KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Immortality: Can it be achieved?

Immortality: Can it be achieved?
Started by: Markus Corvinus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Markus Corvinus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Immortality: Can it be achieved?

I've read up on how scientists are trying to make humans immortal but three things come to mind.

1. Can it be achieved.

2. Who wants to actually be immortal? A prolonged lifespan would be nice, but immortality? I'm not sure if I'd want to be around "forever."

3. Wouldn't this make our planet even more chaotic? Think about it. Humans get a hold of this type of power, and of course, the bad people begin all kinds of killing sprees and the like.

What do you all think about this particular subject?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:30 AM
Markus Corvinus is currently offline Click here to Send Markus Corvinus a Private Message Find more posts by Markus Corvinus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

How could there be killing sprees if everyone is immortal?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:32 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

The bad people....

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:34 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

But I mean, how are they planning on killing immortal people?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:35 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markus Corvinus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
How could there be killing sprees if everyone is immortal?

Immortality and invulnerability are two separate things. Just because one is immortal does not mean he can't be killed.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:40 AM
Markus Corvinus is currently offline Click here to Send Markus Corvinus a Private Message Find more posts by Markus Corvinus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

....bad people?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:49 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markus Corvinus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are you so fascinated by the phrase "bad people?" It means people are not intent on doing the right thing. Do you understand now?

"Major, a great writer once said; "There are clefts in the rock where we see the back part of God and tremble." There's no training for what you saw out there because it's not an enemy that confronts us. It's a new power, let loose through a crack in the cliff of nature's mystery."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:52 AM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Markus Corvinus
Why are you so fascinated by the phrase "bad people?" It means people are not intent on doing the right thing. Do you understand now?

Ha! Bad people....

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 06:33 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Bad people do bad things, but do they do them badly?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 06:55 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

I would definitely make myself immortal if I had the capability. I dont see any reason not to, if I ever got bored of life a few centuries down the road I could always just kill myself. We talked about this whole concept in one of my classes last year, ts really the ultimate form of existentialism. As for making life more chaotic, I almost think it might be the opposite, as people would literally have to live with the consequences of their actions for eternity. I'd probably be a lot more dedication to conserving nature, for example, if I knew that I would have to personally live with the burden of an overly polluted planet. And I would definitely not want to kill anyone, as spending hundreds of years in prison is hardly appealing. The biggest issue I see is overpopulation, but I think that you could easily get people to agree to sterilization in return for immortality.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 07:27 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Immortality and invulnerability are two separate things. Just because one is immortal does not mean he can't be killed.
Um, no...eternal youth/not dieing of old age or disease and invulnerability are two different things. Immortality is immortality. But you specifically mean biological immortality, which is different than immortality, something that you seem to think different about.

But either way, I'd take an extended youth to my life, but I'd want to die, I would imagine, sooner or later.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Last edited by Darth Macabre on Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 10:53 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

well if you consider the fact that atoms donīt contain any matter, but are a form of energy (maybe caused by the higgs). Then we probably are immortal, but not in a material sense stay as one body forever sense.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 01:42 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

.....right thing?

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 02:32 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Robtard
Bad people do bad things, but do they do them badly?

Actually, they do them well. laughing

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 02:56 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markus Corvinus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Um, no...eternal youth/not dieing of old age or disease and invulnerability are two different things. Immortality is immortality. But you specifically mean biological immortality, which is different than immortality, something that you seem to think different about.

But either way, I'd take an extended youth to my life, but I'd want to die, I would imagine, sooner or later.

More or less, that's what I meant.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 08:54 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Immortality: Can it be achieved?

I've read up on how scientists are trying to make humans immortal but three things come to mind.

1. Can it be achieved.

2. Who wants to actually be immortal? A prolonged lifespan would be nice, but immortality? I'm not sure if I'd want to be around "forever."

3. Wouldn't this make our planet even more chaotic? Think about it. Humans get a hold of this type of power, and of course, the bad people begin all kinds of killing sprees and the like.

What do you all think about this particular subject?

1. not yet but i belive it may be possible. Perhaps through cloning organs you could create youthful body parts for older people, we can already replace many parts of a body, the more important parts like Brain is difficult however so it may be a long time.

2. Very few people who are not massively ignorent

3. Its not power, your just not dieing of old age, although I think there will be chaos, just not the type your thinking. Ime more thinking along hte lines of Overpopulation, economical breaks in soceity, people being unsatisfied with life etc.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 08:57 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Immortality may one day be a possibility with cybernetics. Nano technology is advancing rapidly. So, perhaps a thousand years from now when we have the technology of rapid regeneration with the aid of nanotechnology, immortality will be a reality. However, everything dies, nothing is constant. I don't see immortality ever being achieved. It's probably not far fetched to believe that we can one day apply technology to our bodies that can sustain our bones and organs for a vastly extended period of time but we don't even know how our electrical system or brain, functions, entirely. So, we have a long way to go before we can even fathom how immortality may be achieved. I think starting on brain cell regeneration is probably the best place to start though haha.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 10:29 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

from a physical standpoint...in terms of the human body...i doubt it could be made to last forever...and i know this sounds cliched...but if you could transfer all memories etc from a person to a digital format...and everything that makes up a personality...who's to say a person couldn't live on in some form indefinitely

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 10:38 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

havent looked it up on google but I seem to remember something about several different/seperate research groups that were all working on the same thing using mice on diets/supplements etc and could make the mice live to 1000 years old (mice years) by only eating just a tiny piece of lettuce each day or something like that???and humans could be next (human years...lol)....this was like 10 years ago I heard about this...guy I knew had this stuff recorded on vhs...the main group who made the most progress was funded by extremely rich old people...lol...dont remember much more about it though

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Nov 20th, 2008 04:13 PM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
havent looked it up on google but I seem to remember something about several different/seperate research groups that were all working on the same thing using mice on diets/supplements etc and could make the mice live to 1000 years old (mice years) by only eating just a tiny piece of lettuce each day or something like that???and humans could be next (human years...lol)....this was like 10 years ago I heard about this...guy I knew had this stuff recorded on vhs...the main group who made the most progress was funded by extremely rich old people...lol...dont remember much more about it though

If I'm thinking what your thinking, it has something to do with low calorie diets increasing life span.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2008 05:24 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote