KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » French pool bans 'burkini' swim

French pool bans 'burkini' swim
Started by: inimalist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tsilamini

BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm

quote:
French officials have banned a Muslim woman from swimming in a public pool while wearing a swimsuit that covers her entire body.

The woman had swum in July in the pool in Emerainville, east of Paris, in the "burkini" - a loose-fitting garment resembling a wetsuit with a hood.

But staff stopped her from swimming in August, citing hygiene concerns.

It comes as the government examines ways to limit burka use after the president said they reduced dignity.

France is home to Western Europe's largest population of Muslims, with about 5 million living there.

At the pool, staff "reminded [the woman] of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed," pool management official Daniel Guillaume was quoted by AFP as saying.

The woman was a French convert to Islam, and had bought the swimsuit in Dubai so that she would not have to uncover herself to go swimming.

"Quite simply, this is segregation," she said, according to Le Parisien newspaper, which identified her only as Carole.

"I will fight to try to change things. And if I see that the battle is lost, I cannot rule out leaving France."

Emerainville Mayor Alain Kelyor said "all this has nothing to do with Islam", adding that the swimsuit was "not an Islamic swimsuit" and that "that type of suit does not exist in the Koran".

'Prisoners behind netting'

In June the French National Assembly appointed 32 MPs to a six-month fact-finding mission to look at ways of restricting burka use.

In a major policy speech that month, President Nicolas Sarkozy said the burka - a garment covering women from head to toe - reduced them to servitude and undermined their dignity.

"We cannot accept to have in our country women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from all social life, deprived of identity," Mr Sarkozy told a special session of parliament in Versailles.

In 2004, France banned the Islamic headscarves in its state schools.

Isn't France supposed to be the birth place of liberty?

lol, so like, the idea that Muslim women need a voice and liberation is not at all incorrect, but didn't America's little incursion into the Middle East sort of prove it isn't wise to try and force these things on people?

Looking at the story, the woman almost assuredly feels that the Burka is her choice, which in a free country it should be.

A good image of what the "burkini" looks like:
http://matin.branchez-vous.com/nouv.../08/burkini.jpg

Not that it really matters, but I used to be a lifeguard, and in my expert opinion, that constitutes a bathing suit.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 08:42 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: French pool bans 'burkini' swim

France is going to get another Islamic riot.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 08:49 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

How is that not a bathing suit? It's basically a onepiece with a cap.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 08:52 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I totally support this.

Just because France (or any other democratic country) is a democracy does not mean everyone can come in shit on it how they please with random demands.

Because French woman cannot walk around in a bikini in many Muslim seaside at all. Why? Because it is the law of that country.
It may be French women's choice to wear a bikini, but the law says no, and therefore that should be respected.
French woman will therefore go to a beach where bikini is acceptable wear.

If you don't like dressing up in and non-pajama-ninja clothes then one should move to a place where that kind of clothing is mandatory and/or accepted.

Go French....you sill bastards.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 08:53 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
How is that not a bathing suit? It's basically a onepiece with a cap.

Some public pools do not allow diving gear, ie wetsuits, air-tank, flippers etc.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:10 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Because French woman cannot walk around in a bikini in many Muslim seaside at all. Why? Because it is the law of that country.

we should oppress people's freedom because the nations they may have escaped from to live here oppress people's freedom...?

also, the woman is a french citizen who converted to Islam, making her country France.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeaaahhhh, take it off.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:19 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by inimalist
we should oppress people's freedom because the nations they may have escaped from to live here oppress people's freedom...?

also, the woman is a french citizen who converted to Islam, making her country France.

Even better she's French! She is obliged to follow her country's laws. End of discussion. And if she doesn't like France any more - she can always immigrate.
Like I have, when I stopped liking England.
Instead of demanding all the shit I hate there, I just moved.

How is it ''opressing freedom'' - if they 'escaped' from ''opressing countries'', I hardly think that dress should be the problem of adapting.

Hmm..stoned to death, or not look like a ninja...hmmm? Hard one, that.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:26 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

I totally support this.

Just because France (or any other democratic country) is a democracy does not mean everyone can come in shit on it how they please with random demands.

It may be French women's choice to wear a bikini, but the law says no, and therefore that should be respected.
French woman will therefore go to a beach where bikini is acceptable wear.

If you don't like dressing up in and non-pajama-ninja clothes then one should move to a place where that kind of clothing is mandatory and/or accepted.

Go French....you sill bastards.

imo your justification seems to be kind of weak. from what i gather from your post youre saying that what france is doing is okay simply because thats the law? if so and i hate to use this as an example because of how extreme it is but would you say that not allowing someone entry to a building because of their skin color or putting people in extermination camps because of their culture is justified by it being the law? in my opinion having the power to do something doesnt make it right.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:35 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

"But staff stopped her from swimming in August, citing hygiene concerns."

Makes sense, as something like would probably breed bacteria, especially if she doesn't wax, shave or trim her pubic area or anal region.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:37 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Robtard
"But staff stopped her from swimming in August, citing hygiene concerns."

Makes sense, as something like would probably breed bacteria, especially if she doesn't wax, shave or trim her pubic area or anal region.

She's a muslim, so she does now.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:40 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

She's a muslim, so she does now.

Islam supports waxing/shaving/trimming the genitals and anus from a religious standpoint?

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:41 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Islam supports waxing/shaving/trimming the genitals and anus from a religious standpoint?

Yes. It is obligatory in Islam. Read the Qu'ran.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:42 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: French pool bans 'burkini' swim

Originally posted by inimalist
BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm

Isn't France supposed to be the birth place of liberty?

lol, so like, the idea that Muslim women need a voice and liberation is not at all incorrect, but didn't America's little incursion into the Middle East sort of prove it isn't wise to try and force these things on people?

Looking at the story, the woman almost assuredly feels that the Burka is her choice, which in a free country it should be.

A good image of what the "burkini" looks like:
http://matin.branchez-vous.com/nouv.../08/burkini.jpg

Not that it really matters, but I used to be a lifeguard, and in my expert opinion, that constitutes a bathing suit.

So not only is she not entitled to wear what she wants but then pass her as dirty.

Friggin two-face Europeans and they have the audacity to call Americans paranoid.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:43 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Even better she's French! She is obliged to follow her country's laws. End of discussion. And if she doesn't like France any more - she can always immigrate.
Like I have, when I stopped liking England.
Instead of demanding all the shit I hate there, I just moved.

How is it ''opressing freedom'' - if they 'escaped' from ''opressing countries'', I hardly think that dress should be the problem of adapting.

Hmm..stoned to death, or not look like a ninja...hmmm? Hard one, that.

God, if only someone had explained that to the people who fought the American or French revolutions.

All they had to do to get their own freedom was leave.

converted

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:44 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I've read sections, just not that one it seems.

Can you show me where? Not that I think you're lying, just curios. Does this apply for men too?

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:45 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
imo your justification seems to be kind of weak. from what i gather from your post youre saying that what france is doing is okay simply because thats the law? if so and i hate to use this as an example because of how extreme it is but would you say that not allowing someone entry to a building because of their skin color or putting people in extermination camps because of their culture is justified by it being the law? in my opinion having the power to do something doesnt make it right.

That is just ridiculous, and no it is not the same nor can it be compared.
Race and religion are not the same thing and the law is there for a reason.
What is this ridiculous shit anyway? I am a minority and I adapted perfectly to where I was, maybe I am missing an opportunity to milk western countries and play the ethnic/racial card to project my obnoxiousness further.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:48 PM
tsilamini

What is this ridiculous shit anyway? I am a minority and I adapted perfectly to where I was, maybe I am missing an opportunity to milk western countries and play the ethnic/racial card to project my obnoxiousness further.

you are in Canada

it is part of our constitution

I'm not even kidding

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:49 PM
lil bitchiness
-

I've read sections, just not that one it seems.

Can you show me where? Not that I think you're lying, just curios. Does this apply for men too?

Nope, not to men. Just women. Let me get the copy out, see if I can dig it out.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 09:50 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

[B]That is just ridiculous, and no it is not the same nor can it be compared.
Race and religion are not the same thing and the law is there for a reason.

religion can be considered a culture though which is something that the jews were opressed and exterminated for.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 10:21 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote