KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Kim Dae-jung dies at 85

Kim Dae-jung dies at 85
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Kim Dae-jung dies at 85

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3245660...ws-asiapacific/

quote:
SEOUL, South Korea - Kim Dae-jung — who survived assassination attempts and a death sentence during his years as a dissident to become president of South Korea, and whose unflagging efforts to reconcile with communist North Korea earned him the Nobel Peace Prize — died Tuesday, hospital officials said. He was 85.

Kim, who had been hospitalized with pneumonia since last month, died shortly after 1:40 p.m., said Lee Sung-man, a spokesman for Severance Hospital in Seoul. The hospital did not cite an exact cause of death.

South Korean leaders, from friends to former foes, had been paying their respects for days at the hospital to a man whose epic career spanned South Korea's political upheaval, from the decades of harsh authoritarian rule to its transformation into a full-fledged democracy.

As a pro-democracy opposition lawmaker, Kim built a reputation as a passionate champion of human rights and democracy who fought against South Korea's military dictatorships.

He survived several suspected assassination attempts, including a dramatic 1973 abduction at a Tokyo hotel, allegedly by South Korean agents.

‘Sunshine Policy’
And as president from 1998-2003, he was architect of the "Sunshine Policy" of reaching out to wartime rival North Korea as a way to encourage reconciliation.

His efforts led to an unprecedented thaw in relations with the North and culminated in a historic North-South summit — the first on the divided peninsula — and a jubilant meeting in Pyongyang with leader Kim Jong Il in 2000.

His successor, the late President Roh Moo-hyun, maintained the Sunshine Policy but Kim Dae-jung saw his work unravel with the election of conservative President Lee Myung-bak in 2007, who conditioned aid to the North on the regime's commitment to nuclear disarmament.

North Korea cut off nearly all reconciliation ties last year and suspended most of the joint projects that had sprung up in the wake of warming relations, though it announced its intention this week to restore some of them, including reunions of families divided for decades after the 1950-53 Korean War.

Over the past year, as international tensions rose over Pyongyang's continued nuclear defiance, Kim rallied up until the end for Seoul to find a way to engage the North.

He said in January that Koreans on both sides of the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone must be mindful of their "painful and tragic" history and work together to establish peace and security on the Korean peninsula.

"The South and North have never been free from mutual fear and animosity over the past half-century — not even for a single day," he told reporters. "When we cooperate, both Koreas will enjoy peace and economic prosperity."

Kim Jong-il is also mourning his passing according to China Daily
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/...ent_8585345.htm

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 10:22 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Kim Dae-jung dies at 85

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Super Villains often due mourn the passing of their arch nemesis.

The Joker would certainly lament if Batman died.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 10:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Damn, I read that and for a second I read Kim Jong-Il... Then I reread it... Ah well, only a matter of time.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2009 11:19 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Re: Kim Dae-jung dies at 85

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/...ent_8585345.htm

interesting. Sad I had never heard of the guy until his death...

I guess with all the American media I am exposed to, and not speaking Korean, voices calling for peaceful resolution and engagement with NK seem to get drowned out. Hopefully his death will embolden those who supported his cause.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:21 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by inimalist
interesting. Sad I had never heard of the guy until his death...

I guess with all the American media I am exposed to, and not speaking Korean, voices calling for peaceful resolution and engagement with NK seem to get drowned out. Hopefully his death will embolden those who supported his cause.
Into shooting the hell out of those NK bastards!

stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:23 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

which? the poor oppressed, starving people or those forced at gun point to be part of the NK military?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:37 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Never head of him.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:40 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Kim was illin'. (Geeet it? lol....geeeeeeet it?)

Then he dieded.

lol

I'm so cool

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:46 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

which? the poor oppressed, starving people or those forced at gun point to be part of the NK military?
I was joking... no expression

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:46 AM
dadudemon

Were all of them forced to join the NK military?

Or were only a select few forced to join?

Yes, I am serious. I don't know.

I wonder about volunteers.

Probably some answers.

What do you think?

Know anything?

Something?

Huh?

Hm?

?

Last edited by dadudemon on Aug 19th, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 12:48 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Damn, I read that and for a second I read Kim Jong-Il... Then I reread it... Ah well, only a matter of time.

Same here. I got happy for a quick second.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 01:43 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by §P0oONY
I was joking... no expression

I was being melodramatic smile

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 06:38 AM
dadudemon

I was being melodramatic smile

I was being interesting, while also being serious.

I'd like to know, fer realz.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2009 06:39 AM