KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Russia v Georgia

Russia v Georgia
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Russia v Georgia

Whats this all about then?

Cool the way they used the Olympics opening as a kind of smoke screen.

I noticed various oil pipelines and some oil port was bombed, looks like the price of fuels going to go up again then.

could this bring us back to a cold war sort of scenario?
After all the USA supports Georgia.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 05:50 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

This could be, a laugh.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 06:07 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

They had a war against each other a few years ago as Georgia is beginning to open up its market to the west and may be involved in military ties with America (America is putting more missile bases in E Europe right now).

During the war, which lasted hours, the Russian hackers (thought to have government ties) basically shut down the entire state of Georgia. People couldn't bank, shop, anything. Stuff that required a computer or internet was totally down. Georgian hackers eventually thwarted the Russians, but never the less, very interesting situation.

I don't know anything about recent bombings?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 06:31 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

A hacking war, interesting.

This one could be a lot bloody by the looks of it. Russian appears to be wanting to put down new democratic countries growing in their area.

According to CNN. "Georgian officials said Russia has mobilized its Black Sea fleet off the coast of Abkhazia, another breakaway Georgian province."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 06:40 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

The Russian state took a fairly large loss of face internationally after the cold war. They almost are referred to as a "former power".

If anything else, it is important to remember that Russia wants that international fear and respect back. I'm very interested in this situation and in other Eastern European states, although I can't imagine the Russian gvt doing anything that can be directly traced back to them. For all of their posturing, Russia still has a lot of internal problems. Not to say they wont strike anyone, more saying they are that much more unpredictable.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:05 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Aug 8th

Aug 9th

shit...

EDIT: actually, lots of stuff on youtube, even stuff from russian state news smile

Last edited by tsilamini on Aug 9th, 2008 at 07:14 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:11 PM
RocasAtoll

This wasn't just a hacker war.

Russian forces are locked in fierce clashes with Georgia inside its breakaway South Ossetia region, reports say, amid fears of all-out war.

Moscow sent armoured units across the border after Georgia moved against Russian-backed separatists.

Russia says 12 of its soldiers are dead, and separatists estimate that 1,400 civilians have died.

Georgia accuses Russia of waging war, and says it has suffered heavy losses in bombing raids, which Russia denies.

Russian tanks have reportedly reached the northern suburbs of the regional capital, Tskhinvali, and there were conflicting claims about who was in control of the city.

"Now our peacekeepers are waging a fierce battle with regular forces from the Georgian army in the southern region of Tskhinvali," a Russian military official was quoted as saying by Moscow-based news agency, Interfax.

After days of exchanging heavy fire with the separatists, Georgian forces moved on Thursday night to regain control of the region, which has had de facto independence since a war against Georgia that ended in 1992.

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili said Russia was at war with his country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7550354.stm

The pipelines were destroyed primarily by Kurdish rebels in Turkey, not by the issues in Georgia.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:12 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

my bad, it was Estonia, not Georgia (another former russian state) which was crippled by Russian hackers

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2...nvicted-estonia

though:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2...hackers-georgia

July 22, 2008: "A distributed denial-of-service attack brought down a government website in Georgia this weekend.

The official site of Georgia's president, Mikheil Saakashvili, was taken down by the attackers on Saturday and Sunday, according to researchers.

The attacks were first recorded in the early hours of Saturday morning and continued into Sunday.

While researchers could not pinpoint the exact source of the attacks, early evidence points to sources within neighbouring Russia."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:22 PM
lil bitchiness
-

What the hell is this shit?!

Has western propaganda machine started working already! Oh those big bad genocidal Russians!! Sheesh!

Georgia (Gruzia) Attacked South Ossetia (which is by the way rightfuly Russian and has been so until communist revlution. Stalin completed the job by giving South Ossetia to Georgia, since he himself was Georgian) not Russia attacked Georgia.

Georgia wanted into NATO so bad because it had planned to attack South Ossetia for a long while and Saakashvili thought he can hide behind his NATO masters and 'scare' Russia.
This is a stuid move by Saakashvili (who by the way is bordering dictator there, up NATO's ass so much only his shoe laces are visible)

NATO summit in Bucharest in March, Germany and France denied stubbornly to accept Georgia as a NATO member. USA was pressuring hard, but simply they denied, because they KNEW what Georgia has been planning for ages.

It is audacity to even suggest that in this whole mess Russia is being ''agressive'' since Georgians took the privilage to attack South Ossetia, destroy part of it and kill civilians.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:55 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

What I don't quiet get is: Are Ossetian part of Georgia ore part of the Russia?

If it is are a part of Georgia then Russia can pull there fingers back, and that shouldn't have happened five minuts ago.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 08:04 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Yeah I'm rooting for Russia in this one. Georgia asked for it.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 08:35 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Im with Russia.

Interesting fact: In The disputed territory The majority of citizens are Russian.

South Ossetians are divided in opinion. a significant number like things and don't want anything to change. A significant number want the Territory to become a Republic

Georgia wants to expand its borders to swallow the territory

Russia wants the Citizens in the Territory to have the opportunity to Make the Descision on their own.

If Russia wanted to bitchslap Georgia it could But it's chosen not to.
The Georgians really should pick their battles Nato is not going to come to their aid

Russia has a stronger hand. it has more to offer to people living in that part of the world than Georgia.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 09:27 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Has western propaganda machine started working already! Oh those big bad genocidal Russians!! Sheesh!

1) I must have missed anyone who had that sentiment in the thread, why so sensitive?

2) of the 5 linked media reports, 2 are not about the issue and of the 3 that are, 2 are from the middle east, making them not western news agencies.

what, exactly, is it that you are talking about?

and thanks for the info smile

EDIT: Just to say, I'm with the citizens of South Ossetia, and personally am fairly sure there are better ways to solve disputes like this than through military power. Its hard to see a good solution if both sides are authoritarians using military force. Boo Russia and Georgia.

Last edited by tsilamini on Aug 9th, 2008 at 09:30 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 09:27 PM
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by inimalist
1) I must have missed anyone who had that sentiment in the thread, why so sensitive?

If you haven't noticed, she loves Russia.

--

I first heard this yesterday morning when I was groggy, and for a splitsecond I actually thought Russia invaded The South.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 09:33 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I first heard this yesterday morning when I was groggy, and for a splitsecond I actually thought Russia invaded The South.

laughing laughing

they can have it wink

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 09:35 PM
RocasAtoll

What the hell is this shit?!

Georgia (Gruzia) Attacked South Ossetia (which is by the way rightfuly Russian and has been so until communist revlution. Stalin completed the job by giving South Ossetia to Georgia, since he himself was Georgian) not Russia attacked Georgia.

Georgia wanted into NATO so bad because it had planned to attack South Ossetia for a long while and Saakashvili thought he can hide behind his NATO masters and 'scare' Russia.
This is a stuid move by Saakashvili (who by the way is bordering dictator there, up NATO's ass so much only his shoe laces are visible)

NATO summit in Bucharest in March, Germany and France denied stubbornly to accept Georgia as a NATO member. USA was pressuring hard, but simply they denied, because they KNEW what Georgia has been planning for ages.

It is audacity to even suggest that in this whole mess Russia is being ''agressive'' since Georgians took the privilage to attack South Ossetia, destroy part of it and kill civilians.

I'm sorry, but which link blamed it on Russia?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 10:10 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by RocasAtoll
I'm sorry, but which link blamed it on Russia?

I'm sorry, you seem to not have read any of your 'news', as of late, have you.
Each source citing Russia as an agressor.
Originally posted by inimalist

2) of the 5 linked media reports, 2 are not about the issue and of the 3 that are, 2 are from the middle east, making them not western news agencies.

what, exactly, is it that you are talking about?

and thanks for the info smile

EDIT: Just to say, I'm with the citizens of South Ossetia, and personally am fairly sure there are better ways to solve disputes like this than through military power. Its hard to see a good solution if both sides are authoritarians using military force. Boo Russia and Georgia.

It wasn't directed at you personally or anyone else, but the news which are circulating.

Dictatorial lying news agencies spoon feeding bullshit.
Frankly, I am yet to read news where Russians are not a psychoathic civilian bombers.

This issue is so complex and it is coninuously being simplified in the news.

Here come random people from random places giving their views on the situation -

"They are killing civilians, women and children, with heavy artillery and rockets," Sarmat Laliyev, 28, told AP.

Georgia asks for help from America, as they are allies. USA would be wise to stay out of Russia's way and play this diplomatically for once.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 10:44 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

This issue is so complex and it is coninuously being simplified in the news.

indeed, they tend to do that, I can understand your frustration, I get like that whenever I read stuff about the middle east

Dictatorial lying news agencies spoon feeding bullshit.

You should watch Al Jazeera wink

and not to argue, but couldn't the same be said of any Russian news agency?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 10:50 PM
RocasAtoll

I'm sorry, you seem to not have read any of your 'news', as of late, have you.
Each source citing Russia as an agressor.

With the one I gave, it doesn't identify Russia as the aggressor, so I don't know what you're on about.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 10:59 PM
tsilamini

hey Lil:

I'm just reading up on some of this stuff. It seems like South Ossetia has been fighting for independence ever since Georgia broke off from the USSR, and according to the ever trustworthy Wiki, it goes back even to the early 20s.

What do you think the Russian angle is here? are they really supporting an independence movement or are they looking to consolidate power? It seems like such a small victory for them to win if all they want is power over the city, as they pretty much dominate the region anyways, but on the other hand, and this could be my western bias, Russia doesn't remind me of a pro-democratic independence supporting group, I mean, didn't they oppose the sovereignty of Kosovo?

Is this like the American funding of groups during the Red scare do you think, where they are willing to get into bed with anyone who hates the Americans like the Americans supported anti-democratic movements in latin America?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 11:19 PM