KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Flat Earth Society

Flat Earth Society
Started by: Da Pittman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Shocked Flat Earth Society

I've never heard of them before laughing

"In 1956, Samuel Shelton founded a society that subscribed to a theory about the shape of the Earth -- namely, that it's flat. Shelton based his theory upon what he called common sense and personal observation. He called the scientific evidence for a globe-shaped Earth "dogmatic," meaning scientists were making this claim without adequate evidence. Later, when people showed him pictures of the Earth taken by satellites, Shelton claimed the photos were fake. He and the members of his society continued to support the idea that the Earth is flat and that those who disagree are part of a conspiracy to keep the truth about the Earth hidden.

Shelton died in 1971, and leadership of the society passed to Charles Johnson. Johnson led the society until his death in 2001. Without leadership, the society fell apart. Critics of the Flat Earth Society say that its members simply deny any evidence that conflicts with their world view without offering real alternative hypotheses."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sp...acy-theory8.htm

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:41 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This reminds me of the guy on the RF who believes that the sun goes around the Earth. laughing

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i posted about this before.

you think im bad? you should go visit the forum

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:55 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Flat Earth Society

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Da Pittman
I've never heard of them before laughing

"In 1956, Samuel Shelton founded a society that subscribed to a theory about the shape of the Earth -- namely, that it's flat. Shelton based his theory upon what he called common sense and personal observation. He called the scientific evidence for a globe-shaped Earth "dogmatic," meaning scientists were making this claim without adequate evidence. Later, when people showed him pictures of the Earth taken by satellites, Shelton claimed the photos were fake. He and the members of his society continued to support the idea that the Earth is flat and that those who disagree are part of a conspiracy to keep the truth about the Earth hidden.

Shelton died in 1971, and leadership of the society passed to Charles Johnson. Johnson led the society until his death in 2001. Without leadership, the society fell apart. Critics of the Flat Earth Society say that its members simply deny any evidence that conflicts with their world view without offering real alternative hypotheses."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sp...acy-theory8.htm

I read the remaining top ten theories. The dead cosmonaut and the shooting down of the satellite are pretty much the only plausible "theories".

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:56 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Deano
i posted about this before.

you think im bad? you should go visit the forum
They have a forum eek!

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:56 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Da Pittman
They have a forum eek!

It is more of a swirling blackhole of nonsense so massive the light of logic and reason are incapable of escaping its gravitational idiocy

I didn't, and still don't, think they are real. Although I would have said similar things about geocentrism...

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:05 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by inimalist
It is more of a swirling blackhole of nonsense so massive the light of logic and reason are incapable of escaping its gravitational idiocy

I didn't, and still don't, think they are real. Although I would have said similar things about geocentrism...
It wouldn't surprise me if they were real, there are some really dumb people in this world messed

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by inimalist

There are people who think the Earth is only 6k years old and that Dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus Rex ate grass in the Garden of Eden alongside the lambs and squirrels while Adam (made from dirt) & Eve (made from rib) frolicked about. So...

http://www.creationmuseum.org/

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post May 21st, 2008 05:09 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Deano
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

scary really.
laughing the ice wall laughing

Old Post May 21st, 2008 05:20 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Anyone who truly believes that the Earth is flat needs to be locked away for their own safety.

All you have to do is go to the ocean and watch a ship sail away over the horizon. Where did the ship go?

Old Post May 21st, 2008 05:42 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Get your eyes checked, you clearly are myopic.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 05:45 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Anyone who truly believes that the Earth is flat needs to be locked away for their own safety.

All you have to do is go to the ocean and watch a ship sail away over the horizon. Where did the ship go?

Maybe the earth is just the 3-D top of a sphere half and a magnetic force pulls ships (who think they are going north) west.

Makes sense to me. eek!

Old Post May 21st, 2008 05:46 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison

god created the horizon illusion to test our faith.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:01 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Robtard
Get your eyes checked, you clearly are myopic.

Originally posted by botankus
Maybe the earth is just the 3-D top of a sphere half and a magnetic force pulls ships (who think they are going north) west.

Makes sense to me. eek!

Originally posted by Schecter

laughing no expression

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:08 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Schecter

Which makes sense, since I've heard that the dinosaur fossils were aged and put into the earth by the Devil, to trick us.

Have to wonder why God would test us so, when God already knows Satan is deceiving us, we're getting it from both ends.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:19 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Robtard
Which makes sense, since I've heard that the dinosaur fossils were aged and put into the earth by the Devil, to trick us.

Have to wonder why God would test us so, when God already knows Satan is deceiving us, we're getting it from both ends.

That is what evil war gods do...

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:21 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

no i think the belief is that god placed the dinosaur bones there to test our faith.
which makes it even more ****ed up, doesnt it? that would mean that god's a prankster, and if you fall for the prank you go to hell. these people also feel that this same god loves them.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:23 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Their FAQ, you want a good laugh you have to read it.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/foru...p;topic=11211.0

Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?"

A: There is a vast ice wall that keeps the water where it is. The ice wall is roughly 150ft high. This also explains why you can find a vast plane of ice when you travel south.

Antarctica as a continent does not exist.

laughing

Old Post May 21st, 2008 06:56 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

has it been confirmed that this isnt satire? please tell me nobody is this stupid.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 07:11 PM