KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Soda Tax considered to pay for health care reform

Soda Tax considered to pay for health care reform
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Kandy

Soda Tax considered to pay for health care reform

quote:
The Senate Finance Committee today is hearing proposals on how to pay for President Obama's proposed universal health care plan, which is expected to cost more than $1 trillion. Among the proposals, as Consumer Affairs reports: A three-cent tax on sodas as well as other sugary drinks, including energy and sports drinks like Gatorade. Diet sodas would be exempt.

"While many factors promote weight gain, soft drinks are the only food or beverage that has been shown to increase the risk of overweight and obesity, which, in turn, increase the risk of diabetes, stroke, and many other health problems," Michael Jacobson of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, which is pushing the idea, said in his testimony. "Soft drinks are nutritionally worthless…[and] are directly related to weight gain, partly because beverages are more conducive to weight gain than solid foods."

According to Jacobson, "Beverage companies market more than 14 billion gallons of calorie-laden soft drinks annually. That is equivalent to about 506 12-oz. servings per year, or 1.4 servings per day, for every man, woman, and child."

He argued that each penny of tax on a 12 ounce drink would raise $1.5 billion annually and lower consumption roughly one percent, improving overall health. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that a three-cent tax would generate $24 billion over the next four years.

Such a tax might well be considered a "sin tax" similar to the taxes levied on cigarettes, which are extremely high compared to most other consumer products. Jacobson also wants the taxes on alcohol raised -- he argues that doing so will "compensate society for the costs of alcohol abuse and alcoholism and to marginally reduce problem drinking." The argument echoes the idea of cigarette taxes helping pay for health care costs associated with smoking.

In his testimony, Jacobson also called for a ban on artificial trans fat and a reduction in sodium levels in food.

Any soda tax a proposal is unlikely to pass easily, as New York Governor David Paterson well knows. Paterson's proposed 18-percent tax on soft drinks died amid pressure from the industry and resistance among New Yorkers who didn't want to pay more for soda.

It would also, it should be noted, only pay for a tiny portion of the health care overhaul.

Susan Neely of the American Beverage Association, which represents Coca-Cola Co., PepsiCo Inc. and others, told the Wall Street Journal that the tax would hit poor Americans hardest and would not lower consumption.

"Taxes are not going to teach our children how to have a healthy lifestyle," she said. Neely said the industry backs programs to lower consumption of sugary drinks in schools.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/0...ry5009316.shtml

Good idea? It sounds like a very reasonable solution to raise revenue imo.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 03:48 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Could just stop using aspertame in everything. That way they will save money from having to produce aspertame and the people won't have to pay for ill effects it has on health.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 04:15 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

And have the tax be less on sodas that use sugar instead of corn syrup and no tax on sodas that use natural or unprocessed sugars. In terms of artificial sweetners, I agree on taxing Aspartame and Saccharine (where it's legal) but I'm not sure if sucralose should be taxed since all research that I know of indicates that it's fairly harmless. Also, taxes on sweetners made from imported products should be greater than those grown domestically to encourage domestic farm production.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 04:21 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol

yay pet issues.

We don't want the government to be able to tax based on how harmful it thinks something is.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 04:24 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Jello
And have the tax be less on sodas that use sugar instead of corn syrup and no tax on sodas that use natural or unprocessed sugars. In terms of artificial sweetners, I agree on taxing Aspartame and Saccharine (where it's legal) but I'm not sure if sucralose should be taxed since all research that I know of indicates that it's fairly harmless. Also, taxes on sweetners made from imported products should be greater than those grown domestically to encourage domestic farm production.

Yeah, maybe we can base all taxation on your personal preferences. That would be great.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Well one of the purposes of taxation, specifically sales tax is to regulate and discourage bad behavior. So if you're going to tax sweetners, why not do it in a way that encourages better health, better flavor and product quality, and more advantages to domestic product?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:04 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Well one of the purposes of taxation, specifically sales tax is to regulate and discourage bad behavior. So if you're going to tax sweetners, why not do it in a way that encourages better health, better flavor and product quality, and more advantages to domestic product?

Because flavour is subjective for one.

Then because science regarding nuztizion is very unclear at times, Fr one unprocessed, natural sugard aren't inherently good.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:12 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

do taxes on cigarettes make people smoke less?

does the prohibition of something reduce its use?

such "morality" taxes are useless

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:13 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

can I get specific tax exemptions/rules? I'm a diabetic, so all sugar is very harmful to me. Therefore I should pay more taxes than others, or companies should have to pay more when I buy their products.

also, such taxes are anti-competition, with the government biasing what products will be successful in the market.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:14 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Then I insist that the government lower my personal taxes, as I exercise regularly and rarely eat fastfood, while the guy who doesn't exercise and eats Burger King 4 days a week should increase.

What about basing taxes on bodyfat, cholesterol levels, blood-sugar etc?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol, the market for fake HbA1C results would skyrocket.

by the way, can I buy some of your blood Rob? Just to cover my bases

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:20 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Reminds me a bit of Gattaca.

Sure, buy two pints and I'll throw in a semen sample for free.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:23 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

embarrasment I bet you say that to everyone who buys your vital fluids

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:25 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by inimalist
embarrasment I bet you say that to everyone who buys your vital fluids

Just you, just you.

BTW. I recommend you buy this book, as to not waste me.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:35 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

The government should be bias towards domestic products, especially right now. Protectionism works. As for the subjective nature of my argument, ignoring the health research, I challenge you to find someone who prefers the flavor of High Fructose Corn Syrup to cane or beet sugar. I challenge you to find someone who prefers the flavor of any other sweetener to sucralose.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 05:56 PM
tsilamini

how about the fact that there are people to whom the taste of sweetener isn't the primary motivation behind their usage of it?

I can't drink sugar, natural or processed, so why should I be taxed for a genetic condition?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 06:03 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I can't drink sugar, natural or processed, so why should I be taxed for a genetic condition?

From this thread's POV, you wouldn't be taxed here, as you're likely not going to buy fountain drinks.

But I understand what you mean in the bigger scheme.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 06:11 PM
tsilamini

jello was promoting the taxing of sweeteners. I jumped to assuming that meant sweeteners in diet soft drinks. my bad if thats not what he was saying

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 06:17 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

someone mentioned aspartame so if it were to expand to diet sweetners, what i meant was not taxing sucralose but taxing the other products since they taste worse and have more proven negative health effects.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 06:18 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

jello was promoting the taxing of sweeteners. I jumped to assuming that meant sweeteners in diet soft drinks. my bad if thats not what he was saying

Seems he's down for taxing sweeteners, on the health issue.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2009 06:34 PM