KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » invisible cloaks

invisible cloaks
Started by: zbucsz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
zbucsz
Pimp

invisible cloaks

Scientists have taken another step toward the goal of rendering objects invisible using high-tech cloaks that redirect light.

Researchers for the first time demonstrated that a new material can bend visible light the wrong way in three dimensional tests. It builds on research that cloaks objects in the microwave wavelength.

The research, announced today, will be detailed later this week in the journals Nature and Science.

The metamaterial, as it is called, produces what's known as negative refraction of visible light. That means light is made to travel in the opposite direction from how it normally should bend when passing through a material. A common example is how a pencil will appear to bend upward when half-submerged in a glass of water. In the new work, researchers make the light appear to bend the other way.

Metamaterials are artificially engineered structures that have "extraordinary optical properties that do not exist in nature," the researchers write in Science. "They can alter the propagation of electromagnetic waves, resulting in negative refraction, subwavelength imaging and cloaking."

Visible light is just one type of electromagnetic radiation, a spectrum that includes everything from radio waves to X-rays and more.

Until now, the effectiveness of the cloaking has been demonstrated only in thin, two-dimensional materials.

Now at a National Science Foundation lab at the University of California, Berkeley, Jason Valentine, Jie Yao, Xiang Zhang and others have create a multilayered, "fishnet structure" that "unambiguously exhibits negative refractive index," they write.

"This straightforward and elegant demonstration enhances our ability to mould and harness light at will," according to a statement from the journal Nature.

Other research has looked into using plasmons - tiny electronic excitations on the surfaces of some metals - to cancel out the visible light or other radiation coming from an object and effectively cloak it.

Sci-fi fans know that cloaking technology made Romulan spaceships disappear in Star Trek. Among the real applications pondered for the future of real-world cloaking technology: stealth military devices and new medical techniques.

- evil face Wish i had one of these in highschool.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 06:58 PM
zbucsz is currently offline Click here to Send zbucsz a Private Message Find more posts by zbucsz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: invisible cloaks

Or you could have just posted a link.

http://news.icm.ac.uk/technology/%E...to-reality/608/

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 08:28 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I want one! shifty

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 09:58 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Whoa, I found a picture of it online. It's very effective.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 10:06 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: invisible cloaks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by zbucsz
cancel out the visible light or other radiation coming from an object and effectively cloak it.

Metamaterials I get but that doesn't even remotely make sense . . . the object would just turn black.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 10:10 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Invisible cloak at night then...lol

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 10:11 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Re: invisible cloaks

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Metamaterials I get but that doesn't even remotely make sense . . . the object would just turn black.

It would appear that it simply scatters light in a less than expected direction. It probably looks rather funny and confusing.

I'm assuming it has an "optical illusion" type of effect.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 11:48 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: invisible cloaks

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Then it would be invisible at night, duh!

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 11:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Harry Potter fans unite!!!

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 12:10 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I've heard of reflective material...........hmm, but not to this ........yet science is always surprising us........

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 12:25 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I want one.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 01:03 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Let us unite.........Hehe

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 01:05 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: invisible cloaks

Originally posted by dadudemon
It would appear that it simply scatters light in a less than expected direction. It probably looks rather funny and confusing.

I'm assuming it has an "optical illusion" type of effect.

Metamaterials would make you pretty much invisible by letting the light flow around you.
An Optical Phase Array would give a weird confusing look by disrupting the light as it goes.
Using plasmons to "cancel out the visible light" would just turn it black. I assume that it's just a mistake in the description of how it works but I nerdlulzed when I read that.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 02:24 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

And this is what's being created while other matter need to to be tended too. Hooray. Harry Potter fans will be upset they can't purchase one for their cosplay.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 03:06 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote