KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 4,000 women run for office in Iraq

4,000 women run for office in Iraq
Started by: KidRock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KidRock

4,000 women run for office in Iraq

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast...omen/index.html

What a shame..we are totally losing this war sad

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 12:21 AM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

"Regardless of the votes their candidates receive, parties are required to give every third seat to a woman, according to a report this week from the International Crisis Group."

Wow, as if Iraq didn't need something else running it into the ground.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 12:23 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
"Regardless of the votes their candidates receive, parties are required to give every third seat to a woman, according to a report this week from the International Crisis Group."

Wow, as if Iraq didn't need something else running it into the ground.
I do agree, sucky law.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 01:55 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not quite grasping the concept of democracy with that are they?

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 11:31 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Neither is getting a black man to become president or prime minister just to be politically correct.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 12:01 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

At least they had the choice who to vote for...forcing every third seat to go to a woman is not democratic....expecially if someone else got more votes than them.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 12:10 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Neither is getting a black man to become president or prime minister just to be politically correct.
Yeah, that would be bad, don't think that happened anywhere recently though.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 02:51 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I think you guys are missing the point of forcing this on them.

However, I do see how this, to the definition and even down to the moral interpretation of a democratic electorate, is not pure democracy.

But do you guys see why something like this might actually be a better form of democratic republic? In such a heavily patriarchal society, fairly representing the population is likely to NOT occur for women.

I say, "You go girl!" and f*ck those a**hole male chauvinists. Have any of you had the chance to become cultured with any Arab culture? What about conservative Muslim's from the Arab world? Their culture is different. Of course, you guys can argue that who ever they elect is who they wanted and they shouldn't have a candidate shoved down their throat like that. I agree, only in definition. Yeah, that's right, we have a black president because we were forced to go to the same schools as each other, etc.

That's right, shut the f*ck up.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 07:21 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
backdoorman
'cause I'm loose

Re: 4,000 women run for office in Iraq

Originally posted by KidRock
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast...omen/index.html

What a shame..we are totally losing this war sad

Thank you America for bringing democracy to the Iraqis peoples.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 08:16 PM
backdoorman is currently offline Click here to Send backdoorman a Private Message Find more posts by backdoorman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Re: Re: 4,000 women run for office in Iraq

Originally posted by backdoorman
Thank you America for bringing democracy to the Iraqis peoples.

We are terrible, we should have never done this. These people get the right to vote for their leader? We are losing this war completely.

they would be much happier getting gassed and murdered by a dictator.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 08:33 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by KidRock
We are terrible, we should have never done this. These people get the right to vote for their leader? We are losing this war completely.

they would be much happier getting gassed and murdered by a dictator.

As long as 1/3rd of that leader is female

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 08:34 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
But do you guys see why something like this might actually be a better form of democratic republic?

Yes but only because I don't see fascism as automatically evil.

If they want to play democracy there shouldn't be a policy to explicitly ignore people's votes (the electoral college in the US at least takes them into account). In fact this will probably set women back a few steps in Iraq because the ones that get into office this way probably won't be very good and will almost certainly be reviled by the people that were actually voted for as well as the people who's votes were rendered totally and arbitrarily meaningless.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:16 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

If they want to play democracy there shouldn't be a policy to explicitly ignore people's votes (the electoral college in the US at least takes them into account). In fact this will probably set women back a few steps in Iraq because the ones that get into office this way probably won't be very good and will almost certainly be reviled by the people that were actually voted for as well as the people who's votes were rendered totally and arbitrarily meaningless.

Wow. You have no faith in Iraqi women. laughing

They can't be THAT bad, can they? lol

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

But do you guys see why something like this might actually be a better form of democratic republic?

No

Yeah, that's right, we have a black president because we were forced to go to the same schools as each other, etc.

May be true. Does not relate to this though. It's one thing to stop government discrimination, it's another to sponsor it (as they do by this law).

A quick overview actually tells me that creating government discrimination is actually almost the opposite of abolishing it

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:21 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Wow. You have no faith in Iraqi women. laughing

They can't be THAT bad, can they? lol

You're picking one point out of several reasons I gave that this is a terrible idea. And yes, they can be that bad, some of them will be that bad and because of this law it will be blamed on them being women rather than any actual flaws.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:24 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
No

Not my fault you lack the ability to explore multiple perspectives.

May be true. Does not relate to this though. It's one thing to stop government discrimination, it's another to sponsor it (as they do by this law).

Are you aware of the intentions of such a policy?

A quick overview actually tells me that creating government discrimination is actually almost the opposite of abolishing it

AHA! So this is where you're logic is flawed.

Here's a simple scenario for you. Common treatment of women sucks. Women lack a voice in government. Society and government are run by men. Therefore, women don't get a voice in government and society remains stagnant...even when pro-women men try to speak up because society "feels" more "comfortable" in the static.

Radical change comes to the land and government. Loud and clear, part of that change is echoed many times of the female oppression. Sensing that in a world overwhelmingly dominated by men, women still do not stand a chance at getting elected to office or even improving their hierarchical position, a way is paved for women to be forcefully elevated in status, if only in name. Sounds vaguely familiar to forcing whites and blacks to go to government run schools, doesn't it? Sounds similar to affirmative action, doesn't it?

Now, this is just one perspective into Arab women's plight. There are many such as "This is a pollution of what democracy really should be."

Great. Democracy would work wonderfully among a group of perfectly altruistic and intelligent/educated people, wouldn't it?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:45 PM
Bardock42

Not my fault you lack the ability to explore multiple perspectives.

It wouldn't be. Though I do have the ability to explore multiple perspectives, but that doesn't mean that I think this form of "democracy" is better...

Are you aware of the intentions of such a policy?

Yes.

AHA! So this is where you're logic is flawed.

I generally don't take the opinions of people that say silly things like that very seriously, but I guess I will see where you are going.

I jest of course, on both parts, but really, it should be "your".

Here's a simple scenario for you. Common treatment of women sucks. Women lack a voice in government. Society and government are run by men. Therefore, women don't get a voice in government and society remains stagnant...even when pro-women men try to speak up because society "feels" more "comfortable" in the static.

Radical change comes to the land and government. Loud and clear, part of that change is echoed many times of the female oppression. Sensing that in a world overwhelmingly dominated by men, women still do not stand a chance at getting elected to office or even improving their hierarchical position, a way is paved for women to be forcefully elevated in status, if only in name. Sounds vaguely familiar to forcing whites and blacks to go to government run schools, doesn't it? Sounds similar to affirmative action, doesn't it?

No, it still does not. It's a different approach, with, presumably similar goals. Still has to be judged by its own merit.

Now, this is just one perspective into Arab women's plight. There are many such as "This is a pollution of what democracy really should be."

Great. Democracy would work wonderfully among a group of perfectly altruistic and intelligent/educated people, wouldn't it?

I guess. Personally not a big fan of the dictatorship by the majority anyways.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:52 PM
dadudemon

You're picking one point out of several reasons I gave that this is a terrible idea. And yes, they can be that bad, some of them will be that bad and because of this law it will be blamed on them being women rather than any actual flaws.

You're being much too serious about my comment. Did my post need another smilie or another "lol"? I don't know what I could have done to make it less serious.

But if you want to take it this direction, no matter WHAT happens, they WILL be reviled. Anytime there is change, groaning, disdain, and other bullshit like it will be had. America still has some resistance racial residue from times past. I suspect that that same type of "residue" will remain in a more active voice far longer than it did here in America.

Last edited by dadudemon on Feb 1st, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 09:53 PM
dadudemon

It wouldn't be. Though I do have the ability to explore multiple perspectives, but that doesn't mean that I think this form of "democracy" is better...

You certainly have not shown a very thorough understanding of this policy's existence, now have you? Behold, the reason for my comment. (Which, obviously was jest. Surely you're not THAT much of a dumbass?)

I generally don't take the opinions of people that say silly things like that very seriously, but I guess I will see where you are going.

I jest of course, on both parts, but really, it should be "your".

Ahhh. One of "those." Says the person who couldn't spell "exaggeration" correctly after many correct uses. For shame. For shame. At least I can blame mine on retardation.

No, it still does not. It's a different approach, with, presumably similar goals. Still has to be judged by its own merit.

Seriously, you truly lack the ability of insight. I take back what I said earlier about it being jest. You really do lack the ability to think from multiple perspectives. You're just as much of a closed minded conservative as the Arabs, aren't you?

I seriously did not know that about you. no expression

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 10:00 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

It tends to have a couple of advantages over dictatorship by the few. Mainly that those idiots get exactly what they deserve.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 10:04 PM