KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Pirates (modern day)

Pirates (modern day)
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Pirates (modern day)

If find this rather baffling, some pirates steal a massive Supertanker full of oil, and instead of sending in some spec ops or ex spec ops mercenaries to kick some butt, they are negotiating with these people.

With todays technology, ie the ships positioning beacon or Satellite photography its not going to be difficult to find is it.

Its not as if its the first time this has happened either, so am I missing something or are the owners, or governments no doing enough to protect their goods.

If I was an owner IŽd employ a bunch of ex military folk with the necassary hardware to protect my vessel.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 05:54 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Pirates (modern day)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
If find this rather baffling, some pirates steal a massive Supertanker full of oil, and instead of sending in some spec ops or ex spec ops mercenaries to kick some butt, they are negotiating with these people.

With todays technology, ie the ships positioning beacon or Satellite photography its not going to be difficult to find is it.

Its not as if its the first time this has happened either, so am I missing something or are the owners, or governments no doing enough to protect their goods.

If I was an owner IŽd employ a bunch of ex military folk with the necassary hardware to protect my vessel.

Yeah, what possible problem could there be with a having heavy artillery on a ship full of oil?

The UN is sending battleships to help some shipping lanes but I think it's mainly a problem of the sheer number of ships on the sea at once. There's no way to know where pirates are going to attack.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 05:58 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

the official line is negotiating..wouldn't be surprised if there was a seals or sbs team about to bullet rape some 1 legged parrot fiddlers right now

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 06:04 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Re: Re: Pirates (modern day)

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, what possible problem could there be with a having heavy artillery on a ship full of oil?

Oh dear what a silly comment, there are various other military options which can guard any sort of ship.

I think the "too many ships" problem is the main obstacle, too many to secure and too many who could be pirates.

nevertheless an odd situation to have in this day.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 06:14 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

yes, slaughtering poor people using the most advanced modern military weapons!

that has never had negative repercussions.

I'll say it, I'm ****in happy they are negotiating and not killing.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 07:31 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I suppose helping the area around Somalia to be more livable, ie stop poverty, starving & general anarchy would also help the situation.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 08:11 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I suppose helping the area around Somalia to be more livable, ie stop poverty, starving & general anarchy would also help the situation.

yeah...uuuhh...we tried that already...didn't work out too well though

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 09:07 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by inimalist
yes, slaughtering poor people using the most advanced modern military weapons!

that has never had negative repercussions.

I'll say it, I'm ****in happy they are negotiating and not killing.

poor people?...hardly...they've pirated $75,000,000 in the last 3 years...and they've just got a quarter of a days production of oil for the whole of Saudi Arabia

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 09:09 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by jaden101
yeah...uuuhh...we tried that already...didn't work out too well though

you mean stationing military units there to destabilize local militia leaders?

poor people?...hardly...they've pirated $75,000,000 in the last 3 years...and they've just got a quarter of a days production of oil for the whole of Saudi Arabia

and you think it is the pirates who see 75m for that oil?

I'm sure someone is getting rich, I'd put money on it not being the people in the fishing boats going after tankers

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 09:57 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

and you think it is the pirates who see 75m for that oil?

I'm sure someone is getting rich, I'd put money on it not being the people in the fishing boats going after tankers

they've already made the 75mill....minus the oil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7623329.stm

have a read about so called pirate town...Puntland and Eyl in Somalia

quote:
you mean stationing military units there to destabilize local militia leaders?

no...i mean the west's arrogant notion of "nation building"...which is what was tried in Somalia...the military aspect that led to the black hawk down incident was a relatively small part of a very large failure

Last edited by jaden101 on Nov 25th, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 10:19 PM
tsilamini

they've already made the 75mill....minus the oil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7623329.stm

have a read about so called pirate town...Puntland and Eyl in Somalia

I have. Al Jazeera sent a crew to interview some "pirates" (the boat they were on did get busted by the coast guard). Neither they or the town they came from seemed to have much money.

I'm sure, much like all organized crime, the people doing the heavy lifting are likely not making more than subsistence.

It would be like saying Opium farmers are rich. Of course they aren't

no...i mean the west's arrogant notion of "nation building"...which is what was tried in Somalia...the military aspect that led to the black hawk down incident was a relatively small part of a very large failure

on this we agree, though I might say that the idea that "nation building" and military force can be so separated is illusory. Nation building, imho, is an extension of or excuse for military policy.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 11:04 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Doesn't this stem from Somalia's horrendous living conditions and the state of near anarchy? I'd love to have some concrete facts- this is a topic I pulled for extemp and I had no idea what to say. I talked about Obama's 1st 100 days in office instead.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 11:11 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

interesting fact: It is arguable that living conditions in Somalia were better before the Islamic Courts took some degree of power.

The destabilized anarchy was better than stabilized international conflict, lol smile

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 11:14 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have. Al Jazeera sent a crew to interview some "pirates" (the boat they were on did get busted by the coast guard). Neither they or the town they came from seemed to have much money.

I'm sure, much like all organized crime, the people doing the heavy lifting are likely not making more than subsistence.

It would be like saying Opium farmers are rich. Of course they aren't

well the BBC seem to disagree...as does the president of Puntland

as does Reuters

http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnJOE4AM003.html

quote:
on this we agree, though I might say that the idea that "nation building" and military force can be so separated is illusory. Nation building, imho, is an extension of or excuse for military policy

i'm not saying they are seperate but nation building is an entirely different policy than military intervention...and i'm not even saying nation building is always bad...because south korean after the korean war is a great example of what it can achieve (read the Gregg Brazinsky if you can get a hold of it)

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 11:14 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Re: Pirates (modern day)

Oh dear what a silly comment, there are various other military options which can guard any sort of ship.

I think the "too many ships" problem is the main obstacle, too many to secure and too many who could be pirates.

Such as? Because last time I checked, a water cannon or bright lights aren't a match for an AK-47 or an RPG.

Some shipping lines do employ security, but that is expensive, so many can't afford it or are willing to spend the expense on something they most likely will not need.

It's also the policy of most shipping lines to not fight back, as the pirates are more likely to kill/harm the crew while looting.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 12:06 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

well the BBC seem to disagree...as does the president of Puntland

as does Reuters

http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnJOE4AM003.html

ya, well, i totally put my foot in my mouth there, lol

The article is really interesting, and I found a couple more Al Jazeera shorts that were saying largely what you were. I think I saw the rag tag looking pirates and assumed they were the bottom in some hierarchical criminal organization, much like how opium farming works.

To be honest, I actually didn't realize they were ransoming the oil back, I thought they were going to either ship it out through Nigeria, or like the article said, Yemen. Again, this is because I thought they were part of a typical criminal organization.

My fascination in this phenomena has skyrocketed, thank you smile lol

i'm not saying they are seperate but nation building is an entirely different policy than military intervention...and i'm not even saying nation building is always bad...because south korean after the korean war is a great example of what it can achieve (read the Gregg Brazinsky if you can get a hold of it)

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Korea at all, but imho nation building is a really illusory term. Governments get to build a single nation, the presumption that any nation has the right to build another seems like the initiation of aggression to me. Again, I'm not familiar with Korea, so ya, if I'm missing something, please tell.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 12:12 AM
jinXed by JaNx

do you think they still search for buried treasures?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 03:25 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

No, they steal the buried treasure some other people have already dug up, oil.

having a team of Mercs with some M16 and Missile Launchers woulnŽt be a problem & woulndŽt endanger the oil onboard. Seeing as the SaudiŽs own the ship they wouldnŽt have problems getting the hardware either. Putting a destroyer type massive gattling gun visible on deck could also prove as a deterrent.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 10:36 AM
Arcluce
The Master of Darkness

Re: Re: Re: Pirates (modern day)

I would have to say the major problem is the routes. The simple solution is that we can just blow them to kindom come. It's like this, once a thief always a thief. They do not need second chances, because they made their choice. Sure I'm harsh, but stealing a ship full of oil. I might as well steal an unsharpened pencil from someone.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 07:29 PM
Arcluce is currently offline Click here to Send Arcluce a Private Message Find more posts by Arcluce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Re: Pirates (modern day)

Problem with that is, what country will let a boat filled with armed foreign mercenaries into their port?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 09:12 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote