KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Will we continue to evolve?

Will we continue to evolve?
Started by: allofyousuckkk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

Thoughts

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 05:27 AM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

evolution as i understand it is a process of necessity... so as long as there isnt a necessity than no.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:12 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

You never know.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:14 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rain Dog
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd like to get rid of appendixes. Aren't they daft, eh?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:18 AM
Rain Dog is currently offline Click here to Send Rain Dog a Private Message Find more posts by Rain Dog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Things change and mutate all the time.

The question is will humans take part in the process by adding chips or whatever to us?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 07:40 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Not in a strictly natural way. The best way for a human to adapt it to get better stuff so there's no evolutionary need to evolve. As our understanding of genetics improves we might be able to artificially evolve, but that won't happen for a long time.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 02:17 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

We won't really evolve because there aren't any significant factors that prevent large numbers of people from reproducing.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 03:15 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I'd like to get rid of appendixes. Aren't they daft, eh?

Look up Appendix and Immune Systems, some studies recently have found that it might be useful, and also useful in other aspects. Quite interesting. I'd be happy to keep it and hope to get through life without having to get rid of it due to appendicitus and so on. smile

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:26 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:39 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

That was the looniest part of the whole movie.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 07:54 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Depends how often Republicans are voted into office. shifty

Evolution, at the very least, is simply a species adapting to its environment. Humans can pretty much control their immediate natural environment, so there's not much pressure coming from that as there used to be. Our man-made environment is another story. If we develop, say, an increasingly short-sighted and frenetic society, certainly there will be an evolutionary advantage to those already genetically skewed in that direction.

Basically, change is a constant. I would think evolution, as a subset of change, would be likewise.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 07:55 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
That was the looniest part of the whole movie.

Nah.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 07:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

by definition all species are constantly evolving by having offspring which live in an environment.

Evolution is not synonymous with progress or improvement, so even the lack of selection pressure to make us harder, better, faster, stronger does not mean we are not evolving.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:10 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by inimalist
by definition all species are constantly evolving by having offspring which live in an environment.

Evolution is not synonymous with progress or improvement, so even the lack of selection pressure to make us harder, better, faster, stronger does not mean we are not evolving.

Okay, that raises an interesting question. Given the world we exist in, how would it influence our future evolution? Higher dexterity for typing? Changes in language processing? Decline of an immune system?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:14 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Okay, that raises an interesting question. Given the world we exist in, how would it influence our future evolution? Higher dexterity for typing? Changes in language processing? Decline of an immune system?

well, rather than thinking about traits that we use, we need to think of what it is that allows people to procreate.

I think there is a tendency toward less variation in the physical features of women, but I'm unaware of statistics that show there is a huge population of people who want to have kids, yet are unable. Lots of fat and ugly people have babies. I guess sterile people...

I think it is going to be a form of sexual selection rather than natural selection, with various social groups becoming so insular that cross-group inter breeding wont occur as often. The problem is, the nature of human technology seems to push against this.

So, like, maybe selection against people who can't drive and thus get into car accidents and die before reproduction, but I honestly wouldn't know.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:18 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I've said in the past some things about the future of human evolution that seemed quite crude at the time but still stand a small measure of scrutiny.

Need for higher levels of intelligence equals larger brains.

Lesser need for physical strength due to applications of technology means smaller bodies.

Larger need for sensory input to those larger brains (particularly vision) = larger or more sensitive sensory organs (namely larger eyes)

Living outwith the solar system or any star system = no need for skin pigmentation to protect from UV light = white/grey skin.

So in summary...large head with large eyes...small body...grey skin.

I think I recognise that type of appearance.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden101
I've said in the past some things about the future of human evolution that seemed quite crude at the time but still stand a small measure of scrutiny.

Need for higher levels of intelligence equals larger brains.

Lesser need for physical strength due to applications of technology means smaller bodies.

Larger need for sensory input to those larger brains (particularly vision) = larger or more sensitive sensory organs (namely larger eyes)

Living outwith the solar system or any star system = no need for skin pigmentation to protect from UV light = white/grey skin.

So in summary...large head with large eyes...small body...grey skin.

I think I recognise that type of appearance.

So those "Greys" people are always talking about must be humans, humans from the future traveling back in time to secure DNA from archaic man . Ah ha, it's so simple.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 24th, 2009 at 08:39 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:31 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Them BASTARDS...

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:33 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden101
Them BASTARDS...

You likely just called your great (X1,000,000,000,000,00) grandchildren bastards.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

after 100 000 000 000 generations it becomes ok

same with incest...

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 08:40 PM