DC Chick <3

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 05:24 PM
~Wålshy~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Wålshy~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Wålshy~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

everyone remembers the Iranian martial artist (one of the favorites to win the gold) who refused to fight an Israeli, on the grounds that Israel wasn't a nation, and was thus disqualified?

ya, my opinion is that politics and sports have never been seperate. Like Ush said, choosing China as the spot for the olympics was political in itself, there was hope it would reform human rights (instead child labour has been used to make olympic merchandise).

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 05:25 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Um, I believe protests should be allowed anywhere.

As long as they don't incite to riot or encourage violence against a certain group.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 05:38 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome. Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

As for protests- depends on the extent. The games themselves should not be disrupted. I'd approve of boycotts though.

very well put...there has been political protests of sort at the olympics before...some obviously more extreme than others...Munich 1974 was as political as it gets

there was also the olympics in Nazi Germany...the Russian boycott during the cold war of the 1984 olympics in LA along with 14 other eastern bloc countries

the question is not whether protests should be allowed at the China games....it's whether or not they WILL be allowed...which is highly doubtful...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 05:54 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome.

Not "above and beyond", rather, they are a different element and shouldn't be terribly mixed up. Protests should not be allowed. Boycott the Olympics, protest at your capitol, but at the same time, don't disrupt others who ARE participating.

I don't get the impression that the IOC thinks that the Olympics are "above" drastic political issues..more like they have no place in the Olympics. Politics are a major part of the Olympics but the IOC as drawn a specific line when it comes to politics. These are in place to allow the participants to perform and represent their country as best as possible while also providing a form of security.

The writers of these rules did not drink pickle juice before they decided to talk about the rules. The rules are still being changed and added to because it is not perfect. That is one of the reasons for the IOC.

Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

I fully agree. Well put.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 06:25 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

my favorite was the time when those black competitors threw up a "black fist" after they won their medals and that white dude was stuck standing there like .......

i think that they should be allowed to protest outside in the parking lot or whatever. just hold up your little signs and pass out free tibet flyers outside so spectators can act interested for 5 mins, without interfering with the actual fun.

as far as boycotting china goes if you're really going to boycott the chinese you better get ready for a whole lot of boycotting... because the olympics is just the tip of the iceberg. the chinaman currently has america by the balls, without them we could very well fall on our faces.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 06:52 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I guess it depends on the country the Olympics are being held in and their laws.

On a side note, no country should boycott the olympics due to political or moral disagreements.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 06:53 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Doesn't country need to fulfil certain criteria in order to host Olympics?

We all know China bought the games. Just like numerous other countries previously.

I don't believe in disrupting the games, but protest all you like. I am all for free Tibet, but equally I know that if any country waged a war to free Tibet, those who are sticking 'Free Tibet' stickers on their car, would be pulling those off and sticking ''No War'' ones on.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 07:09 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Peaceful protest is a form of expression that doesn't hurt anyone else. What these protestors don't understand is that resorting to violence makes them no better than the people they're calling oppressive. China does a lot of stuff I don't agree with, but if you're going to pick a place to hold the Olympic games that has never been part of any crimes against humanity in its whole history, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 07:43 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sancty
-

Originally posted by Strangelove

As long as they don't incite to riot or encourage violence against a certain group.
That's what I'd say too.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 07:48 PM
Sancty is currently offline Click here to Send Sancty a Private Message Find more posts by Sancty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Long as it doesn't interfere with the actual games.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 08:39 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

agreed.

To the topic: That they're taking place in China means we likely won't be seeing the level we would if the games were being held in Europe or North America.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 08:51 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Doesn't country need to fulfil certain criteria in order to host Olympics?

We all know China bought the games. Just like numerous other countries previously.

I don't believe in disrupting the games, but protest all you like. I am all for free Tibet, but equally I know that if any country waged a war to free Tibet, those who are sticking 'Free Tibet' stickers on their car, would be pulling those off and sticking ''No War'' ones on.

Funny, in a sad true way.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 08:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by red g jacks
the chinaman currently has america by the balls, without them we could very well fall on our faces.

It's mutual ball-handling. They need us as a market just as much as we need them as the mass producers of the products we purchase.

Personally, I think the US should adopt many of the same standards the EU has in regards to production standards. Not that they're perfect, by any means. In fact, if the US had any manufacturing standards, many right-wing pin heads wouldn't have the luxury of equating our miserable import standards coupled with China's knowledge that they have no production standards with the notion that the Chinqs are trying to kill us. If they don't care about their own people, I doubt they have in place a particular consideration when it comes to the citizens of other nations.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:05 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Ehh...no, not really "anywhere" I mean why hold a protest in the middle of a busy interception, or near a hospital, you know what I mean? Just do it somewhere in place more suitable for whatever cause the protest is about.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:21 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not sure that's what he meant by "anywhere".

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:25 PM
KidRock

Protests should be allowed..why not.

Except for the hippy liberal college protester whining FREE TIBET! Those shitbags should get an ass kicking.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:27 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by KidRock
Protests should be allowed..why not.

Except for the hippy liberal college protester whining FREE TIBET! Those shitbags should get an ass kicking.

****ing A! There won't be any peaceful protests in your mother-****ing country, roit! If they're peaceful, it'll look bad when the national guard releases the hounds on them and starts beating them with night sticks and high pressure water cannons. And who can have a really real protest without a GOD HATES **** sign, anyway?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2008 09:32 PM