KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Marriage and Affairs

Marriage and Affairs
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Marriage and Affairs

I was reading some studies in connection with social change in our society and one of those included marriage and infidelity.

Interestingly, while men are typically attributed to cheating in marriages, women, while still lagging, are quite near in numbers of those who have had an affair or a lover.

What are your thoughts on infidelity of men and women in marriage institutions?
What do you think causes people in committed relationships to have an affair?

Have you been in such situation? How, if at all, do you think it affects children?
Or if you were a child of a parent who was having an affair has it affected you at all and if so, how?

Is affair better option than divorce? Has the marriage in modern society mutated? Should 'sanctity of marriage' be kept and how is it important if at all?

Please do not bring religion into this - this is purely a discussion of a social phenomenon.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Nov 6th, 2009 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 01:43 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I think society needs to realize that everyone has urges, that everyone has the ability to hurt someone regardless of gender, and that no sex before marriage is idiotic. I think that before two people get married, both should be at least 28 years old, have had sex more than once with each other, and must be absolutely sure about their sexual orientation.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 01:55 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

"Open Relationships" are the most logical structure imo. But without some real changed in our culture, most won't go for that.

I've always seen cheating as a symptom of deeper issues in a lot of cases, so placing blame squarely on the cheater isn't a good way to look at it.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 01:57 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
"Open Relationships" are the most logical structure imo. But without some real changed in our culture, most won't go for that.

I've always seen cheating as a symptom of deeper issues in a lot of cases, so placing blame squarely on the cheater isn't a good way to look at it.

I concur. I think affairs stem from deeper issues and many are emotional as well as sexual.
I read somewhere that only 12% of those who cheated did so because the other woman was incredibly attractive. Other 88% did it for emotional fulfilment as well as sex.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 02:01 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

IMO it's not even worth getting married these days.

Best to stay single, kept your own bank account and not have babies. People (men or women) are not capable of staying true to each other or having long term relationships.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Last edited by Blinky on Nov 6th, 2009 at 02:11 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 02:09 AM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I concur. I think affairs stem from deeper issues and many are emotional as well as sexual.
I read somewhere that only 12% of those who cheated did so because the other woman was incredibly attractive. Other 88% did it for emotional fulfilment as well as sex.

Definitely. I think there's a kind of gender double standard for cheating, and neither perception is accurate at all.

Men cheat because they're douchebags. Dump 'm baby, don't even bother thinking about any possible shortcomings on your part in this whole affair...

Women cheat because A. they're whores, or B. their marriage wasn't fulfilling, and it's just the guy's fault again.

Not a healthy attitude to have at all.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 02:10 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

polyamoury for all!

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 03:00 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Blinky
Best to stay single, kept your own bank account and not have babies.

That's got to be the least sustainable idea I've ever heard.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 03:07 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That's got to be the least sustainable idea I've ever heard.

"Sustainable" in what respect? For humanity? If that's what you mean, I could care less.

When I wrote "single" I should have said "unmarried", to be more clear.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Last edited by Blinky on Nov 6th, 2009 at 03:30 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 03:27 AM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

A lot of foks will not agree with my opinion on this but FUDGE IT!

The fact is people don't take Marriage seriously these days. I can tell this from my family and the families of friends. There are too many single moms out there that get pregnant and expect the guy to wed them and be happy. Not the case, even worse marry another guy just so that the kid can have the father image. It may work and it may not work you're gambling 50/50 in that case.

Even worse is when people marry out of fear of been lonely. I personally think that's the reason why divorces continue to increase in our culture. People just marry out of fear of been alone and take the next thing to salvage. Now, I'm friggin 33 years old and my older aunts continue to worry about when will I tie the knot and shit. Well, sorry, ain't going to happen and when it does it will be when I know is the right time.

Love me for what I am.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 04:06 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by inimalist
polyamoury for all!

If you're careful, that's a good suggestion.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 05:04 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by inimalist
polyamoury for all!

Doesn't that sort of assume that all people really want to be polyamorous?

Joking aside, the existence of jealousy and evidence that women's brain chemistry changes after having children suggests that universal polyamory just wouldn't be very stable in the long term without massive leaps in medical science.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 06:12 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I take marriage pretty seriously, but i also think sex before marriage is something everyone should indulge in. find the right person, and make sure they're the right person before you commit to something.

I don't like kindly on infidelity, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 06:15 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: Marriage and Affairs

Please do not bring religion into this - this is purely a discussion of a social phenomenon.

I'd argue that Religion does play a part in it.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 02:08 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Marriage and Affairs

'The key to staying happily married is cheating, but you must never, ever, ever fall in love with the person(s) you're having an affair with and you must keep your spouse completely ignorant of the activities.' - A man much wiser than myself who shall remain anonymous

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 04:21 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by WickedDynamite
A lot of foks will not agree with my opinion on this but FUDGE IT!

The fact is people don't take Marriage seriously these days. I can tell this from my family and the families of friends. There are too many single moms out there that get pregnant and expect the guy to wed them and be happy. Not the case, even worse marry another guy just so that the kid can have the father image. It may work and it may not work you're gambling 50/50 in that case.

Even worse is when people marry out of fear of been lonely. I personally think that's the reason why divorces continue to increase in our culture. People just marry out of fear of been alone and take the next thing to salvage. Now, I'm friggin 33 years old and my older aunts continue to worry about when will I tie the knot and shit. Well, sorry, ain't going to happen and when it does it will be when I know is the right time.

Love me for what I am.

I actually agree with you. I think it's partially from desensitization in culture and partially because people enter marriage when they're financially unprepared and emotionally immature. It ****ing boggles my mind how many people don't know that like, "I'm person A and person C is in love with me. If I do action B, it will have an affect on person C." And it's not about marital sanctity or not having sex or conservative morals or whatever. It's about this slightly sociopathic inclination that many people seem to have in regards to relationships.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 04:22 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Bardock42
I'd argue that Religion does play a part in it.

It pays absolutely no part in any question I asked in original post unless a religious person offers a reasoning of 'Devil made him/her do it'.
Post clearly states that sociological perspective is being challenged and that person should not include religious aspects in answering the question about structure of our society.

It palys no part in answering why people cheat, nor how it affects children, nor should we save marriage for our society and if that is at all important and has marriage changed.

Again...unless you answer ''devil did it''.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 12:38 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Agreed, it pays no part in the discussion. Peopld do marry in a civil manner and just skip religious weddings and stuff.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 12:43 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It pays absolutely no part in any question I asked in original post unless a religious person offers a reasoning of 'Devil made him/her do it'.
Post clearly states that sociological perspective is being challenged and that person should not include religious aspects in answering the question about structure of our society.

It palys no part in answering why people cheat, nor how it affects children, nor should we save marriage for our society and if that is at all important and has marriage changed.

Considering the concept of marriage/being faithful/staying together is heavily entrenched with religious ideals, Bardick42 does have a point, just saying.

You can ignore the religious aspect and your thread still works, though.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 12:46 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I disagree, the religious views people have, or also the ones the children of them have, do all play part in how it affects their children, it might even play part in why people cheat and it relates to other points raised in this thread.

I agree that the metaphysical aspects of religion are definitely not too important of here but the sociological and psychological impacts of it seem to be at least part of what you mean to discuss, no?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 12:50 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote